Forum Member

Question Fire flow testing

I know there is a proper way of determining available fire flow from a hydrant system using a pitot tube gauges and opening more than 1 hydrant. BUT

My question is
    If I have a flow meter on my pumper and hook to a hydrant, increase flow until I bring the residual down to 20 PSI. At that point I record the GPM. Would that be a good indication of available fire flow for that hydrant.
    so? Good indication, poor, or useless?

This is in a small town, no big complex water system .

Forum Member

GPM,
    Yes and well..........no! Hit the hydrant several different times in one day because you have to deal with stuff like Peak Hourly use etc etc....I've found that there are hydrants in my district that are low gpm and pressure between the hours of 7-9 am..........everyone's taking showers. If its an industrial area.......water consuming process's are also a consideration.
    You could ultimately use field actuals like the GPM flowing methods found in IFSTA ie....Squaring the lines method, % drop method and the ever famous first digit method but I don't think these are what your after these are more for fire scenes. You could use these methods for preplaning once you have the information your seeking now to determine how many lines you can have out and at what GPM. Ultimately you don't want to go below a residual of 20 but if you got guys in and you need water and if you watch it VERY closely you can drop below the 20 res for a short time but thats kinda a danger zone....ya know.
    To answer your question I believe what you described is adequate but just watch those "Peak Hourly Consumptions".
    Hope this helps!
    Scottsfire
    Last edited by Scottsfire; 06-22-2005 at 09:03 PM.

Thread Information