MembersZone Subscriber

Default HDH hose lay questions

We are new to 5" hose. I have a couple of questions about different hose lay senarios. Pumper #1 carries 700 ft and Pumper #2 carries 500 ft. Both of these senerio would have been handled with a tanker shuttle in the past. Mutual aid pumpers will be coming, but are at least 8 miles away and do not carry 5". All dept/'s are volunteer.

Senario #1.

A water main was ran 3 mile out to the interstate with 1,000+ gpm hydrant spaced at the cross roads one mile apart. Under 500' the second pumper can lay the supply line. What is the best way to lay to a fire where the closest hydrant is more than 500 feet past the fire? We traditionaly only forward lay. Should the first pumper #1 pass the fire, turn around and lay in from a predetermined point 500' from the hydrant, with pumper #2 reverse laying from the predetermined point to the hydrant?

Senario #2
    Small community where only water source is one dry hydrant in a pond. Dry hydrant 500' beyond the intersection, church 500' before the intersection. What is the best way to lay to the church?

Forum Member

OK, first, get more hose on both trucks. I live in a district with hydrants every 500 feet, all pumpers carry 1200-1400 feet of 5 inch. You can never have too much hose.

Situation #1, It would be a good idea to come up with a way to mark 500' from the hydrants. That way you can see how close you are to making the stretch with one truck, or have a target to drop the end on your way to the hydrant. I know roughly where the 800' mark (our tower only carries 800' of 5") is on the three locations where we need to worry about this in my district so I can drop the end for the next truck to pick up and reverse back to the hydrant/water supply. You might want to put a little red post or a hydrant picture on the nearest tele-pole. Oh, you'll want the 700' pumper to drop the line at 500' so there'll be enough left over to get around the truck and make up for the turn into the driveway etc.

You can try to hand lay line from the 1st truck towards that 500' mark, but that is labor intensive and will only work for 200-300feet.

Other option is mutual aid. Would it be better to bring pumper #2 direct to the scene and hit the fire with the combine tanks while waiting for MA tankers to show? I guess it comes down to how much manpower, time, and fire you've got.

Situation #2, again, make the call to bring the 2nd pump to the fire? In the case of a church you'll probably need a lot more water so a lay is in order. Best way to drop it is to minimize the turning around. If possible you'd have the 1st truck lay in and the 2nd reverse lay back to the water source. If the 2nd truck has to forward lay then turn around and return to pump the line you're losing time.

Last ditch measure would be to pull the hose off the stationary truck with the other, but that is EXTREMELY hard on your hose and should only be done when you'd be willing to toss the hose to make a save.
    Last edited by Fire304; 06-24-2005 at 09:29 PM.

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

MembersZone Subscriber

As 304 stated, put more LDH on the engines. We carry around 1000 ft on each engine company ( 4 of them). Our ladder company also carries 1000 ft. We also carry a 50 ft and a 25 ft roll in the drivers compartment.

Secondly, practice laying in. Develop several different situations and practice them. LDH is versatile, but the time to learn is not when you need it. Relay pumping, drafting and supplying another engine, long lays (forward and reverse), and FDC connections (we use 5" storz connections for our FDC's).

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep more hose.
    We now carry 1800ft 5". But we once only carried 1200ft.

The district (Engine 9) had lays of 1800ft, and we knew them. On the long lays with not enough hose we would lay in. The next engine would start laying where the first stopped. We defaulted to caution. Several lines were laid and never charged. We felt it is better to lay unneeded hose than not have water and rely on a third engine. Only laid 3 unneeded lines in 7 years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ONLY SO MUCH CASH!

if the guy asking the question is anything like our fire department, i know where you're coming from! there are only so many dollars per year for things like this! i know that it's very easy for some fire departments to order another 1000 feet of 5", but for us, that would tie up a big majority of our budget for the whole year. there's no denying the fact that we all could use more LDH, but man it's pretty hard to get!

our best way (and most cost effective) to combat this is to preplan with our mutual aid and run drills to make sure our water supply is as efficent as possible. We too have very little LDH.

i'm glad that you asked this question, there are lots of people reading these posts and learn a lot from them.

Thread Information