MembersZone Subscriber

Default PPE, SCBA, BA from around the Globe

This is to quench my own fasination with PPE/SCBAs from around the world.

I would like to compile a complete list of SCBAs from around the globe, discus with the international members what BA/SCBA they use, and post pics of SCBAs and PPE from all over the globe.

I guess I can start by listing the SCBA/BAs that I can think of. These are all present in the US:

Scott
    Drager
    MSA
    Cairns (Now new name, cant recall right now)
    North
    Survivair
    ISI
    Interspiro
    STS

International:

Kawasaki

It seems a lot of non US fire services use with Drager or Interspiro, is that correct?

Japan of course uses Kawasaki.

Are there others?

I am particularly interested in what the Breathing apparatus in Russia and Eastern Europe is like. Russia seems to have a lot of goo rebreather technology.

Any other brands or modeles out there?

How about the UK service or the Aussi Service? What make and model do you use?

Also, lets discuss helmets and PPE.

How different are the standards and designs of the various regions of the globe and services?
    Last edited by SamsonFCDES; 06-16-2005 at 02:16 PM.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

MembersZone Subscriber

Kawasaki SCBA

Pretty basic unit, nothing fancy here, not much different then a Scott IIA.

Dealer with specs:

http://www.shimatonet.co.jp/saftyequ....htm#breathing
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

Forum Member

Add North to the list. We had them for a while (low bidder)... quality and design so bad that they mase SurpriseAirs look good!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Most Advanced SCBA available anywhere right now.

SCAMP (Super Critical Air Mobility Pack)

Used my NASA fire and rescue. 1 hour of breathing plus body cooling all in a pakage comparable to a 30min SCBA in size and weight.

About 10 grand a pac last I checked, plus you need the compressor/cryogenic unit to fill the bottles with liquid air.

Pic with cover off:

STS website:

http://www.superthermal.com/scamp.html

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    Add North to the list. We had them for a while (low bidder)... quality and design so bad that they mase SurpriseAirs look good!
    Ahhh...the North SCBA. Probly always going to be the low bid.

About 1.5-2 grand.

Mercifully I dont think they have a unit currently legal for US in the US fire service. No HUD, RIC, Integrated PASS.

POS

Permanently Removed

Me- I will always love the Scott model. They are the best
    hands down. #2 would have to be Survivair. #3 Would be MSA.

As for the PPE- I guess Globe, Janesville and Lion are all
    pretyy much up there.

Helmet wise- You already know it baby, Phenix

Here is a picture showing all three. The caption inside
    nails it!

-Bou

Last edited by CALFFBOU; 06-16-2005 at 07:33 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default PPE

Most countries in Europe use Bristol Gear. It is lightweight and very comfortable. Boston uses it and so do many departments in the United States. You can get most common outer shells with it too. My department uses ISI and we love them, they are so easy to use and virtually maintnence free. We also save a ton of air with the Airswitch Technology. Here's the Websites:

www.intsafety.com

www.bristoluniforms.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I have scoured the WWW, nowhere can I find any info on what SCBA is used in Russia, or China for that matter, Hong Kong specificaly.

Germany it seems of course uses Drager, twin cylender set up it looks like. Anybody know the duration of these units?

The German Fire Service has a rather interesting helmet...

It is of the same stamp as the Wermacht Helmet of WWII fame. Only these are made from Aluminum. Nazi resemblance aside, this helmet design must be very very efficent. A lot of current day militaries use this same basic desgin only built from moder materials.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is another look at Japanese gear.

Kawasaki SCBA. Those realy look kind of junky if I say so myself.

Volunteer fire Corp PPE. These are the guys called out when there is massive disaster...firestorm, Godzilla...

Looks mostly to be reflective/water proof gear. Not much thermal protection, just radiant/water barrier or so it seems. Note the Samurie style headgear...

Forum Member

We use Draeger PSS 100 BodyGuard SCBA sets. Electronic air management and distress signal units. Next step is an electronic entry board which monitors air useage of wearers and sens messages to them to advise them of time of whistle etc. PPE is Ballyclare PBI Gold, with Cromwell fire helmets (of the tactical tupperware genre).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

A shot of our PPE..
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

Jake,Care to enlighten me on how the air saver switch saves any more air than a Scott 4.5? 0 loss if used correctly.I'm in agreement with Bou(listening for dull thud)on gear with the exception of the helmet.I prefer cow and Cairns cow at that.It's an East coast thing. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Rescue101
    Jake,Care to enlighten me on how the air saver switch saves any more air than a Scott 4.5? 0 loss if used correctly.I'm in agreement with Bou(listening for dull thud)on gear with the exception of the helmet.I prefer cow and Cairns cow at that.It's an East coast thing. T.C.
    OK Scott guys...

Please try to control your fanatical Scott babbling...

Yes, nice pack....

Wrong topic!!

Lets get over it and move on, we are trying to discuss PPE/SCBA worldwide, not another "My SCBA is better then your SCBA" BS sesion.

In any case there are more Dragers in use worldwide then any other SCBA, they were the first SCBA, they have the most years in service, and they are the largest SCBA manufacturer.

Forum Member

Samson,ol' bean.I believe the query is in the right column.In direct query to Jake2415 who states that the air switch technology on his ISI "saves a ton of air".I'm betting it doesn't save one ounce over my Scott 4.5. Savvy? So unless you know something I don't,let's let the thread continue eh? 'Specially since you started it.It's always interesting to see how the other side lives.And I could get into "pack wars"with you anytime but I'm not inclined to do so. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 06-17-2005 at 06:46 PM.

OK I'm from Victoria, Australia. We have two fire services in this state, the MFB (Metropolitan Fire Brigade) and CFA (Country Fire Authority). I'm CFA and we use Sabre Centurion BA and I believe there are also Drager units in service in other areas of the CFA but I have not used them. I believe the mets use Dragers, not 100% sure though. Haven't used any gear so I really have nothing to compare them with but I find our gear pretty good. It's easy to use, pretty reliable and with the carbon fibre tanks nice and light (the steel tanks aren't to bad but a few people complain, whingers! ). We have a pretty good maintenance program, every set is replaced by a fully serviced set every 6 months and the previous set is returned for a full service so the gear just gets rolled through the brigades as it's serviced. If you have any specific questions about the gear I will attempt to find the answers for you.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Since Cairns and MSA are now the same company, wouldn't the Cairns SCBAs being MSA now?

Actually I didn't know Cairns made airpacks.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Permanently Removed

Originally posted by SamsonFCDES

OK Scott guys...

Please try to control your fanatical Scott babbling...

Yes, nice pack....

Wrong topic!!
    I just cant turn off the love for the Scotts.

Last edited by CALFFBOU; 06-19-2005 at 10:45 PM.

Forum Member

Here are a couple of pics of CFA (Country Fire Authority, Victoria, Australia for those unaware) of current PPE/PPC and SCBA (Or as it's known to us down under... CABA).... As indictated by someone previously, the BA sets are of Sabre Centurion type, with 207BAR Fibre wrapped cylinders....

The first picture shows current-style PPE, with added silver striping.... The rest shows older style with lime-only... and yes, those jackets are made of wool! And the pants are only proban treated cotton..... Apparently our nomex gear is comming soon (It's been comming soon for 5 years!)

Forum Member

Pic two...

Forum Member

Pic three...

Forum Member

tell me about it. It took me a year just to get a new pair of boots in i ended up getting a pair myself out of my own pocket.

At least the CFA has got its act reasonably together. Up here we are only just getting our act together.
    Last edited by PattyV; 06-20-2005 at 06:36 AM.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

Boots are one thing that are very easy to get down here..... Seems they are in an abundance. It only becomes an issue when you are looking for a replacement set of boots, rather that your first pair. Because it seems that a lot of people are wearing them for non-firefighting purposes.... and when head quaters see a ruined set of boots, belonging to someone who's done 10 runs in the last year, they don't rush to spend $300+ on a new pair.....

Our new members will get brand new boots before they get any other gear..... Wildfire gear is easier to get, however Sructural is like pulling teeth.... and when you do finally get some, it'll be some recycled crap that's well past the used by date.

MembersZone Subscriber

Since Cairns and MSA are now the same company, wouldn't the Cairns SCBAs being MSA now?
    Cairns was split up to a number of folks... MSA got the helmet end of the name, Globe got the turnout gear side, and the SCBA went elsewhere.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sorry I've been gone

I was gone for awhile, but to answer the question about how an ISI saves more air is quite simple, try to follow: When you don't have to unhook a regulator to go off of air you can go in and out of a fire and switch on and off of air, therefore saving air. What do you do with your scotts when your inside and on air and you need to come out to get a tool? Do you disconnect your regulator? With the ISI you can remain completly packed up mask and all and all you have to do to go on air is push a switch, not dock a regulator. Also lets talk about Scott's new pack which has more electrical problems than a KME and the "Quick Change" air cylinder was a great idea that flopped also. The Scott 4.5 is a decent pack, but think about all new packs and the electronics. The Scotts HUD lights are outside the facepiece and are difficult to see in heavy smoke, let alone when soot covers them up. Scott has also had lots of problems with backframes cracking and facepieces cracking. So tell me why your Scott is the greatest pack out there? Have you even seen the ISI? I wont even go into how crappy Dreager and MSA are. Thats my story

MembersZone Subscriber

HHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO BOY!!!

It's gonna get WARM in here!

Thread Information