Thread: turnouts

Forum Member

Default turnouts

I was contacted by a FEMA rep about a month ago, saying they only allowed 1200 bucks for turnout gear.. In my narrative I was specific on the type we were getting.. not "name brand" but fabric types and such. Well.. I cant find anyone that will sell us Globe GX 7 for less than 1400 bucks... Can I ask the grant manager if I can use extra money from another project or what?. Anyone got any Globe Dealers that wants to make a sell?..

Forum Member

zoom i think you had contected me earlier in the year concerning our narritive.. email me a jamiebarker349@msn.com and i can get you in touch with someone on globe we got our turnout for $1167.00 a set

Forum Member

sent you an email.thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

zoom40: Check into piggybacking a larger Dept's
    T.O. contract, you can usually find spec's the
    same or very close to what you want.

We did that and dropped the price $150.00 per set.

Hope this helps
    Bill

Forum Member

Globe turnouts will probably only be available from your local Globe rep. Comparing turnout pricing simply by the brand name is like saying "I bought my Ford for 25,000 so you shouldnt pay more than that". Turnouts are a very complicated package of materials comprised of a moisture liner, thermal barrier and outer shell. Each one of these components be changed in a number of ways greatly effecting the price. I could sell you Globe turnouts for $900 or I could sell you Globe turnouts for $2000. Depends on what will work best for your department and what your budget is. Any good Glove dealer should be able to sit down with you and point out the benefits and features of each type of material and figure out what ensamble is appropriate. Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree that you should be able to buy any turnout gear maker's product for $1200. I just bought 13 sets of Cairns, with high end shell (Millenia) and liner, excessive striping (Project Fires and down the legs) and so on for $1,500 a set. The price also factored in a different brand of padded suspender that was probably $60. Basofil, a little less striping, and perhaps even purchasing out of a "stock" program should be able to get you in anyone's gear at the grant maximum price, you just may not see top-shelf for every option.

To be honest, we probably don't need Millenia or PBI for 80% of our folks, but we do have some aggressive folks that train hard and work hard. Really hard to justify buying one guy premium stuff and not the guy in the rack next to him.

Forum Member

thanks,, still shopping. may have to go with a less expensive company..
    Seems like the PBI is what brings the price up.. but i specified PBI..

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I wouldn't go with less than PBI, nomex doesn't hold up as well. There are various blends of PBI though, and as Spokane and NPFD both said, it all depends on how you dress it up.

Just like when the wife asks how one Craftsman table saw costs $150 when the one you brought home cost $500: "It's all about the OPTIONS."

And then the table saw goes back to Sears...

MembersZone Subscriber

Zoom40; We priced out the GX 7 Globe gear its fantastic. BUT, you knew there had to be a but, if your not replacing all your turn outs it's a tough fit to bled this gear in with your old gear. The cut of the coat and the lack of the high waist on the GX 7 makes it very tough to blend in your old gear in case you 'cook' the new gear. Globe is a great company we have'nt had a problems with them in my 14 years of useing them. When we tried them out at the station the guys and girls loved em. They were a little more $$ about 15% more. We did'nt go with that line because of the blending issue. Hope this helps.

Thread Information