Forum Member

Default anyone still work for a real FIRE department?

In the year 2005 we find ourselves doing a lot that has nothing to do with fighting building fires. Does anyone out there have working fires take up the majority of their runs? Once a shift? week? month?

Forum Member

I'm not speaking for everyone, but I didn't get into the service to just drive BRTs and squirt water. Within certain reason, I help people who don't know who else to call when the crap hits the fan, whatever the crap of the moment might be.

Since you asked, my last fire was a few weeks ago. That's just as well, since it pays to remember that every time the tones drop it means that (a) someone is dying, (b) someone's stuff is getting destroyed, or (c) we will soon be answering option (a) and/or (b) if we don't intervene right quick.

If I may ask, why did you join up?
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    - - - - - -
    I A C O J

Forum Member

Well, as far as I know, I'm more into the rescue part of the job, so while I do enjoy fighting fires, I also enjoy the rest of the stuff we do. The only thing I hate is being called out to a call that sounds good, only be be recalled before we get there because it turned out to be BS.

MembersZone Subscriber

"Real fire dept???". In the last 6 working days I have made 7 working fires(fires that took more than 1 engine). Monday we made 13 calls in 24 hrs. none fire calls. I guess my dept should be renamed fire rescue & public service. I have a log book at the station shows us responding to a drowning in 1938. We have been around since 1825 and career since 1925. Never heard of a time when we didn't roll for what ever the emergancy was. I personally won't have it any other way.

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

As a FIREmedic i have worked my share of private EMS services and don't want to go back there again. I went to a very busy fire service in a metro city to fight fires, at least thats what we used to be. I remember the days of at least one working fire every shift. We were forced through a fire-EMS merger and now it seems I spend more time running butt-aches than what I came here to do. The last two working multi-alarm fires in my first due I have been toting people that needed a swift kick in the butt more than anything else. It's not at all what I came here to do but I don't have a choice. Times have changed and I don't like it but must accept it. We used to rin life threatening calls (ie: cardiac arrests, ped/auto, shootings...) now we go on 20 y/o with a headache for 2 weeks, why???

AFL-CIO IAFF 1492
    Last edited by cook411; 06-22-2005 at 05:43 AM.

Sr. Information Officer

Default Re: anyone still work for a real FIRE department?

Originally posted by Ryan1239
    In the year 2005 we find ourselves doing a lot that has nothing to do with fighting building fires.....
    The same was true in 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995.....1954, 1953, 1952....get my drift?

The job has always entailed much more than "water on the fire." Fire prevention, fire inspections, community service, equipment maintenance, personnel training, paperwork, more training, more maintenance, classroom, practical, more paperwork.

A "real" fire department does all of the above on a regular basis. It's all part of being a "real" firefighter.

Hey RYAN1239....get real.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: anyone still work for a real FIRE department?

Originally posted by NJFFSA16

The same was true in 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995.....1954, 1953, 1952....get my drift?

The job has always entailed much more than "water on the fire." Fire prevention, fire inspections, community service, equipment maintenance, personnel training, paperwork, more training, more maintenance, classroom, practical, more paperwork.

A "real" fire department does all of the above on a regular basis. It's all part of being a "real" firefighter.

Hey RYAN1239....get real.
    As my Brother Crusty, Dave, aka hfd66truck is fond of saying...

[size=huge]BING-FREAKIN'-O![/size]
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

In the year 2005 we find ourselves doing a lot that has nothing to do with fighting building fires. Does anyone out there have working fires take up the majority of their runs? Once a shift? week? month?
    I work for a make-believe fire department. You should see all the trucks: We've got a Seagrave 110 Foot ladder-tower, two Pierce 2000 gpm pumpers, a nice big heavy rescue, a TWO 3000 gal tankers. NO AMBULANCCES. It's great. We go to a working fire every hour. I sit in the cab and go, "WOOO-WOO-WOOOO-WOOOOOOOOO" (mainly because my siren is make believe, too).

Give me a break.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

I agree with Acklan there's more to the fire service today then driving BRTs and squirting water as RLFD said. I bet you wouldn't bitch and moan if the tones went out and that medical call was at your house or the house of someone u knew.

Just my thought

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

We used to be a "real" fire department, too. It was when we ran about a dozen calls a year, probably most of them grass/field fires. Training? Didn't exist. If you could get the hose off the trucka and open the nozzle, you were a firefighter. We're still not busy, but with 150 calls or so a year, it's more interesting.
    I could not justify our existence if we only went to structure fires maybe 5 times a year. As a taxpayer, I'd say it was a waste to have a half million dollars worth of trucks and equipment just to put out a handful of fires that, unfortunately, were a total loss from the beginning.
    I'll rephrase my first sentence. We ARE a real fire department that runs fire, rescue and medical calls.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

The last two working multi-alarm fires in my first due I have been toting people that needed a swift kick in the butt more than anything else. It's not at all what I came here to do but I don't have a choice.
    If these type of calls bother you that much I think you do have a choice, find another line of work. That is what we are here for, to assist the citizens of our community/city, no matter how small YOU may think the problem is.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

I'm a member of a REAL fire department as is just about everybody here is. When the tones go off we respond, we use our training to the best of our abilities and we go home and wait for the next one. Regardless of the nature of the incident and whether or not you like it or not, the fire service is exactly that... a service agency. We are there to help restore order and mitigate what some fellow man feels is a crisis whether perceived or legitimate.

We just continue to paint XYZ Fire Department on our rigs because it would take too much paint and gold leaf to write "XYZ do everything nobody else wants to do Department"

Stay Safe!

Forum Member

First off we have BGTs our trucks are green. My fire department is very real. Everyday we get a call no matter what it may be, we show up and show the community we are there in their time of need. Im happy to say most of our calls are not fires. I know what some of you maybe think. Everyone wants to run on the big fire. I would rather know that my community and residents are safe. We have to earn the support of our community to keep us in business. Times are hard and money is tight in many communities. The more service we can give the better the value. When ever our phone rings someone is in need of help. I find a lot of gratification in helping anyone. Even better when I hear someone talking about us in public and how we helped. That gives me a better high than fighting any fire. Helping people in their time of need is our business.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

I had no doubt this would get people fired up. I could have simply titled the post "How many working fires have you made in the past week?" I thought the chosen title would get a little more of a response. To clarify, I don't make a fire every shift. In fact it may be a month or two between working fires on my shift. I love fighting fire, it is a blast. And I don't like to get up at 3AM for a run to a frequent flier. However, these are the two extremes. 90% of what I do is somewhere in between. I haven't been first due at a working fire in 6 weeks, but I still consider myself a real fireman. I still enjoy helping Grandma by easing her chest pains, or showing citizens the truck when we are at the grocery store, and everything else. Call comes in, trucks go out, everytime. Thanks for the responses guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Ryan, Did you teach Michael Jackson how to Moonwalk. That was some of the best[sarcasm intended] back peddling I've seen in a while.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

And I don't like to get up at 3AM for a run to a frequent flier.
    Think about what you said. Who do you think pays for your service? I work for a department not far from you and am well aware of the "frequent fliers" in the metroplex. I DO NOT care who it is that is requesting our service, we are there to respond to their request. If you are not satisfied with the 3 a.m. calls then maybe it is time to find another job. If you are looking to make several workings fires every day then I believe that you are in the wrong location. All have stated that we are in this for more than the fires. Yea, everyone likes being "on the nob" and first due. The fire service has evolved into a community based resource over the past 200 years and we are here to assist our "CUSTOMERS" anyway possible. I do not care if is a 3 a.m. call for a frequent flier or a water sweep job or a working fire we are there for the citizens.

Think about what we will endure in the future and see if this is something that you want to be part of. If not, then it maybe time to look for another profession.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I work for an EMS service that runs engines and quints.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

REAL tomato ketchup, Ed?
    Oh; nothun' but the best!
    So; I wasn't just imagining that I was on a real fire department?
    Whew; the dark recesses of the mind can be very scary.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Whats wrong with what ryan said? I don't know many guys that are that into ems runs. Who wouldn't rather take in fires and whats wrong with admitting it? Many guys here are dropping their emt status since they started making Firefighters ride a bls ambo every couple of months. 3% pay for being an emt just isn't worth it to most guys. All the guys on my shift are dropping emt. I guess that says about how most guys I know feel here.

Forum Member

3AM frequent fliers. Show me a fireman anywhere who springs out of bed with a smile on his face to run this call. Not going to happen. It doesn't mean they can't do their job as a professional, and with compassion. As with any job, their are aspects that people enjoy and those they dread. You still have a duty to perform, and I have yet to see someone refuse to respond to ANYTHING.

Back to the original thread.

Granted, the title was intented to get a little attention, but I am still curious. Are there fire departments out there which have more fire calls than anything else?

Forum Member

We run 50 - 50 ems to fire runs. Working fire on every shift for the last three. Keep the drive alive!

Forum Member

Originally posted by ChicagoFF
    Whats wrong with what ryan said? I don't know many guys that are that into ems runs. Who wouldn't rather take in fires and whats wrong with admitting it? Many guys here are dropping their emt status since they started making Firefighters ride a bls ambo every couple of months. 3% pay for being an emt just isn't worth it to most guys. All the guys on my shift are dropping emt. I guess that says about how most guys I know feel here.
    If your 3% is figured into overetime rates and pensions, it amounts to a pretty decent chunk of change.

BTW, an EMT in my FD gets 7% of base pay for being an EMT. Based on my pay rate as a Captain, that 7% is worth $79 a week , or $4111 a year and it is figured into my overtime rate and pension!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Serving up some cheese to go with the whine:

Are there fire departments out there which have more fire calls than anything else?

Sure. I know a good number. Of course, they're volunteer departments with a third service EMS squad or Police first responders / private Ambulance.

Among career fire departments, can't thing of any major ones.

Does anyone out there have working fires take up the majority of their runs?

I would shudder to think that there's any departments out there that the majority of their calls are actually workers (my definition: Needing, or probably needing, 2 or more handlines to control...i.e. big enough All Hands on the first alarm are Working.) There's a world of difference between smoke showing or flames showing and an actual working structure fire.

Maybe if you grubbed around for some of the big city companies that run automatically on Working fires (FDNY Squads?) maybe you'd find a company that has a majority of their calls be workers because that's what they get dispatched to. But that's going to be damn few companies nationwide.

========

I'm not sure what the value to posts like this is, at least when they seemed to be written to stir the pot. Maybe that's a different way to ask a question, maybe somebody just likes to see firefighters bitch.

Fire gets your adrenaline going. Medical alarms at the old folk's building don't. If you like adrenaline, you have 2 or 3 days off for everyone you're working...go skydiving.

Don't know what advice to give some young guy far away...just realize while we may sometimes feel like we're a volunteer fire department where all the members just happen to work full-time for City EMS, we're not.

Still have to keep plugging away to put our core purpose out of business -- fire prevention, education, and code enforcement (frankly, if you have a FF bitching he's bored not seeing enough working fires, how good do you think he is on pub ed?). Still have make sure we keep up the fire training for the odd time we see flame.

What I do know is if you think firefighting gets the adrenaline going, there's nothing like the rush from a job done well when all the equipment works, all the guys are clicking, and the Chief is on the ball. So while you're grumbling, go out on the floor and go over the truck again, get with your crew and practice old and new stuff, go and take a drive around the 1st due and do what-would-you-dos
    Trolls? We don't need no stinking Trolls.
    -------
    Don't confuse me with facts, because I actually do like to sound like an idiot.

Forum Member

And I don't like to get up at 3AM for a run to a frequent flier.
    Generally here an engine and the box respond to an EMS call, however, if the crew on the box feels -after the update- that they can handle the call they will cancel the engine and those lucky guys get to go back to bed.

Doesnt help the guys on the box from getting fustrated on the 3am frequent flier, but its better to have 2 grumpy FF than 6!

Stoner

Forum Member

The death of the Fire Depts was when All the A-Hole Chiefs decided to turn us into "Fire Rescue" I remember well the terrible day when we peeled the old stickers and replaced them with the current "fire rescue" engine stickers. I still tell people I met that I work for a FIRE DEPT.

Thread Information