Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Criminal charges

Can you lose your fire standards if you are convicted of a misdemeaner?? We have a new recruit that was charged with a 1st degree misdemeaner and we were wondering if his standards would be affected. I thought it had to be a felony conviction. Any info will help I can't find it in my state statutes.

I don't think criminal charges of any kind will revoke any training you and certification you have, at least in this state. However, each department can certainly have their own rules based on criminal charges. For example, you get put on probation or suspended. Or if you commit capital felony murder, you might not lose your FFI cert but you won't be a FF in this dept anymore.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Check with your state. Some limit 'crimes of moral turpitude' are misdemeanors but might disqualify someone.

There are also some misdemeanors that require the convicted to register as a sex offender. I seriously doubt you would want one of those on the department.

You probably wouldn't lose the cert, but your ability to get a job or volunteer will be gone.

Exclamation

It may revoke your EMT and above certifications in EMS. Most states it does.

Best thing is to check with the authority that issued the certifications.

Forum Member

What state are you from? The best idea has already been posted. Check with the certifying agancy and see what they say. Each state is different in their rules and regulations.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

FL. I looked up the statute and it states as long as your not convicted of a felony or a midemeaner that involved lying or fraud your good. I'm sure the EMS standards are the same. Its all up to the chief though but it seems the kid is alright. The charge was pretty simple nothing to bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information