MembersZone Subscriber

Default NOVFA, booze and breasts....

On June 17th and 18th the Northwest Ohio Volunteer Fireman’s Association held its annual “convention” in my town. I have never been embarrassed to be a firefighter in my life until this. On Friday night for 4-11p they held “open lights and sirens” on state routes through town. At least 30 pieces of fire apparatus with firefighters, civilian adults, and children hanging off the tailboards, on the sides standing on discharge nozzles, and many with open beer containers drove down these roads (at posted speed limits) while blasting the horns and flashing their lights. The local fast food jointhad to put a sign on the door warning convention goers that open containers were not allowed inside. I witnessed one urinating outside the dumpster. One of the minors behind the counter told me she was shown digital photographs of naked women parading around the rec-park where the Headquarters for this event was located. Not believing this, I headed into the park.
    There were more beads than you would ever find in New Orleans. Firefighters on their department vehicles were driving around yelling, “Show us your t***s!”, and “We love p***y!” There were minors in the park. Several local minor females were harassed and given beads (I hope not “earned”).
    I’ve been told by many of the attendees that this is common place for this organizations convention. I find it hard to believe that in this day and age, such stuff is a common occurrence at any firefighter’s convention. The local department spun this off as a family event. Is this how any family should be seen? They said they are part of a brotherhood and are heroes. They said it was no big deal because they were just blowing off steam.
    Last time I checked, being a hero meant you did something special and good to make a difference in someone’s life. You didn’t just get handed that title by taking firefighter course and putting cute lights on your pickup. If I also see someone from my family making a drunken fool of them self, I get them home so they can sleep it off and apologize to the witnesses for the embarrassment. I don’t make an excuse for them by saying “Just blowing off steam.”

What is your take on this?

NOTE: I edited this post. Two lines were deleted due to inaccurate accounts or "hearsay". All of this entered currently were witnessed, personally by myself. I'm sorry for any micommunication. Please note I have not named anyone directly, and have no intention of doing so, as punishment is not the intent, but forcing a change in attitude/culture is.
    Last edited by jcasey; 06-24-2005 at 02:17 PM.

Forum Member

jcasey

You have every right to be upset at the leaders of this event. What kind of training if any were they promoting. What was the purpose of the convention.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

Angry

We are truly our worst enemies.
    Never trust a smiling dog.
    The uniform you're given is free, but it comes with a history. Do the right thing when you're in it.
    PTB, EGH, FTM.

Forum Member

I agree behavior like this sure didn't make the members and the (assuming volunteer, as most conventions are for vollie organization) fire service look very professional look very good. Obviously the event organizers need to work on the events structure and purpose (i.e... clean it up) and communicate that agenda more clearly to the members of the fire service.if the actions were as discribed, a major change needs to occur.

One line did bother me though, and I guess I feel like I need to comment on it. "Last time I checked being a hero meant you did something special and good to make a difference in someone's life". With all due respect Casey, most firefighters do not view themseleves as hero's or role models, and quite frankly, to thrust that responsibility on someone in thier off-hours is really not part of the job discription, nor is it fair. Yes, we do have an obligation to act in a professional manner both when on duty (that includes vollies "hanging" at the station), when wearing a department t-shirt or hat in thier community (this includes driving responsibly when in thier vehicle if identified by a FD plate and/or light bar) or when representing thier departments at events such as this, but to reasonably expect them to act like Boy Scouts because they are "heroes" is not reasonable. most members of the fire service are not Captain Goodtooshoes, and they all have thier faults, and most reasonable members of the public do not expect us to be perfect members, just to be reasonable citizens who obey the law. I hope that there are departments out there that do not advertise us as heroes, either in recruiting or PR efforts, as they does a true diservice to the personnel, volunteer or career, and sets up unreasonable standards off off-duty behavior.

I think most members of these forums can say that they have "blew off the perburbial steam" when out of town at conventions and classes, though hopefully not in such as open, public and obviously crase way.
    I think most of us have embided at the local watering holes while on these trips, and maybe even got a lil bit crazy, and certainly that is not anything I would hold against anyone, unless they crossed that imaginary "line in the sand".

Though I wasn't there I think it would be fair to say that a majority of the fire department members did not act like ding-dongs, but even if 10% act like fools, it appears like the majority did, which unfortunatly, is enough to create a bad impression of the whole group.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-20-2005 at 05:55 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Hey, Bob, that reminds me....don't we have a convention coming up?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Talking

we sure do dm .. and I have a whole milk crate full of mardi gras beeds ... lol

MembersZone Subscriber

The local McDonalds had to post a sign on the door warning firefighters that open containers were not allowed inside. I witnessed one urinating outside the dumpster.
    With all due respect, if he was INSIDE the dumpster he would have gotten Secret Sauce all over his bunker pants.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is exactly why I did not go to the NOVFA meeting. A shame people can't have fun without getting totally smashed. Waht a way to represent the Fire Service.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

I AM APPAULED AT ALL OF THIS.....except the breasts!
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

If I was a chief and saw one of my ff's in any of those photos I would fire them on the spot.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Sr. Information Officer

Question

One question

Where was local law enforcement?
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

I see nothing has changed in 50yrs.

MembersZone Subscriber

To LaFire Ed... I meant that I heard many of them say "we are heros..." and like you I do not think that way. If you have to proclaim aloud your a hero, you more likely have a ego problem. And as for boozing it up, not a problem if they closed the park, or did it on a booze cruise. It's not the general idea of partying I've an issue with. It's the 100-200 folk that ran amock,in public, outside the event area, and allowing thr general public into the booze area without there officers/senior members stopping it. The local department has the rules, all of which were openly violated multiple times, on their website www.nlvfd.com and they had for a short time posted a slam on the police for issuing citations for the drinking on the fire engines.

Forum Member

Thumbs down to bad I missed where they were complaining about the police

First........and foremost I need to throw a disclaimer out here ....that the following view is mine and mine alone and have nothing to do with my department affiliation.

I have been attending NOVFA Conventions for over 20 years. I have never been to a small town and seen the out landish, rude, disrespectful, bunch of law enforcement officers than those of the NLPD.

The behaviors that Mr Casey (if that is his hame there were no Casey's listed in the NLVFD NOVFA Yearbook) do go on. Unfortunante, yes, why arent the rules followed ? Why is there NO mention of this from your department at the meeting on Saturday ? For the way the local PD was writing tickets,maybe they ran out of ink right then or were enjoying the show.

In my previous years as far as the open containers (beer) have never been allowed in a cab and most departments are self-policing about who is on their truck and what they are drinking. In years past as long as your beer was in a "coozie" and no one falling off your truck, riding inappropriatley, then there was no problem.

Over the weekend I was hearing many stories of the local cops, for giving out speeding tickets for 2 miles over the speed limits, apparatus getting cited for not using a turn signal, citations for disorderly conduct that was FAR reaching at best. Also when I was out in the community I did hear on business owner complaining about how the law-enforcement basically shut down the town. I am surprised about all the lewdness that occured on friday as most of use were "sequestered" at the campgorund for fear of the "Gestapo".

At one point I heard that "uptown" there was almost a 10 minute delay before any trucks were seen around 830-900 pm.......also understand that the parade was mighty short, due the way the discurteous police were writing more "pre-typed" tickets than in anyone place I have ever been to.

To sum it all up, campground nice, firefighters nice, PD killed the event for the FD, vendors, and the entire towns merchants.I will make sure to not vote to have you host this event again, and if it is held here regardless, no one from our group will be ever making the trek back to that Huron County he^&.
    Last edited by Weruj1; 06-21-2005 at 09:57 PM.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I once attended a NOVFA convention, and I say ONCE. It was the ultimate volly whacker event. The parade was a lights and sirens convention it self. I was very suprised to see all the beer drinking going on as the vollys were riding their rigs in the parade, I was very shocked at the rood behavior by the FF's in the parade as females were showing themselves on the trucks when I had my young son with me, you know...the beed thing. As usual, there were a few wanna be firefighter knuckleheads making the rest look bad. As I was watching the parade, I remember some of the local town folks making comments on the FF's behavior, I'm sure they had a change of outlook of FF's. There was plenty of good things too...dont get me wrong, but for the most part, the true sprit of the fire service was given a black eye by a few Goofs.

Default NOVFA

As a past officer and now the current vice president I would like to say that the NOVFA and it's officers do not agree with the behavior of certin people during our conventions.

I have been attending the conventions since 1977 and it the last few years this behavior has become a focal point of the conventions.

Don't let the actions of certin individuals give you the full picture of the annual conventions.

It is very hard to control the actions at the campgrounds. I was there on Friday night and did see some of the acts.

While some were from firefighters alot of the action is from out of town people that attend the event.

Letters are sent out every year with the convention packets stating the rules of the convention, but some times they are broken.

The officers have tried to keep this type of stuff from happening but it is a big job.

Any ideas would greatly help us.

Timothy Schroeder
    2nd. Vice president
    NOVFA

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you sir for admitting that you saw some of the same things I did. FIRST--The beads and other outright roudy behavior was almost all in the campground, not in the convention area.I have been told that I was lying about this and would face slander/liable charges for speaking of the 20+ acts I witnessed over almost the 1 1/2 hour unless I could produce pictures!! That could lead to a linching of those photographed (and they exist)if not charges!! Wrong thing to try to dig up.I'm not out for anyones head, but for a change in culture. I wish to make the organization aware and change their "minimum rules" to be more realistic. SECOND- & Most of all, you cannot violate NFPA 1500 and ride on the tailboard with little children down state routes. I wish the NOVFA would adopt that section of the standard as minimum required for all future events. Isn't that what this whole national standdown is for? For 5000 attendees it was a good event. It was the 100 or so that need a good lesson in reality.

Forum Member

I attended the convention with friends 5 or 6 years ago (I believe it was in Lima that year?) I was quite surprised at some of what was allowed, such as drinking on the fire truck, but then again, I'm from a different culture. Something like that would never be allowed around here. All in all though I have to say I had a wonderful time. Loved the waterball games, enjoyed the parade even though by the end of it my head was pounding and had a great time meeting people from all over NW Ohio. Can't speak for some of the antics described as we kept pretty much to our own group but I can assure you that these Canadian breast didn't see the sun.....or the stars for that matter
    IACOJ

Forum Member

See, there you go. Thread killer again!!!!!
    IACOJ

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Nah, just the thought of your Canadian breasts made them temporarily speechless hehehe
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

I have to agree that most firefighters don't consider themselves heroes. I don't see myself as a hero more than anyone else who wakes up every day and works to make the world a better place. There are millions of these people around the world in different careers and I just try to be one of them. Having to shout at the top of your lungs that you're a hero seems a bit arrogant at best.

However, we ARE role models. Like it or not, the community looks up to us. Children respect and admire us. Along with that respect comes a great deal of responsibility. We have a responsibility to be seen doing the right thing. This extends beyond the times that we're actively involved in a call, riding the apparatus, or wearing our FD T-shirts. No matter where we are, what we're doing, or what we're wearing, the citizens of our communities know who we are and we should always strive to present ourselves as professionals.

I like a cold beer as much as the next guy, but if I was going to get drunk and rowdy, I wouldn't do it in my hometown where I'm known as a firefighter. I wouldn't do it anywhere while wearing my FD T-shirt or anything that identifies me as a firefighter, because I wouldn't want to tarnish the image.

I'm not saying that we can't have some fun. Let's just not destroy our professional credibility for the sake of partying. You want to party, go ahead - go crazy. Just don't represent yourself as a firefighter while you're doing it.

I'm sorry if some people have trouble accepting that along with the honor of calling yourself one of "The Bravest" comes some responsibility on your part.

Forum Member

Sounds like a bunch of teenage whackers to me. If you all can't behave like adults, then there is no place in the fire service for you. If you guys want to drink beer and talk about boobies and puke on each other then go to college, for crying out loud. Leave the real world for those can handle it.

Unhappy

One question

Where was local law enforcement?

--------------------------------------------------

The local police were told by the hosts (New London Fire Department) that it was a "private party". HMMMMM.... funny how it was open to the public.... In an attempt to appease the party goers the Police Chief agreed that they (the police) would stay out of the park. Things changed when there were reports of nudity in front of minors and open containers in the rear of fire trucks and local businesses.

Default Re: to bad I missed where they were complaining about the police

In response to Weruj1:

I would like to thank you for your vote. It's a relief to know that New London will never have the fireman's convention again. Go terrorize some other town for the next 60 years. You are not firemen. You are a disgrace. Pinnacles in the community should not act this way in the public's eye.

The convention was promoted as a family function. Have you no morals? Have you no shame? Oh, and just for the record, it could have been worse. The police were very leniant. Every citation was justified.

Just wait till the pictures and video tapes surface. All those who deceived will be discovered. It never fails.

Forum Member

Well said, Weruj........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Thread Information