Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Standard Side-mount pump or Command side mount

I'm curious to know what people's opinions are on standard side mouunt pumps vs a command style side mount pump. We have a top mount which w elike but I prefer the command style side mount because the operator is off the road, can see around him and it keeps the driver moving around instead of on a top mount they usually just "stand there". I'm not trying to cause a arguement here, im just asking for everyone's opinion on side mount vs command side mount

Forum Member

Are you talking about the Sutphen/Percision top mount thing?

Forum Member

No,no. I have a picture of this command style midship pump from 2004, from the firefighters convention in wildwood,new jersey it was on a demo engine, ill go dig through my pile or photos from the convention.

The big advocate of these type of rigs is Precision Fire Apparatus. Sutphen has done these I believe (though Precision will build on a Sutphen custom chassis), General Safety does these and I know Alexis has built them as well. Precision Fire and Sutphen both have pictures on their sites showing these.

The appeal I suppose is a shorter rig with the view of a top mount. You will have the same advantages and disadvantages of a top mount with this setup, with the added disadvantage of not being able to dismount the apparatus from either side while on the panel. Everything is a give and take I suppose...

Search the forums here, as someone else brought up the same discussion a few months ago. We seriously considered this arrangement for our next engine, but instead opted for a conventional top mount as we don't really have the length issues that really make the setup worthwhile. People who complain about the constant safety risk of climbing up and down from the panel will have more ammo here, as I think the means to climb up to the sideways top mount is even more "unsafe" with some interesting steps to get up there. Be aware that if your pumper body is short enough, and you specify a ladder rack on the opposite side of the pump panel, you just may not be able to see over the rack and ladders.

Precision also had a rear mounted pumper at a show fairly recently with a top mounted panel off the rear of the rig. Neat idea, but again - there are pros and cons with this setup as well.

My biggest word of advice - find someone that has one, ask to come and see it, and climb all over it. They're rare enough that it would be a big, expensive experiment having never been on or near one.

More to read:

Past thread

Thread Information