Forum Member

Default Aftermarket Air Horn Addition

For those of you who have trucks that did not come from the factory with air horns, or air brakes for that matter, how have you added air horns, if you have? What size compressor and/or tank did you use? We're looking at a set of used Grovers then we'll setup an air supply. And while we're on the topic of air horns, any of ya'll tried or used the air horn kits like JC Whitney sales?
    Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are using your horns for Emergency use, DO not use the air products in the Whitney catalog.

There are several products out there that offer shoreline air cpmpressors. You would want at the least a 2-3 gallon storage tank, to be able to use the horns for more than a couple of 1 second blasts.

There are also some decent 12v products out there, that would work for your application. There are systems that are typically used to add on air ride systems to vehicles w/o air brakes. ( Like RV's, pick-ups etc. ) I know Firestone offers a compressor that works.

Hope this helps !

Forum Member

That's what i was looking at in Whitney, was the air compressor and tank systems. The horns WILL be Grovers. The Firestone compressor/tank systems are very pricey. There is a Grover Vendor that sells 2 horns with compressor and tank for less than a Firestone compressor and tank. We'd like to have something with a fairly fast refill time, but we could get by without at super fast refill time.

Forum Member

First off does the vehicle you're putting these horns on have a compressor?If yes,I reccomend a separate air storage tank with a check valve so if you "overuse"the horns it WILL NOT take air away from your service brakes.If not compressor equipped,don't "cheapseat"the project.Buy a commercial grade 12 0r 24 volt compressor(depending on YOUR vehicles electrical)that has CFM enough to do the job.If you don't you will hate yourself forever.Grovers are GREAT horns but they have a downside.They like air and plenty of it.Other considerations are:sometimes the project vehicle has provisions(like bracket holes/threads)that will allow you to mount a regular air brake system compressor and associated hardware.Without knowing the application,I can't help you here.Hope this helps. T.C,

Forum Member

No air brakes or compressor on truck. I'd love to have a high quality compressor but $$ is tight. I made a suggestion that we just hook up one of the large bottles from the cascade system through the regulator set at the correct PSI, and hook that to the horns, but that's not very practical.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you sacrifice quality for price, you would want to look at as big a tank as you can fit in your application. That way while you are not using the horns, the compressor will be able to compress and store more air ( more is better).

101, when you said check valve, I think you may have meant pressure protection valve( which limits the air available to the accessories on an air brake system, wehn air supply is low , or failed) In this situation, the compressor would have one job only , air horns.

I do 100% agree with buying the best compressor available to the budget.

These are the products I referred to earlier Kussmaul

There are some other ideas one could use if you cannot afford a decent compressor.

Forum Member

Yep,That's what I meant.It's a check valve of sorts but you got the name right.Anyway,it prevents that sinking feeling you get when you don't have enough pressure to have good brakes. T.C.

Forum Member

Anything that will really work will be expensive. The only way to do this right is to buy a high grade 12v compressor ($$$) and tank ($$$). Anything less will just break down a lot. Do yourself a favor in this case and get better speakers for the siren amp or something to make the siren more effective and save your pennies for the air horn later.

Birken

Forum Member

Already has 200 watt Federal, just time to add Grovers to this truck. It's getting ready to be sent off to get the tank re worked so we might talk with them at that time about retrofitting it with Grovers the right way.

Firemanwesley05
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation Siren air horns

Hey Buddy, most new sriens have an air horn function, and all whelen sirens are available with a phaser tone(which btw, is GREAT at clearing intersections) these tones are most effective if you use 2 200 or 100 watt speakers, be careful not to overload the siren amp, it's not pretty in the middle of a run. Also look in the Darley catalog(www.edarley.com) they have a stutter tone air horn there, ive seen it used on my city's ambulances, people practically drive on the sidewalk to get out of the way. use them in pairs though. or get air brakes.

Advice: let 'em hear ya miles before they see ya!

Good luck.

Forum Member

No electronic "air horn" compares to a good set of Grovers.Matter of fact,when it comes to alerting traffic,NOTHING electronic will beat a Q and a set of Grovers.Put the watts up to 300,you'll still hear the Q/Grover combination over it.The ONLY advantage to an electronic is that it's "hands/foot free". T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hee Hee, electronic "air horn" buzzers are cute ! We have one on our brush truck, and the stork 12v horn is louder. It is even a high quality siren too (PA300).

The Stutter tone air horns you refer to are the Grover horns. 101 you could not be more correct, NOTHING beats the sound(s) of a Q mixed with the stutter tones of the Grover. HOwever you WILL pay the difference.

If it were me, I would save up and get the good stuff, and make do with what I have for now.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Rescue101
    No electronic "air horn" compares to a good set of Grovers.Matter of fact,when it comes to alerting traffic,NOTHING electronic will beat a Q and a set of Grovers.Put the watts up to 300,you'll still hear the Q/Grover combination over it.The ONLY advantage to an electronic is that it's "hands/foot free". T.C.
    AMEN! That's why this truck is long overdue a pair of grovers. I think we're going to go ahead and get the horns, and keep shopping for a high quality compressor and tank.

Forum Member

Don't know how much room under the hood you have, but Have you thought about a mechanical compressor? Give Brad Kilby at www.onboardair.com a call.

Andy

Forum Member

Have a look at Buell Air Horn Systems. Made just for your application. We use these on non air chassis

BUELL #1062 12" AIR HORN
    BUELL #1063 15" AIR HORN
    BUELL #5440 12 VOLT AIR COMPRESSOR
    BUELL #2242 6" X 25" AIR TANK
    BUELL #12076 12 VOLT SOLENOID VALVE

Thread Information