View Poll Results: How many calls has your dept been running lately?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seeing an increase

28 54.90%
  • Seeing a decrease

9 17.65%
  • Seeing the average number

14 27.45%

Default How many calls has your dept been running lately?

My department has seen a HUGE decrease in calls since the last part of 2004. I was wondering if our department was alone or not? I think people in my area are becoming smarter!

Forum Member

Not here. Each station has been running 5-7 a day. Thats about normal, although this is usually the "slow" season which would mean 3-4 a day. We are actually were running more.

Must just be you.
    Last edited by Dave1983; 06-20-2005 at 08:11 PM.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

We're seeing an increase too. We don't run that many calls per year but we're already at a 17% increase from last year. Lately there have been lots of stupid people thinking that they can conduct a controlled structure burn themselves and then they end up burning down two or three more with it.

Forum Member

Default Up

Were Up about 12% on the EMS side and 5% on the fire side, thats a 3 year trend.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

MembersZone Subscriber

We are down in call volume. But that is mostly due to the low risk of burning because of all the rain we've had. Usually the farmers have us running much more than this with garbage, field and bale fires. We did have a 300 bale fire due to a lightening strike last Friday.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

We've had an increase in "outside fires" which includes illegal burns, an increase in breathing problems (go figure the relation between those two in the same neighborhood) and an increase in MVAs. The majority of our outside fires are either A: Wildlife rekindles or Soldier fires, with a few illegal burns. The GP here seems to be catching on about not doing as many illegal burns, thank goodness.

Forum Member

I looked today out of curiosity and we had 269 this seems like a normal number for the summer time.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Our calls are up. We average running around 300 calls per year, give or take. We had one particular day in May, we ran 15 calls within 24 hours.

We have noted, over the previous 5-10 years or so, we're slowly becoming a primarily "rescue" department. In 1994, I can remember 54 actual structure fires. In 2004, that number went down to 22 or so. I'd like to claim it's "fire prevention" doing the work, but I think it has more to do with older homes being removed (either from previous fires or demolition). "Rural Reconstruction" is the term we like to use.

/john
    --
    John Holstein, Asst. Chief
    Danville Volunteer Fire Department
    www.danvillevfd.com

Forum Member

We have beem seeing a 5-8% yearly increase in both fire and EMS calls simply due to an increase in population as folks flee the city for the burbs and country. We have seen an increase in brush fires this spring and early summer due to dry conditions as well.

Forum Member

Call volume way up (mostly EMS),population grew > 10% last year,50% last ten years. Still have almost exact amount of firefighters-stations-apparatus from 5 years ago. Mentality of Administration? Way down in the last year.. I beleive at an all time low!

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

Always Up, went from our engine alone 3359 2003 year to 4326 2004 year.

IAFF Local 1492

Forum Member

Seem to be up...not exactly sure on the numbers, haven't tallied them for this month yet. We have seen a definite increase in nasty trauma calls so far this year, since warm weather hit (e.g. ATV/motorcycle accidents). I think back a couple weeks ago we set a department record for the most people taken out by HealthNet/LifeFlight in one week. I think we may have also had a record or near-record number of brush fire calls this spring.
    Last edited by Co11FireGal; 06-22-2005 at 06:25 AM.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

MembersZone Subscriber

Dont know if the call volume is up, but working fires are. Last year we had 0 in district, few responded to outside. this year we've had 9 working fires.
    Doug Velting Jr
    President Cassville Volunteer Fire Co
    dougvelting@fireexec.com
    www.cassvillefire.org
    Fire Exec .com

Forum Member

there have been lots of stupid people thinking that they can conduct a controlled structure burn themselves and then they end up burning down two or three more with it.
    Im not sure whether it would give me comfort if you told me that you are talking about another fire station. Either way, its not good
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

MembersZone Subscriber

Were doing our normal 90 - 130 calls per month . Brush fire season shouldnt be a big one this year but you never know and hurricanes and such might have us out and about as well.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

MembersZone Subscriber

Little over 40100 to date this year. I think that's about 225 per day.

Up a little, not much. This is our busy season.

Fires vs. Medical about normal

District Chief

5-6 a day...
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Our EMS runs go up 5-10% every year, to around 3,000 last year. But, we have lost 10% of our staff and 10% of our budget due to the bad economy.

More calls, less people.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Cool Here, Too...............

Last year's total was 4,030 and yesterday's year-to-date total of 1,998 sounds like we're running real flat. Our big downturn was 3 years ago, when we went from one or two engines and a ladder truck on an "AFA" to a single engine. AFAs in neighboring districts were half of our Ladder Truck's call load. A trend over the years has been that Rescue calls are becoming an increasing percentage of our total runs. This trend is noticable to the extent that by August 1, we expect to have our Rescue Pumper fully equipped to Heavy Rescue standards, which in turn will allow us to run two Heavy Rescues on a regular basis.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Basically none. The last two calls we were paged for were automatic mutual aid calls, and the home dept. put a stop on our response before we were out the doors. It's about 3 weeks since we turned a wheel, and over a month since we wet a hose. Lack of sleep due to a high call volume isn't a worry here.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

MembersZone Subscriber

We run about 50 a year, this year we have already had 50.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Overall we have seen an increase over the last few years. We broke 300 last year for the first time with 315. This year we seem to be on a pace about equal to that. I forsee it continuing to rise in the next few years....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

we are running low this year, we just broke 250
    Firefighting is not just a job, its a way of life........
    IACOJ

SORRY FELLAS, NO TIKI BAR HERE!

Forum Member

Smile

Last time I checked we are @ 800 so far this year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default was holding off posting.......but.....

didn't realize it til i punched the numbers.....as of the end of June we are 22 over 2004 end of June. the main thing to remember is that we ended an auto-aid out earlier this year and have still gone up.

we are also starting this month strong with 7 in the first 2 days.
    the motto of every midnight shift dispatcher - "I'm up - You're up"

Thread Information