Forum Member

Default Farewell, Brothers and Sisters in Arms

Well I've decided to make that big step into the retirement world. I will retire in July with my Captains pension and will miss the greatest career on earth (but at least a youngin will keep his job)and I wish you all a safe, enjoyable and fullfilling career.

TO MOTOWN,

Take care brother and keep the youngins safe (your going to be a crew leader soon if not already. You are now going back to the days of doing everything with absolutely nothing (probably a lot less) and I know you'll do it in the highest traditions we hold in our hearts and minds.
    Last edited by FireLt1951; 06-17-2005 at 07:47 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats on the retirement!!!!!

Too bad you have to get old to retire (just kidding) As with everyone else I know that has retired, you will become more busy now than if you were still working!!

Just because you retire doesn't mean you have to be stranger to the forums. By all means, stay around and give guidance to the youngin's. God knows they need it!!

Again, glad to hear you made it, I'm sure you have earned it many times over.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Good luck to ya Captain. I enjoyed your posts and look forward to reading more. I hope you look back on all the great years and good times you had serving the Detroit Fire Department compared to the tough times they are having now. If you worked the job like you posted, I got a good feeling you were a standup FIREMAN and boss. Name your poison and I will knock back that beverage in your honor.

MembersZone Subscriber

FireLt
    Cap, I wish you well in your retirement. From reading Motown's thread, I have a sense that it comes with a heavy heart. I hope you continue to post here. Your insight and knowledge are valuable and immeasurable. I know I have learned from you and for that I thank you. Please take care.

cheffie
    Last edited by superchef; 06-18-2005 at 07:03 PM.

Disillusioned Subscriber

Cap, you've got to at least keep posting here. The pension plan here sucks, but the camraderie makes up for it.

You've been one to always maintain a level head, when many have not. That speaks volumes to your leadership skills. There are a lot of youngins here that need a tweak now and then. Some of us oldins can even use a little guidance once in awhile from each other.

Should you ever find yourself coming to Columbus or Southern Ohio, let me know (MOTOWN knows how to get ahold of me). I would be more than honored to buy your dinner and a beer or ten.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Sr. Information Officer

Thumbs up

You may be retiring from the job....but you never retire from the brotherhood. Good luck in all your future endeavors. Be sure to keep us young 'uns in line from time to time. You have much knowledge and experience...from which we can learn.

Congrats from NJ!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Default El tee..............

I saw this while searching for something else ..........Congrats ....
    i will miss your insight ....
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

District Chief

Good luck to you in your retirement. I did it once (retired) and then came back again...

As my esteemed friend from New Jersey says... you may leave the station, but you never really leave the job.

Also...just because you retire.....it does not mean you can not hang with us in the forums!!!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile And..................................

Everything that can be said, has been said. But, (From a guy who retired in 1985) Best wishes and Good Luck in whatever you try your hand at, next. And, I'll add my voice to those who say continue to post here, Knowledge is not like Annual Leave where you have to "Use it or lose it" in a certain time frame. Last, NOTHING is impossible, I retired after a 24 year career on March 31,1985. On March 18, 2004, I went back to work, Fighting Fires full time, again. Sure, some differences, but I'm happy. Enjoy!
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

You were the witness to one of the worst declines of a major American city ever known to our country. Detroit was once a proud, great city and as I sit and read about Engine Company closings and the wonderful city leadership, I can only imagine the relief you must feel as you hang up your helmet. But, my hunch would be that you wouldnt have traded all those years, all those fires and all your family at the DFD for anything in the world. Enjoy your retirement. I offer you my sincere congratulations on a great career.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Congratulations Brother and enjoy your well earned retirement!

I will echo everyone else and urge you to keep on posting here, we enjoy your insight and experience.

Best of luck Cap.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

congrats!
    Firefighting is not just a job, its a way of life........
    IACOJ

SORRY FELLAS, NO TIKI BAR HERE!

Forum Member

FireLt1951

There comes a day in a firefighters life
    when they hang up the gear and the lid
    and look back over their long career
    and think about what they did

The time between your first fire to last fire
    went by in such a rush
    it may have been a house, a car or even brush
    as you walk out the door for the last time, you may even blush

Remember your brothers and sisters
    sit back enjoy a beer
    now you have a lot more time
    to hang out and post here!

Don't be a stranger... your input will be valuable.

Someone has to keep the kids in line!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

That was great Gonzo!!!
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Been retired now about 18 months. Smartest move I ever made.

My advice is to find a job doing something you always wanted to do. Might be working in a hardware store, might be working as a landscaper, selling real estate, whatever. You don't have to do it full-time. You don't even have to get paid for it. But there are studies that show people who are engaged in life, have a reason to get up in the morning and stay active are healthier, happier and live longer.

Good luck to you.

Forum Member

George,

I always wanted to be a bum.

Actually was offered a position at the local community college which is opening a new fire training facility. May decide to do that or just be a retired bum. I'll take a few months to decide and may even go back and finish my law degree.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by FireLt1951
    George,

I always wanted to be a bum.

Actually was offered a position at the local community college which is opening a new fire training facility. May decide to do that or just be a retired bum. I'll take a few months to decide and may even go back and finish my law degree.
    If you have any self-respect, you will go to the community college.

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats L T.

Like George says do the Community College thing and pass on your experience to the new guys. Some of them probably will not listen, but there are still some who do and will benefit from your experience in Motown.

Although the being a bum, kinda sounds good too.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

FireLt1951, pass the craft on at the college! Without the mentoring of those who came before me I would have never made it 23 years as a firefighter. Congrats and keep active! As a soon to be retired firefighter myself I am planning to help a department I help train make the move to full time career status, so my plan is to keep active in the fire service. This job rocks! Stay Safe and Keep Low, jack.
    Last edited by dchomen; 07-04-2005 at 09:46 AM.

Forum Member

firelt1951

four words...
    go teach at the college!

okay, that's five words, math was always my worst subject!

You have the wisdom and experience of fighting fires that nobody can get from "the books". Far to many of our next generation of firefighters, I fear, may be from the the "throw the book at it, it should go out" mindset.

PS: get Motown to be an adjunct instructor... someone has to teach the lads and lassies the fine art of playing the pipes and enjoying Guinness!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 07-05-2005 at 10:18 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I feel compelled to bring to everyone’s attention that FireLt1951 is hanging up his pistols in order to save the job of someone he may not even know. To end your career to save another is just a mere glimpse at the HONOR this man has. It is upon the head held high and a proud chest of men like FireLt1951 that the DFD is built.

You have given more to this city than they could ever hope to give you in return. Thank you.
    I.A.C.O.J IRISH TATTOOED-HOOLIGAN

DETROIT FIRE FIGHTER AND PROUD!

Forum Member

A tip of the leather to an honorable brother!
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Disillusioned Subscriber

Definitely teach! The chance to learn from someone with your experience will not only give them things that books fail to convey, and is a plus on it's own merit. With someone like you there, maybe, just maybe they'll learn things programs far too often can't provide or miss entirely...honor, loyalty, and character.
    Last edited by Steamer; 07-05-2005 at 11:49 AM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Thread Information