MembersZone Subscriber

Default One you don't hear often...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4637625/detail.html

LANSING, Mich. -- A woman and her 4-year-old daughter were severely burned when a homemade liquid being used to treat the girl's head lice caught fire, officials said.
    The 44-year-old Lansing woman and her daughter were hospitalized in critical condition after the Monday night flash fire at their home, the Lansing State Journal reported in Wednesday editions.
    The girl suffered burns to 60 percent of her body and her mother suffered burns to 16 percent of her body, police Sgt. Linda Doherty-Wright said. Both were airlifted to University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor, where they remained Tuesday.
    Another child in the house escaped injury. Firefighters put out the fire within a minute of arriving.
    Authorities did not release the victims' names or identify the liquid. The cause of the fire was under investigation.
    "It appears at this time it's an accidental fire, but due to the condition of both victims, we're unable to get a statement," Doherty-Wright said.
    Over-the-counter products are the best way to kill head lice, said Amy Kirkconnell, a pharmacist at Lansing Community Pharmacy. "Years and years ago people used things like gasoline, but now you should stay away from home treatments," she said.
    EMT-B
    Garfield Twp. Fire Department
    http://www.garfieldfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

LANSING, Mich. -- A woman and her 4-year-old daughter were severely burned when a homemade liquid being used to treat the girl's head lice caught fire, officials said.
    It a real shame that this poor little girl has to be subjected to this STUPID women! Are you kidding me, a homemade liquid being used to treat the girl's head lice!!! WTF are people thinking!
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

Forum Member

Originally posted by sbfdco1

It a real shame that this poor little girl has to be subjected to this STUPID women! Are you kidding me, a homemade liquid being used to treat the girl's head lice!!! WTF are people thinking!
    Its probably the same treatment grandma used when mom was little and there never was a problem. You have to wonder how many stupid things people are doing without thinking cause it always worked in the past.

Its awfull what happened to the little girl. All because mom has the IQ of rock.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Originally posted by Dave1983

Its probably the same treatment grandma used when mom was little and there never was a problem. You have to wonder how many stupid things people are doing without thinking cause it always worked in the past.

Its awfull what happened to the little girl. All because mom has the IQ of rock.
    Statement 1 sounds like some of the things I here from some of the older guys at my station....

Statement 2 is giving her way too much credit. The rock has enough of an IQ to know it should sit still and not move or speak!

Forum Member

Hold on, I'll get them lice! Let me just douse your head in gasoline and then burn them with my lighter!!

Sr. Information Officer

Angry Grandma used alcohol in her lotion

From an internet based medical site

Treatment with lotions or cream rinse
    You can buy various lotions or a cream rinse which kills lice from pharmacies. The active ingredient is malathion, permethrin, or phenothrin. You can also get these on prescription. Head lice shampoo does not work very well and is not advised. Lotions come in water or alcohol bases. Alcohol based lotions work slightly better than water based lotions. But, do not use alcohol based lotions if you have asthma, eczema, or broken skin.

A final reminder - alcohol based lotions are flammable. Some children have been badly burnt as their hair caught fire whilst being treated. Keep children away from fires, cigarettes, flames, etc, whilst lotion is in their hair.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thread Information