Forum Member

Post Car/Truck Show Fire Prevention Display

Here's an idea we've used to get the message out about fire prevention:

Our department has a 1942 Mack enclosed cab pumper that belongs to the firefighters now. We've repainted it, put in a new cedar wood hose bed, rebuilt the brakes, put on new tires, etc. It still has all of the original brass nozzles.

We have an annual "Safe Boating Festival" at Grenada Lake called "Thunder on Water" during the 2nd weekend in June. The Car/Truck/Motorcycle (C/T/M) show is really growing.

At the last one, we washed the Mack, taught the new guys how to polish the brass, and took it to the C/T/M show. I had a table with fire prevention materials and spoke to over 300 people in about 6 hours. When some young men or teenage boys would walk by, I'd tell them that my truck had hydraulics - 250 gallons a minute. Several of them would come over and check it out, then I could talk fire safety after they looked at the truck.

I let the little kids come over with their parents and ring the bell on the truck. Then I could talk a little fire safety after they checked out the truck.

It worked great. We didn't hurt our protection for the city as the Mack isn't even a reserve truck anymore. And, we won 1st place in the special interest division and got a trophy.

Don't overlook the possibility of presenting fire safety at your community festivals and events.

www.grenadafd.com

Grenada Fire Dept.
    Grenada, MS

MembersZone Subscriber

Interesting idea, ill have to see if i can get the old ward la france fired up some time soon
    Doug Velting Jr
    President Cassville Volunteer Fire Co
    dougvelting@fireexec.com
    www.cassvillefire.org
    Fire Exec .com

Thread Information