Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default What would you like to see?

I was curious what everyone wants to see in the future of apparatus. What would be your ideal truck of today? (feel free to combine manufacturers) What would make the process of truck ordering easier? Just curious to see everyones responses! Try to keep the bashing to a minimum, thanks!

Default Things I would like to see

Apparatus paint that reflects the light that shines on it to make it truly visible. Of course, the color of preference is [size=huge] red! [/size]

All apparatus equipped with airbags for the driver and passenger.

Large indicator lights made standard to see how much water is in the tank. A similar system for fuel levels in the rigs, especially when they are working at extended operations.

Bumper height emergency lights so the morons can see the big red truck in their rear view mirror.

Dashcams like those found in the police cruisers so people who fail to yield, pull out in front of you etc, can receive the tickets they so rightly deserve. It would also make the drivers aware of red lights and stop signs!

Rear vision camera systems standard on all fire apparatus.

For the rigs with the electronic throttle controls, a manual throttle that will work if the system craps out.

Hosebed heights that do not cause nosebleeds.

Better and safer access to hosebeds (small steps don't cut it!)

Accessible preconnects, steps made standard to make reloading hose easier.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 06-21-2005 at 05:32 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Talking future

Oh, gee, how about a three story rig the fire guys can just live in and work from so we can save money by not building fire stations. Sorry guys I just could not resist that. Really I would like to see a rig built by whoever that is KISS, quality and with SERVICE, SERVICE AND SERVICE. Keep the electronics gadgets unless you can gurantee they won't fail at the drop of water, bumps, shakes etc. Build it right or don't bother. All of the current manufactures have the ability to do it right if they just try. Get rid of the bean counters trying to make a penny by cutting corners. I like my job and I will still have things to fix and service but maybe not so mnay and not so often.

Get rid of all the damn electronics and computers.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Default good good!!

Very good suggestions captgonzo!!

See this is a place where people can brainstorm and gather new ideas!

I agree with many of your points capt, good ideas create safer trucks. I would like to see Chevron Striping standard on the rear of all apparatus. Arrowsticks standard. Remote controlled deck guns standard. I'll think of more later on, keep 'em coming!!

I'd like to see each apparatus come with a standard of five or six trained firefighters, personally..

I'm sure Kussmaul could rig you up a water/food auto-eject for em...
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

8V92 Detroits and the similar slobbering Detroits!

In reality, i'd like to see trucks that do not look like these new concept cars. I'd like to see some kind of setup that will tell the officer what seats are occupied and/or which riders do not have seatbelts on. I'd like to see TurtleTiles standard on all trucks. I'd love to see a shutdown timer on the turbo'd trucks because it's almost impossible to drill into peoples heads to let the turbo cool down. That's about it for now.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Default Re: What would you like to see?

Originally posted by jake2415
    I was curious what everyone wants to see in the future of apparatus.
    Affordability....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Thumbs up Boda Turbo-Lube

I'd love to see a shutdown timer on the turbo'd trucks because it's almost impossible to drill into peoples heads to let the turbo cool down.
    HFRH28- We spec BODA Turbo-Lubes on everything, specifically for this problem.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Default Re: good good!!

Originally posted by jake2415
    I would like to see Chevron Striping standard on the rear of all apparatus. Arrowsticks standard. Remote controlled deck guns standard. I'll think of more later on, keep 'em coming!!
    Seen the new Rosenbauer "TechDrive05" rigs ??
    http://www.rosenbaueramerica.com/App...ve05/Index.cfm

For the record:
    1) I agree that our rigs need to be both safer and easier to use.

2) I am not in any way, shape, or form affiliated with Rosenbauer nor is my posting of this link an endorsement of their products.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

some of this just needed to said again and i tossed in couple of new ones i hope

i like the idea of a manual throttle override

crosslays on the front bumber quicker comeing off and putting back on

outlaw electric controlled intake and discharge valves

ladders for getting into the hose bed on engines like they have on ladder trucks

a great big light for low fuel level indicator

no engine start without occupied seats haveing the seatbelts fastened

a hidden cutoff switch for the q siren and air horns for the nosie happy people

a law that makes the people who buy junk to save a dollar, that requires them to work on the things

a place to curl up and hide in when someone on the dept. dose somethink really dumb and people see it

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rosenbauer

First of all, Rosenbauer is JUNK, second of all I was talking about making those things NFPA standard, not just standard for one company. Tech Drive my *****, most of the things there showing off have been around forever but there expensive and thats why you dont seen those things on many trucks.

Thank you FWDbuff for not blasting me again for liking E-One's.

Sometimes I wish someone from NFPA would read some of these forums and maybe be ahead of the curve when it comes to safety. Thanks for all the posts, keep em coming!!

I'll put a junk General Safety (they're under Rosenbauer as well) rig against any E-One, any day of the week...

Nobody builds an aluminum body like General, sorry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Jake2415, I would like to hear your comments on why you say what you do?

Have you seen Rosenbauer trucks lately? Have you taken the time to check out the Tech Drive trucks?

Forum Member

I've seen the Tech Drive trucks and checked them out. I can't imagine anyone that runs a lot of fire runs and drops hose regularly wanting anything to do with them.

Lightbulb I'd like to see.......

More mid-mount towers!!!! Less multi-plexing.
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rosenbauer

Ok General does make a decent rig, bit it is basically a copy of an E-One body, and they use off the shelf extrusions whereas E-One Engineers every extrusion for each individual use. Everything else Rosenbauer makes is junk though, Central States are cheap and they show it, and a "Hot Dipped Galvinized Ladder?" Yea sure Tech Drive '05 sounds cool, but its nothing new. I'm sure you can tell I'm a big E-One fan (easy FWDbuff) but I can also acknowledge a good truck when i see one: Pierce, Kme...(oh i couldnt say that without laughing) I really do like Pierce but not KME. Feel free to bash E-One, I think FWDbuff has done plenty of that, but I like them and thats my opinion. I would like to see some consolidation in the fire truck market and bring it back to maybe 4 major manufacturers. There are too many "cheap" junk trucks out there that people buy because of money issues. Trust me with fire trucks, you get what you pay for. Now lets get off of manufacturer bashing and back to the original question. I like alot of the ideas I've heard and alot of you out there are very smart when it comes to apparatus design, so lets keep it goin!!

Sorry to put my 2 cents in about E-One and Rosenbauer, just like to argue sometimes! Thanks guys!

MembersZone Subscriber

My suggestions....
    1. As Gonzo stated, lower the hosebeds!
    2. Go back to basics...an engine company=hose and water and a ladder company=tools and aerial support. No more multi-tasking of apparatus. Personnel to support this also.
    3. Recessed MDC terminals in the dash. How much more crap can we possibly bolt onto the dog house? Better yet, integrate the MDC, the siren, radio and mapping tools into ONE user friendly touch screen in the dash.
    4. Improved HVAC systems...integrate the controls into the touch screen I mentioned earlier.
    5. More options built into the base purchase price. Slide out trays, tool mounting brackets etc...Eliminate the high priced extras.
    6. Stay with the tradional styling. Aerodynamics do not apply for a firetruck.

I won't take the time to really lay this out, but the General rigs are not E-One clones. Maybe that's the official E-One line to get people not to look at them, but I've seen how they're built, and the only thing the two have in common is yes, extrusions are used in their construction and they both use aluminum. If its a copy, where is E-One's 20 year body warranty?

In my opinion, the more builders the better. Young upstarts with good ideas keep the big boys on their toes. Family owned builders also appeal to many. Regional builders serve a genuine purpose, and if you don't agree - look at how many Alexis rigs are in Illinois and Iowa, 4Guys rigs are in their neck of the woods, etc. There is something to be said about being able to call the owner of the company when issues arise and get stuff taken care of now. It isn't always so easy with the big boys, especially if you have a rotten dealer.

Like everything else in this world, I can find positives with every brand of apparatus. To come on here and dump on one rig or another only because you have a tattoo on your butt of a particular brand, then you're doing a disservice to the folks looking here for information. Yes, everyone has opinion, but I've really kept mine in check on here because regardless of what I personally think about a brand, it isn't fact. There's more than one guy lurking these forums from various builders that also keep their mouths shut through much of this. Fantastic self-control if you ask me.

Case in point - a neighbor has a bare bones tanker built by Simon out of Iowa (I believe). Rough assembly quality at best, but you know - for a poor, under-funded department that needs to get water on the road (kudos to them for not using a non fire service rig like a used milk truck) is serves a genuine purpose, and the water it delivers puts out fire just as well as the water being dumped from someone else's Pieronenbauer dream rig.

Sorry for the diatribe, flame if you wish.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Reply

E-One does offer a 20 year body warranty, it is just not standard. But let me ask you this, why do you need a 20 year body warranty on a aluminum body? Are you seeing any 20 year old trucks built with aluminum extrusions have body problems? Someone please tell me the point of a 20 year body warranty. Thats just like TNT claims their tools have a "lifetime warranty", well what is a lifetime warranty? A lifetime warranty is good for as long as the manufacturer deems the "lifetime" of a tool, which can be as little as a year. So why is a 20 year warranty neccessary?

Also as for the touch screen to integrate all your doghouse items, if you saw the E-One at FDIC they have come out with a touch screen computer module on the doghouse that can control most if not everything electronic on the truck. It's still new and who knows the possibilties but its a step foward. I will try to keep my opinions in check so this doenst turn into a Manufacturers dual. Thanks!

Thread Information