Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber DougVelting's Avatar

Default more combo-dept's in jersey or just jackson?

Ive noticed a trend in jackson, more than likely due to the high number of homes being built in recent years. Just a short number of years ago the whole town was volunteer, with only the Fire Prevention Bureau's having paid staff. Now all 4 companies in town are at least combi and it seems as tho 2 are on their way to being full paid depts. (ease up, not ripping on paid guys just an observation)

I was just curious if this was something happening in Jackson alone or is everyone else starting to see a trend where a day-time staff is the minimum?
    Doug Velting Jr
    President Cassville Volunteer Fire Co
    dougvelting@fireexec.com
    www.cassvillefire.org
    Fire Exec .com

Forum Member

Hmm, nothing like that over here in Burlington except some companies like Evesham having day crews,Medford,Willingboro,Burl ington City all day crews,some career but not in my section of the cotuny all volly.

Middlesex County here;

Full Paid;
    New Brunswick

24 Hour Combo;
    Carteret
    Woodbridge (town of, the Twp. is volunteer)
    Perth Amboy (basically paid w/ volly corp.)
    Edison (Same as Perth Amboy)
    Monroe (each station has a crew and filled out with volunteers)

Daytime Combo;
    Old Bridge (2 of 4 districts have at least 2 guys on in the AM)

There are some other situations out there I know I'm missing, like I think Highland park has a paid cheif on during the day as a driver.

Volunteer... everyone else
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Lakewood, Ocean County has a paid "staff" of 2 FF's. They are supplemented by volunteers.

There were a couple of departments in southern Monmouth County that were paying a guy to be their daytime driver. Basically was more of a maintenance man that was at the building waiting for others to show.

When the personnell are not showing up during the day (for various resaons) you have to do what you have to do to keep answering the calls. If that means paying a guy or two, then that's what needs to be done....although, not really sure what good 1 guy alone is going to do, but it's a start.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Down in the Southern Section of New Jersey Combination Departments have started popping up and continue to do so. More and More Daytime Responses and less and less Responders promted this. {Hey Volunteers have to work and the engines still need to get out}

Deptford Township, Washington Township, Gloucester Township, Voorhees Township just to mention a few still have strong volunteer bases but do need and utilize mainly Daytime Stafing for Engine / Ladder / Rescue Crews between 7am and 5pm.

Forum Member

Must be a south jersey thing. We have a few combo dept.s up here, but not many. Most are all Volunteer.

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

MembersZone Subscriber DougVelting's Avatar

I realize the trucks have to roll if we working or not, was just curious if the other towns were "evolving" as fast as ours. We're the last one in town with a small paid "staff" most are running crews. Was just a curiousity question.
    Doug Velting Jr
    President Cassville Volunteer Fire Co
    dougvelting@fireexec.com
    www.cassvillefire.org
    Fire Exec .com

My town is still 100% volunteer. I would prefer as DougVelting said, to have a small staff than a crew. I think 2-3 guys on in the daytime supplementing the normal volunteers is a much easier and ameniable situation to the volunteers than a paid crew. That's when you start to feel some of your presteige and ownership over the company get taken away.

Just my 2 cents.
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Forum Member

Originally posted by FFTide
    My town is still 100% volunteer. I would prefer as DougVelting said, to have a small staff than a crew. I think 2-3 guys on in the daytime supplementing the normal volunteers is a much easier and ameniable situation to the volunteers than a paid crew. That's when you start to feel some of your presteige and ownership over the company get taken away.

Just my 2 cents.
    Sure on the surface this makes sense but 2-3 guys on in the daytime supplementing the normal volunteers ? This couldn't be more dangerous in my opinion and here's why.....

1. How do you follow the 2 in 2 out rule with three guys ?
    2. What's a crew of 2 guys going to do when they arrive at a well involved structure with entrappment ?

Why is it an easier and ameniable situation to the volunteers than having a paid crew ? Oh our company is going to sh** because we have career staff or we might loose our presteige if the paid people are here ? Come on cut me a break I hear this everyday when I come to work. Do you honestly think the general public cares if Volunteers or Career Staffing answer their emergency ?

Having a Paid Crew at least in the daytime can only help when so many departments through out NJ are strapped. I work for a combination department in Delaware and they have finally recognized tht they can't do it all with out us and very much apprecieate our presence especially with the ambulance. We opperate 24/7 with the Volunteers and it's a system that works. - No apparatus leaves with out a qualified crew {something like the 2-3 guys that what was previously mentioned} even if we're on board with Volunteers - It's their company, thier equipment and we fall under the direction of thier Fire Chief and his designates.

In response to BD6413: I would never expect a 2 or 3 man engine to roll and start any kind of attack/rescue, but the purpose of paid (combination) staff isn't to leave at the drop of the tones but to wait and supplement the volunteers who may show. 2 paid crew and 2 or 3 volunteers, that's how this structure is supposed to work, or at least that's my understanding.
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

1. How do you follow the 2 in 2 out rule with three guys ?
    I give him all the well wishes in the world, but as I said above Lakewood rolls with 1 paid guy in a mini-pumper to every call. That 1 guy has made lots of stops and "knock downs" waiting for the vols to arrive. There is no concern (unfortunately) for 2in 2out. Used to be that he would arrive, drag his line in, get water on the fire until the vols arrived. Then he'd reel up his hose and leave to be available for another call and let the vols continue that one. Not a great system, nowhere near OSHA/NFPA standards, but it works for them. No EMS though, they have a separate EMS vol department that handles all EMS calls.

Aren't there a lot of smaller paid departments that normally run only 2 or 3 on their trucks?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Borough of Bergenfield, (Bergen County), utilizes paid drivers during the day, 100% vollie at night. Pretty interesting to see a 110' LTI screaming down Washington Avenue with one guy on it. Then when you go to the scene there are, say four rigs there, with four members. Amazing!!

We here in Hunterdon County are all 100% volunteer, but I think having 2 or 4 guys paid during the day would help alot because there are times when no one is around to run those calls.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Out here in Warren County where 100% Volunteer. We are lucky at our Department we have a couple guys that work nights and some people that work in town and can leave.

Forum Member

Default Combi Dept.

Perth Amboy Fire is a Combi department.. They have Paid-Firefighters/Emt/Paramedics on 24/7 and if major incidents arise they call in for the Volunteer Lists

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

Just because they are a paramedic in their other job doesnt mean they have them in the department....
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by DougVelting
    Ive noticed a trend in jackson, more than likely due to the high number of homes being built in recent years. Just a short number of years ago the whole town was volunteer, with only the Fire Prevention Bureau's having paid staff. Now all 4 companies in town are at least combi and it seems as tho 2 are on their way to being full paid depts. (ease up, not ripping on paid guys just an observation)

I was just curious if this was something happening in Jackson alone or is everyone else starting to see a trend where a day-time staff is the minimum?

BYE BYE VOLLIES

I see a couple of points brought about here.
    First, in response to what are you going to do with 2 or 3 guys rolling up on a fire w/ entrapment.
    Same thing as you would with a vollie crew of 2 or 3, sure you can tell me you don't roll without 4 or 5. That's great. Instead you sit in station waiting when you could be getting on scene and finding out what you have. Maybe you just need to throw a ladder to get someone out. Maybe you have a pot on the stove smokin the whole building out and someone hit the panic button. At least get there and find out. I know of a vollie co. very near me that had to drop tones 3 times for a structure fire and still the next town had to come and take the fire because they couldn't get a truck out. I know this isn't everywhere, but I am sure it happens in many places. Lets face it, volunteerism is in decline, everywhere and in every facet not just firefighting.
    Second, 2 in 2 out.
    It doesn't happen all the time. It is great when you can do it. But in the meantime, you might be able to get 10 feet into a doorway and make a knockdown from there. Coommon sense should be the first thought.

Someone stated about losing prestige and ownership. What in the hell is that, we are here to help people and save lives, you are worried about pride and thinking you own the place. Please tell me you did not mean it to come across like that. If you did mean it like I took it, take your blue light and go home. You are here for all the wrong reasons.

Finaly, career1962, take a hike. What works for one place might not work for another. As long as your respective town has a system that works, that is what matters. I am proud to be career, but I don't expect everytown to be paid, it is not fiscaly responsible for most towns. Take your crap stirring elsewhere.

Permanently Removed

Some towns don't have a system that works and it's seems just fine for the chiefs and the townships that are responsible for fire protection to look the other way when a truck does not show up when dispatched- or if they do- it is with a driver and a chief if lucky a probie to- a response time that is 10 to 15 minutes - firefighters that are 80 + years old who drive the fire truck but can not pump it-unfortunately thats the TRUTH and REALITY-imagine if your career department did not respond to a call when dispatched or responded 15 minutes from dispatch -BYE BYE- Its reality in my vollie town that has to have someone die before things change-you must be a moonlighting vollie so you know the crap I talk is true

Yeah, alot of these issues are true. But your view is still blurred. How is a town with 1000 or less people going to support a paid dept? How high would the taxes have to be to support not only equip, but payroll? When you finaly get that amount of $ how many people are going to move out because they can't afford their taxes? Thus your career postions get eliminated. I agree you get what you pay for and yes there are plenty of depts. that run with a much older crowd. But how are these towns to afford paid fire protection 24/7? You try to make it sound like everytown should break the bank to try and support what they can't. I guess your dept. makes good money, has all new frontline pieces with all the state of the art equip., 2 or 3 sets of turnout gear in case a set gets dirty. All of this is supplied regardless of what your citizens can afford. If there are so many problems with your vollie dept. in your town get off your *** and try to help things. Don't sit on the sidelines and complain this would never happen in my paid dept. If your not part of the solution you are part of the problem. And if you do finaly decide to help in whatever means you are capable and you get your paid dept. in your town, let us all know how much better your taxes are, and how you are not going to complain that money is being taken out of your pocket. And for your info I don't vollie anywhere, I am just not so close minded that I can't see the forest thru the trees. So before you start making statements about me of which you have not even the slightest clue, MAN UP and put the facts out there about yourself, everyone is able to click on my profile and find out about me. Lets find out about you, where did you start, where are you going to end up with your limited knowledge about fire service managment and budgeting?

Thread Information