Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question What's happening with the 9/11/01 Memorial at WTC

Wednesday, June 15, 2005
    COMMENTARY: 9/11 memorial's purpose falls off-track
    Most Americans have not been paying attention to the bureaucratic wrangling and political jockeying that has plagued the construction of the World Trade Center Memorial at Ground Zero in lower Manhattan. But it's not just New Yorkers and developers and 9/11 families who should care.
    A good portion of the project is federally subsidized. All of us have not only a financial stake, but also a moral stake, in protecting the honor of the victims -- and the dignity of our country.
    A Blame America Monument is not what we need or deserve. But it looks like one is already in the works.
    In a startling op-ed printed in the Wall Street Journal on Tuesday, Debra Burlingame exposed the "Great Ground Zero Heist." Burlingame is on the board of directors of the World Trade Center Memorial Foundation and the sister of Charles F. "Chic" Burlingame III, pilot of American Airlines flight 77, which terrorists crashed into the Pentagon on 9/11. She reports that the World Trade Center memorial will encompass a "cultural complex" whose primary tenant will be something called the "International Freedom Center."
    According to an IFC fact sheet, the project "will be an integral part of humanity's response to September 11." An educational and cultural center will host exhibits, lectures, debates and films "that will nurture a global conversation on freedom in our world today." Tellingly though, as Burlingame notes, early plans for the center that included a large mural of an Iraqi voter were scratched in favor of a photograph of Martin Luther King Jr. and Lyndon Johnson when the designs went public. So much for nurturing that global conversation.
    The center's "civic engagement network" will connect visitors to "service" opportunities. Translation: Left-wing activist recruitment center. As the fact sheet notes, "leading NGOs (non-governmental organizations) will be offered outposts at the Center to reach out to its visitors."
    On its face, the project may seem fairly unobjectionable enough (putting aside how far afield it all seems from the task of remembering the victims and heroes of 9/11) -- until, that is, you take a closer look at the chief movers and shakers behind the project.
    Tom Bernstein, a deep-pocketed Hollywood financier and real estate mogul, is the primary driver behind the IFC. Bernstein's longtime friendship and business partnership with Yale classmate George W. Bush gives cover to his radical activism as president of Human Rights First. The group opposed Bush Attorney General Alberto Gonzales over the administration's preventive detention policies and has joined with the ACLU in mau-mauing the Pentagon over alleged prisoner abuse.
    Among the many supposedly respectable scholars consulted on the project is Eric Foner. He's the unhinged Columbia University professor who reacted to 9/11 by griping: "I'm not sure which is more frightening: the horror that engulfed New York City or the apocalyptic rhetoric emanating daily from the White House." The IFC's list of scholars and advisers also includes left-leaning elites such as Henry Louis Gates at Harvard University; Stephen B. Heintz, IFC secretary and president of the Rockefeller Bros. Fund; Walter Isaacson, CEO of the Aspen Institute; and Michael Posner, executive director of Human Rights First.
    Burlingame also reports that Anthony Romero, ACLU executive director, "is pushing IFC organizers for exhibits that showcase how civil liberties in this country have been curtailed since September 11." Then there's billionaire Bush-basher George Soros, who Burlingame reports is an early funder and supporter of the IFC and whose spirit infuses this grievance-mongering enterprise.
    Do we really want Ground Zero to be the playground of anti-war financiers, moral equivalence peddlers, and Guantanamo Bay alarmists? As Burlingame told me yesterday, "Ground Zero belongs to all the American people. If Ground Zero is lost, whether through negligence or malfeasance, it will be a loss that is felt for generations to come."
    Richard Tofel, IFC president, is minimizing dissenters. In a statement, he told me that "we understand that a few do not" agree with the project's stated mission of promoting the "cause of freedom." The question is not whether most Americans support a monument to freedom, but whether they will stand by while saboteurs convert it into The Ultimate Guilt Complex.

Voice your opinion here: http://www.renewnyc.com/Memorial/frm_memcomments.asp

Michelle Malkin is author of "Invasion: How America Still Welcomes Terrorists, Criminals, and Other Foreign Menaces to Our Shores." Michelle Malkin's e-mail address is malkin@comcast.net.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

This is my opinion and my opinion alone, if one should happen to disagree with me then that is their own opinion...

There should not be any type of memorial other than a plaqe at the base of where the buildings once stood, with the date of September 11, 2001 and the names of the deceased, kind of like the Vietnam Wall.

Take a minute and imagine...

Imagine that your mother, father, brother, sister, spouse or even child has past on (not on 9/11/01). Imagine going to their gravesite one beautiful summers day on perhaps their birthday. You go there to leave some flowere or a gift. As you near their grave, you notice something odd. You notice that where there was once grass, there is now hard concrete. Just beyond the concrete there is a small building. You venture on inside this building and see that the ground has turned to a marble floor and in the center of this building is a pool about 1ft deep. You notice markings on the side of the pool, so you take a closer look. You see that the names of the 20 or 30 deceased people that they had to move in order to make this. No more grave markers with the loving remarks of the dead, no more places for the red roses for your mother who grew them. No stone to place a birthday hat for your son or daughter.

That is exactly what would happen if they build something there.

Once again I state, this is my opinion and my opinion alone.

I also would like to apologize in case I offended anyone in anyway.

I just want to say that I was not directly affected by 9/11/01

Default If your in town...

If you've been reading the papers lately, you've seen a lot about the Freedom Tower, the Westside Stadium, the rail link between Lower Manhattan and Kennedy International Airport and Donald Trump's grand
    plans for Ground Zero. In less than three months, the nation and world will once again come together for a national day of mourning on September 11, 2005. What happened to the memorial? Please join us and stand with America on Monday to refocus the world's attention on the memorial at Ground Zero.

WHAT:
    PRESS CONFERENCE & RALLY

WHEN:
    12:00 Noon, Monday, June 20, 2005 (Please arrive at 11:45 am)

WHERE:
    Ground Zero at the Corner of Church & Liberty (rain or shine) In the event we are blocked from using this location, the press conference will be held in Battery Park at 12:15p.m. adjacent to the bronze Sphere which serves as a temporary memorial.

REMEMBRANCE:
    Please wear black or yellow to symbolize unity, or wear clothing that symbolizes your loved one's affiliation and bring a picture of your lost loved one to hold over your heart.

ORGANIZERS:

Advocates for 9/11 Fallen Heroes
    www.911fallenheroes.org

Cantor Fitzgerald Relief Fund
    www.cantorrelief.org

Coalition of 9/11 Families
    www.coalitionof911families.org

Fix the Fund
    www.fixthefund.org

September 11th Families Association
    www.911wvfa.org

September's Mission
    www.septembersmission.org

Skyscraper Safety Campaign
    www.skyscrapersafety.org

Take Back the Memorial
    www.takebackthememorial.com

Voices of September 11th
    www.voicesofsept11.org

WDOYLE 9/11 Support Group
    WDoyle911supportgroup@l
    istserve.aol.com

WTC Families for Proper Burial
    www.wtcfamiliesforproperburial.com

WTC Family Center
    www.wtcfamilycenter.org

World Trade Center United Family Group
    www.wtcufg.org

INFO:
    For additional information, please contact:

Bill Doyle (Father of Joseph)
    WDoyle5615@Aol.com

WTC Tower 1 101st Fl. Cantor
    http://www.joeydoyle.com
    17189486284 phone/Fax
    3472360885 Mobile

9/11 Families United to Bankrupt Terrorism
    http://www.911fsa.org
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

It makes me really angry that political extremists from the left or the right would hijack the process of creating a memorial to the thousands of victims of 9/11. I have no problem with celebrating freedom, opposing the policies of the Bush administration, or expressing other viewpoints, but this is a memorial, and the closer it stays to the purpose of remembering the victims, the less political it will be. It seems like the "experts" consulted in these matters are always the "intellectuals" and "artists," people who would create some type of vague monument that doesn't address the people who lost their lives. It's simple: Names of those lost and the organizations they represented, some information on each person that tells the visitor what made this person unique, and photos of the lost. It's not really that hard. We knew how to do it fifty years ago; let's figure it out now.

Default TODAY

June 20, 2005 -- Critics of the planned International Freedom Center near the Twin Towers site will rally today to protest what they fear will become a Ground Zero showcase for "blame-America" politics.
    Organizers are kicking off a national campaign against what they say will be a forum on issues unrelated to Sept. 11, 2001.
    The Take Back the Memorial Web site is urging relatives and friends of World Trade Center victims to hold up pictures of lost loved ones at the noon rally at Church and Liberty Streets. Richard Tofel, the Freedom Center's president, defended its focus in a recent Wall Street Journal article. He said the 9/11 memorial is "necessary but not sufficient," and that the Freedom Center will bring "a universal 'narrative of hope' to a place where hope is imperative."
    But critics say the Freedom Center will become a forum for issues ranging from the Abu Ghraib scandal and lynchings in the South to the Holocaust and the plight of refugees.
    "We want a proper, fitting, respectful Sept. 11th Memorial for the 3,000 innocent souls who perished that day," the Take Back the Memorial site says. "Not a 'history lesson about tolerance.' " Debra Burlingame, a director of the World Trade Center Memorial Foundation, has pointed out what she characterizes as the left-wing tendencies of a number of the center's directors and advisers.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

I think that the 'liberal conspiracy' in media and government that Michelle Malkin talked about is a long tired, worn out stomping piece that a right winger came up with to offset attention. Since when is NGO work a leftist thing? Can we say HERITAGE FOUNDATION?! Isn't Malkin herself on the RNC payroll?

That said...Beastie especially hit it right on the head...The memorial should be specifically for the persons who were directly affected by the events of that day. I think a center of tolerance might not be a bad idea...somewhere else....But not at Ground Zero. Not at all. I know pretty much everything that goes on in the city of New York is politicized, but it pains me greatly that no one except a determined few (229lt, FDNY40/35, etc) are jumping up and down screaming and carrying on to make sure we all never forget...

Caveman, thank you for bringing this up...I think we could all use to see the kind of crap that the politicians are trying to slide in under the radar...
    Remember KQJ943

June 22, 2005 -- The city councilman who represents Ground Zero yesterday called for a halt of the controversial International Freedom Center planned for the World Trade Center site because of concerns voiced by outraged 9/11 families. "The families have raised legitimate questions as to whether or not that type of museum should be in the memorial quadrant," said Councilman Alan Gerson.
    "We should put the Freedom Center Museum briefly on hold. We need to rethink this before we proceed," Gerson told The Post following a hearing on Ground Zero reconstruction. The Freedom Center is a separate cultural institution from the 9/11 memorial, and organizers said it will showcase great advances in the cause of democracy — such as the abolition of slavery and the defeats of fascism and communism.
    Critics — including many families of 9/11 victims — said the only history lesson that should be taught at Ground Zero is about the heroes who were killed that day. They also charge that some of the Freedom Center's organizers and advisers have an anti-American bent, sparking fears that the center will be home to "blame-America" exhibits.
    Gerson's comments came a day after hundreds of 9/11 families gathered at Ground Zero and urged Gov. Pataki to torpedo the idea of putting the Freedom Center on "hallowed ground."
    Pataki's rebuilding team has defended the plan.
    Gerson said he's not opposed to the Freedom Center and he prefers that it be located somewhere downtown. But he questioned the wisdom of having it so close to the Ground Zero memorial and said the purpose of the museum seems fuzzy. "I'm not quite sure about the mission," Gerson said. "The mission has to be clearly defined. Are you going to get into sexual freedom? Economic freedom?"
    Meanwhile, tensions flared yesterday between 9/11 family activist Debra Burlingame, whose brother was a pilot of one of the planes hijacked on 9/11, and Freedom Center president Richard Tofel.
    After both appeared on the "Fox & Friends" show to discuss their opposing views of the center, Tofel said he gently tapped Burlingame on the shoulder and said, "Nice try." Burlingame called the move condescending, and one of the show's hosts, Brian Kilmeade, complained that the off-camera comment was inappropriate.
    Tofel said his remark was not intended to be snide or condescending.
    More than 5,000 outraged citizens across the country have signed on online petition supporting the 9/11 family coalition at takebackthememorial.org.
    Pam Servertson of Redding, Calif., said: "It's so sad for the IFC to be bought and not do what is right for the 9/11 families. This is wrong and it should be stopped." Some Americans — tongue firmly in cheek — suggested other locations for the IFC. "Let the 'Blame America' crowd find another spot. Hey, how about somewhere in Iran?" said Church Parish of Oakhurst, Calif.

Take Back The Memorial.org
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

ALBANY — Gov. Pataki yesterday warned the International Freedom Center and other cultural institutions planned for Ground Zero to respect the sanctity of the site — or else "they won't be there." "We will not tolerate anything on that site that denigrates America, denigrates New York or freedom, denigrates the sacrifice and courage that the heroes showed on Sept. 11," an unusually emotional Pataki said.
    Pataki equated Ground Zero with Pearl Harbor and the beaches of Normandy and said he fully agrees with the "very valid concerns" raised recently by critics who are fearful the Freedom Center will have an anti-American bent. "Let me make things perfectly clear: To me the centerpiece of lower Manhattan has to be and always has to be the memorial," Pataki told reporters.
    He spoke out about Ground Zero after family members and The Post raised concerns about what was planned for the site and demanded that politics be kept out of it. The governor directed the Lower Manhattan Development Corp., which oversees the site, to contact the cultural institutions to "get from them an absolute guarantee that as they proceed, it will be with total respect for the sanctity of the site."
    "Those institutions are going to be required to show how they intend to be respectful of the site — which I believe is sacred ground — and in no way denigrates America, freedom, our heroes or the memory of Sept. 11. Period. "Otherwise they won't be there." Four cultural institutions are envisioned for the site: the Freedom Center, the Drawing Center art gallery, a dance facility and a theater.
    Pataki's strong comments come amid a furor ignited by Debra Burlingame, the wife of an airline pilot killed on 9/11. She recently wrote in a Wall Street Journal op-ed article charging that some officials at the Freedom Center, as well as academic advisers to the facility, are hostile to the war on terror and part of the left-wing "blame America" crowd.
    Burlingame said she was concerned that the Freedom Center may feature exhibits — some of them motivated by anti-American sentiment — about abuses at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison, slavery, the "genocide" of American Indians, the Soviet gulag, and other historical events that have nothing to do with Sept. 11. In his remarks, Pataki decried some of the art displayed at the Drawing Center, a gallery now located in SoHo and slated to move to Ground Zero.
    The center is exhibiting works that mock President Bush's phrase "Axis of Evil," and it has shown work about Abu Ghraib and an image of a plane that suggest the 9/11 attacks. Family members yesterday said Pataki didn't go far enough — and urged him to boot the Freedom Center and other cultural institutions out of Ground Zero. They blasted the governor for thinking he can obtain assurances about what type of exhibits will be featured and for even considering institutions that want to foster a "political debate."

Family members say Ground Zero should be about only one thing: honoring and remembering those who were killed on Sept. 11.
    "Pataki is out of his mind. He has his head in the sand," scoffed Burlingame, whose late brother Charles was the pilot of the American Airlines jet that crashed into the Pentagon. "This is utter baloney," she said. "He's doing damage control. There is no such thing as an absolute guarantee." Jack Lynch, whose firefighter son Michael of Engine 40 died on Sept. 11, said he doesn't necessarily oppose the Freedom Center, just the location. "It doesn't belong," Lynch said. "It has no place at Ground Zero, which doesn't need anything. It stands on its own as one of the most significant places in American history." He added, "This memorial has been hijacked by wealthy elitists with political agendas and the governor is letting them." But supporters of the Freedom Center say the separate memorial, "Reflecting Absence," planned for the site will honor the victims of the terrorist attacks. They insist that it's important for the cultural institutions to highlight struggles for freedom throughout history. Natan Sharansky, a former Soviet dissident and Israeli Cabinet member who has advised Ground Zero officials, said, "In this century's long struggle against tyranny and terror, the most important weapon which developed is the expansion of democracy and freedom. "That is exactly why a museum [the Freedom Center] telling the story by individuals and their country's struggle for freedom is so appropriate," Sharansky added.
    Tom Bernstein, chairman of the Freedom Center — and a leader in an organization that has brought a lawsuit on behalf of prisoners in Iraq and Afghanistan — said that his organization agreed with Pataki and the families that the memorial must be the centerpiece of the site.
    He said the Freedom Center shared "the commitment of the governor and 9/11 families to preserving the sanctity of the memorial site." "Our programming must, and will, respect those lost on Sept. 11th and honor the country we all love," Bernstein said. "We remain deeply committed to establishing the International Freedom Center as an integral part of the living memorial." But Bernstein did not back off from the notion that the museum should look at more than just the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. But for Rachel O'Brien, whose husband, Michael, worked for Cantor Fitzgerald and died on the 104th floor of the north tower, Ground Zero is a place for personal, not political, reflection. "I have no remains of my husband, and to me that's sacred ground," O'Brien said. "That's the last place he was . . . The whole area should be about that day."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
    ALBANY — Gov. Pataki yesterday warned the International Freedom Center and other cultural institutions planned for Ground Zero to respect the sanctity of the site — or else "they won't be there." "We will not tolerate anything on that site that denigrates America, denigrates New York or freedom, denigrates the sacrifice and courage that the heroes showed on Sept. 11," an unusually emotional Pataki said.
    Pataki equated Ground Zero with Pearl Harbor and the beaches of Normandy and said he fully agrees with the "very valid concerns" raised recently by critics who are fearful the Freedom Center will have an anti-American bent. "Let me make things perfectly clear: To me the centerpiece of lower Manhattan has to be and always has to be the memorial," Pataki told reporters.
    He spoke out about Ground Zero after family members and The Post raised concerns about what was planned for the site and demanded that politics be kept out of it. The governor directed the Lower Manhattan Development Corp., which oversees the site, to contact the cultural institutions to "get from them an absolute guarantee that as they proceed, it will be with total respect for the sanctity of the site."
    "Those institutions are going to be required to show how they intend to be respectful of the site — which I believe is sacred ground — and in no way denigrates America, freedom, our heroes or the memory of Sept. 11. Period. "Otherwise they won't be there." Four cultural institutions are envisioned for the site: the Freedom Center, the Drawing Center art gallery, a dance facility and a theater.

Build this somewhere else!

Pataki's strong comments come amid a furor ignited by Debra Burlingame, the wife of an airline pilot killed on 9/11. She recently wrote in a Wall Street Journal op-ed article charging that some officials at the Freedom Center, as well as academic advisers to the facility, are hostile to the war on terror and part of the left-wing "blame America" crowd.
    Burlingame said she was concerned that the Freedom Center may feature exhibits — some of them motivated by anti-American sentiment — about abuses at Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison, slavery, the "genocide" of American Indians, the Soviet gulag, and other historical events that have nothing to do with Sept. 11. In his remarks, Pataki decried some of the art displayed at the Drawing Center, a gallery now located in SoHo and slated to move to Ground Zero.
    The center is exhibiting works that mock President Bush's phrase "Axis of Evil," and it has shown work about Abu Ghraib and an image of a plane that suggest the 9/11 attacks. Family members yesterday said Pataki didn't go far enough — and urged him to boot the Freedom Center and other cultural institutions out of Ground Zero. They blasted the governor for thinking he can obtain assurances about what type of exhibits will be featured and for even considering institutions that want to foster a "political debate."

EXACTLY!

Family members say Ground Zero should be about only one thing: honoring and remembering those who were killed on Sept. 11.
    "Pataki is out of his mind. He has his head in the sand," scoffed Burlingame, whose late brother Charles was the pilot of the American Airlines jet that crashed into the Pentagon. "This is utter baloney," she said. "He's doing damage control. There is no such thing as an absolute guarantee." Jack Lynch, whose firefighter son Michael of Engine 40 died on Sept. 11, said he doesn't necessarily oppose the Freedom Center, just the location. "It doesn't belong," Lynch said. "It has no place at Ground Zero, which doesn't need anything. It stands on its own as one of the most significant places in American history." He added, "This memorial has been hijacked by wealthy elitists with political agendas and the governor is letting them." Isn't anyone listening? Pataki finally seems to be getting it, but he needs to take that final step, put a stop to this travesty and find somewhere else for the Freedom Center to be built But supporters of the Freedom Center say the separate memorial, "Reflecting Absence," planned for the site will honor the victims of the terrorist attacks. You've GOT to be kidding me! A SEPARATE memorial???!!! No freakin' way!! There should be one purpose to the memorial, telling present and future generations of the entire world about the attacks on America September 11th, 2001! They insist that it's important for the cultural institutions to highlight struggles for freedom throughout history. Natan Sharansky, a former Soviet dissident and Israeli Cabinet member who has advised Ground Zero officials, said, "In this century's long struggle against tyranny and terror, the most important weapon which developed is the expansion of democracy and freedom. "That is exactly why a museum [the Freedom Center] telling the story by individuals and their country's struggle for freedom is so appropriate," Sharansky added. Wonderful sentiment, but please it doesn't belong at Ground Zero ... again ... build it somewhere else. I'd go to such a museum, but when I visit the WTC memorial it won't be to learn about this other stuff.
    Tom Bernstein, chairman of the Freedom Center — and a leader in an organization that has brought a lawsuit on behalf of prisoners in Iraq and Afghanistan — said that his organization agreed with Pataki and the families that the memorial must be the centerpiece of the site.
    He said the Freedom Center shared "the commitment of the governor and 9/11 families to preserving the sanctity of the memorial site." "Our programming must, and will, respect those lost on Sept. 11th and honor the country we all love," Bernstein said. "We remain deeply committed to establishing the International Freedom Center as an integral part of the living memorial." But Bernstein did not back off from the notion that the museum should look at more than just the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. But for Rachel O'Brien, whose husband, Michael, worked for Cantor Fitzgerald and died on the 104th floor of the north tower, Ground Zero is a place for personal, not political, reflection. "I have no remains of my husband, and to me that's sacred ground," O'Brien said. "That's the last place he was . . . The whole area should be about that day."
    These people JUST DON'T GET IT!!! My heart goes out to all the family members that are fighting to make sure their loved one's last resting place is kept sacred for all time.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

E40FDNYL35............I have to say I agree
    with just about everything you write on this forum.....for one thing keep up the good work.
    carpntir@aol.com

"God Bless the fallen members of the FDNY, thier families and Loved ones"
    Please never forget 9/11

Default No more than the people who died that day

Take that other crap and put it else where.Get those political correct freaks out of the memorial prodject....keep it simple stupid.....

Families of 9/11 victims are taking their concerns about the Ground Zero memorial to the nation's capital. They will be in Washington, D.C., tomorrow in an effort to call national attention to their cause, a spokeswoman for the families said. Many have been outraged over the World Trade Center site's proposed International Freedom Center, which they believe politicizes the memorial because it plans to host programs unrelated to the 9/11 attacks.
    The families will take a walking tour of various memorials in Washington, such as the World War II and Vietnam War memorials, to highlight the differences between those monuments and the Ground Zero plans. They will also call on President Bush and Congress to take action. Organizers said tomorrow's visit is the first stop on a national grass-roots outreach campaign to alert the American people to the Freedom Center's plans to showcase civilization's advances toward freedom through displays on the civil-rights movement, and the defeats of communism and Nazism.
    The center would be located near Ground Zero, and detractors fear it might minimize the sacred site while offering revisionist, "blame-America" views on why the towers were attacked. Organizers said they also hope to publicize their Web site, www.takebackthememorial.com.
    Richard Tofel, the Freedom Center's president, defended its focus in a recent Wall Street Journal article. He said the 9/11 memorial is "necessary but not sufficient," to the site, and that the Freedom Center will bring "a universal 'narrative of hope' to a place where hope is imperative."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Default N.Y. to Unveil Redesigned Freedom Tower

NEW YORK - After concerns were raised about security at the soaring skyscraper proposed as the centerpiece of the former World Trade Center site, architects went back to the drawing board.

On Wednesday, officials were to unveil a more bomb-resistant design for the 1,776-foot Freedom Tower, which is to offer 2.6 million square feet of office space and is expected to become the world's tallest building.

In an effort to make it more resistant to truck bombs, the building has been moved farther from West Street, a major North-South throughway along the West side of Manhattan. The distance from the street was increased from 25 to an average of 90 feet.

The updated plans also call for reinforcing the middle of the tower and having it capped with a mast incorporating an antenna, meant to suggest the torch of the Statue of Liberty.

The redesign is meant to signal a newly aggressive effort to rebuild the 16 acres devastated by the Sept. 11, 2001, attack on the World Trade Center.

"The redesign of the Freedom Tower shows how our city is able to respond to the opportunities and challenges of our time," said Mayor Michael Bloomberg in a statement.

Gov. George Pataki laid the tower's cornerstone on July 4, 2004, but the last year has seen more fighting than progress by the agencies and individuals responsible for rebuilding. The security concerns likely delayed the tower's original 2009 ribbon-cutting by at least a year.

Article
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

July 3, 2005 -- Congress may step in if officials in charge of the World Trade Center's cultural center host exhibits not related to the 9/11 attacks. According to published reports, three congressmen from New York have sent a letter to the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation saying the memorial project may have lost focus.
    They're concerned about plans for the International Freedom Center to showcase exhibits that have nothing to do with the attacks. Creators billed the museum as a dedication to humanity's struggle for freedom, focusing not only on September 11th, but also on injustices such as the Soviet gulags and slavery in America.
    Last week, Governor George Pataki reassured victims' family members the center would not be offensive. The families have been protesting about the center for the past month. At a "Take Back the Memorial" rally at the Trade Center site on June 20th, a coalition of 14 groups representing the families of September 11th victims said the memorial should focus solely on the victims of the terror attacks.
    A coalition later headed to Washington to enlist the support of Congress in blocking exhibits unrelated to 9/11 at the Cultural Center. The Freedom Center and other cultural institutions point out the site designates a separate memorial for the victims.
    Congress controls nearly $300 million set aside for the memorial.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

February 23, 2006 -- Heart-wrenching tributes to the victims of 9/11 will be collected in a new "digital repository" and accessed via a Web site launched by the World Trade Center Memorial Foundation yesterday. The Personal Tributes project aims to chronicle the touching — and often colorful — salutes to the victims of the World Trade Center attacks. The first entries include a car designed with an etching of the Twin Towers in the rear window, and the FDNY Dream Bike, a motorcycle restored in honor of firefighter Gerard Baptiste. "After Sept. 11, 2001, the instinct of so many people was to pay tribute to those who died," said foundation director Gretchen Dykstra. "Our Web site will give voice to the thousands of people who created personal tributes, highlighting the decorated automobiles, motorcycles, flags, handmade quilts, murals and tattoos."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Default Wtc Rally

On Monday February 27, 2006 at 12 noon at Church and Liberty Street there will be a rally to support our dead friends and family.

Fire, EMS, and Police Rally To Assure That All First Responders That Made The Ultimate Sacrifice Are Appropriated Honored At the Proposed New World Trade Center Memorial. Please make it a point to attend to make sure our firefighters, officer officers, and Emergency Medical Personal are appropriately honored. Let’s Make Sure Larry Silverstein and the L.M.D.C. Properly Honor Our Love Ones.
    ‘No Random Listing of the Names’
    ‘ Fire, EMS and Police Have Their Agency Listed Next to Their Name’
    ‘Above Ground Memorial’

Sponsored by the UFA, UFOA, EMS, PBA, SBA, NYS FOP and Court Officers Unions
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I can only be there in spirit ...

I really don't understand what the problem is. These are not unreasonable requests *sigh*
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

February 28, 2006 -- Two weeks before work finally starts on the Ground Zero memorial, firefighters, cops and 9/11 family members rallied at the site yesterday to slam the design and question its safety. The gathering in bitter cold highlighted the lingering discord between those set to build the $500 million memorial, including the Lower Manhattan Development Corp., and many linked to those it will honor. Uniformed Firefighters Association President Steve Cassidy told the crowd of about 250, "Firefighters and police officers must be recognized separately." But a plan approved by Gov. Pataki and Mayor Bloomberg calls for all victims' names to be listed randomly around two sunken pools that will mark where the twin towers stood. Uniformed responders will be identified only with department insignias next to their names. Cassidy added, "Firefighters want to be recognized by their division, battalion, unit, rank and their badge number, and we will not accept anything less." Rosaleen Tallon - whose brother Sean was among the firefighters killed - said the belowground design is "all wrong in its symbolism." "My brother was going up ... to save life," she added. "I look up into the sky when I think of him ... and I will never go down to remember him." Glenn Corbett, coordinator of John Jay College's fire science program, raised concerns about being able to flee "below-grade caverns in an emergency," despite a pledge from the Port Authority, which owns the site, to honor the city's building code. The LMDC said later it "will continue to work ... to make certain that we build a safe facility that can accommodate the millions of visitors who are expected."
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Default Memorial Cost Doubles

The cost of the World Trade Center Memorial and its associated projects is approaching $1 billion — far higher than anyone has previously disclosed, Mayor Bloomberg revealed yesterday. "This is a memorial that will cost — by the time you get done, depending what you count — close to $1 billion," the mayor declared during a City Hall press conference. "To put that in perspective, the Vietnam memorial cost $9 million or $14 million — including fund-raising — a number like that." Bloomberg described the entire project as "phenomenally ambitious" and "very expensive," words that made some state officials shudder. "It seems to show a lack of confidence," said one state official. A mayoral aide countered: "I think the mayor was just stating facts. I don't think he was raising doubts." Moreover, Bloomberg indicated the city wasn't in a position to pick up any portion of the tab for maintaining the memorial after it opens in late 2009. "There are still questions who is going to pay maintenance on a site like this going forward," Bloomberg said. "The city has lots of other obligations, and if the plan requires the city to come up with money, we're going to have to work through that. It is going to be a real challenge and, hopefully, the people who are running this are up to this." The World Trade Center Memorial Foundation has estimated the cost of the 6-acre memorial at up to $331 million and a memorial museum below ground level at $162 million — a total of $493 million. Mayoral aides said Bloomberg's $1 billion estimate also included the "welcome center," a performing-arts center and "shared costs for underground infrastructure with the Port Authority." The welcome center is expected to come in at $82 million, a bill the state has said it would pay. The arts center already has a $50 million commitment from the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. Its cost has been estimated at $200 million to $300 million. Officials familiar with the project's cost conceded that Bloomberg's numbers were in the ballpark, but they say he's including the price of building the foundation and other below-ground infrastructure that hadn't been included in earlier public estimates. "Our analysis indicates that the cost for the memorial and the memorial museum will be just under $500 million as predicted," said John Gallagher, a spokesman for the LMDC. "This figure does not include the [welcome center], the performing-arts center and infrastructure costs." The foundation has raised $102 million privately and has secured another $200 million from the LMDC. The memorial fund-raising goal is $500 million, not including the LMDC grants. Construction of the memorial and museum is expected to begin sometime in March, with an opening date by Sept. 11, 2009. "Raising money's not easy," Bloomberg concluded. "No one should ever think that it is." But one source in state government said the goals set for the memorial are "very doable. A lot of the big players have not yet stepped up." In a related development, Reps. Carolyn Maloney and Vito Fossella announced that Dr. John Howard, director of the National Institute for Occupational Health & Safety, would serve as the federal coordinator to oversee the response to Ground Zero health concerns.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

In the end, I dont think it really matters how much it costs, just so long as it is appropriate.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information