Forum Member

Wink Girl gone wild ( and East)

There comes a time in every womans life where the constrains of routine must be shed. Many women at that time will resign themselves to a dulldrum life, or they go to opposite extremes.... I choose to go to the opposite end of this big country ( ) Yep!! In seven weeks I bring a little sass to the east coast. I have decided that the concrete jungle of the NYC area and regional vicinity is the perfect playground to break from the norm--set my spirit free! I think of the tradition of the fire service back east, and I am humbled to be in the presence of those who answer those calls.. I think of the roots that the fire family has entwined itself with, and I wish to be part of something so extaordinary!!! I think of all the bars--and I long to be so wild!!!!
    I have been told it is a whole other world, I have been told the people are rude and cold, I have been told it is bleek and polluted, but the one thing that I know is that by the end of summer it will have me! Any wild places I should be checking out???? Come on, give it up... And any advice on culture shock I might face?
    Well... here's to hangovers and hell--both'll make you miserable, but you sure have fun gettin to there!

MembersZone Subscriber

You should give some of us NY boys a call, we'll show you all the good spots.
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

Sr. Information Officer

Default Re: Girl gone wild ( and East)

Originally posted by sassy1
    Yep!! In seven weeks I bring a little sass to the east coast.
    Wow....I had to read that twice. I thought it said you're bringing a little... Uh, er..butt...to the east coast.

Don't be a stranger when you get here. The FDNY brothers will gladly show you around. Won't you guys?
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Hoboken, NJ is Manhattan Light. It is still affordable. It is crowded as hell. And it is a five minute ride on the PATH away from the Center of the Universe.

Just watch your back. Everybody you meet out here isn't as nice as the FDNY guys.

BTW, those rude and cold people in NYC came out and supported the brothers at Ground Zero for months after 9/11. The people may be hard, but rude and cold? Nope.

Forum Member

Red face

Wow....I had to read that twice. I thought it said you're bringing a little... Uh, er..butt...to the east coast.

Uuummmm...... Hhmmm.... Yeah, I guess that will come to! Along with the rest of me!!!

Actually, I went to NYC a couple of months ago( but I couldn't find a fire station??) and I found every one I met to be entertaining, intriguing, and over all the kind of people I like!!! No one was "rude" to me personally, and the best part was the accents!! They are so great! Plus- everyone here says I talk to fast and that I am the one with the accent, in NY... everyone said I talked so laid back and slow (and that I had the accent). Finally, people who can handle my energy level!! YEAH
    OH!! And as for that invite from the NY boys--- If you're game--I'm game! Speaking of... QUESTION: how exactly does the FDNY run with NYC EMS out of their stations if they are seperate entities??? ( Or that's how I understand the system..) Any info would be appriciated, I am quite inqusitive these days!
    Stay low and stay Safe!! Sassy!

Forum Member

My Sass.......(back side)

Uuummmm...... Hhmmm.... Yeah, I guess that will come to! Along with the rest of me!!!

Actually, I went to NYC a couple of months ago( but I couldn't find a fire station??) and I found every one I met to be entertaining, intriguing, and over all the kind of people I like!!! No one was "rude" to me personally, and the best part was the accents!! They are so great! Plus- everyone here says I talk to fast and that I am the one with the accent, in NY... everyone said I talked so laid back and slow (and that I had the accent). Finally, people who can handle my energy level!! YEAH
    OH!! And as for that invite from the NY boys--- If you're game--I'm game! Speaking of... QUESTION: how exactly does the FDNY run with NYC EMS out of their stations if they are seperate entities??? ( Or that's how I understand the system..) Any info would be appriciated, I am quite inqusitive these days!
    Stay low and stay Safe!! Sassy! [/B][/QUOTE]

Forum Member

oops...

Forum Member

come to new brunswick, I promise to show you a good time
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Go Where?................

Ma'am, With all due Respect, You're pointed a bit too far North. Adjust your compass heading so you end up about two hundred miles South of New York. The Baltimore/DC area is where things happen. AND, If you want to, you can be part of what's happening here, not just a spectator. Just to give an example, IF the number of Females in the FDNY is as low as some folks claim, (less than 100) it doesn't sound too friendly. Our Department is around 30% Female (This is assuming that you want to work/Volunteer in a East Coast FD). If you are "just visiting", no matter. Everyone is welcome.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

All the Rude NYC crap is just the APPLE'S bad rap. My home town is loaded with the smartest, most culturally diverse, friendliest, giving citizens in the country. NY is, and always has been the immigrant city taking in all who come to her and giving them the best place to become someone. It's a tough town at times but soon you'll become street smart and become one of us. As the Famed EMMA LAZARUS wrote on the tablet that the Statue of Liberty holds " I light my lamp beside the golden door" Sassy1, welcome to the other side of the golden door and best of luck in all you attempt.
    Never trust a smiling dog.
    The uniform you're given is free, but it comes with a history. Do the right thing when you're in it.
    PTB, EGH, FTM.

District Chief

Sassy....good luck to you in your move. I wish you the best of luck. Hope your trip across the country is a safe one.

Keep us posted on your adventure.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Best of luck...however words of advice.

Just a word of caution. I don't know what your experiences are or your knowledge of the city is. I wish you all the best in your move and I hope it is as much if not more than you expected.

However I have met a number of people who forgot this is a real city with real problems and with real bad MFk'ers who Do seek to cause you harm. My cop friends have met many more who are disolusioned when they get victimized.

While crime is down signifigantly from the highs of the 70s 80s and 90s and the city as a whole is much safer and livable on all accounts...The city and top police officals continue to manipulate the crime stats...crime isn't down as much as they would have you believe. The only crime that is down is documented crime.

This past year some aspiring actress (aka every waitress I've ever met) got shot and killed after being confronted by a dirty animal with a gun who demanded their belongings while walking in the Lower East Side. After the mope pointed the gun at them she defiantly asked "what are you going to do shoot us?". And that is just what that savage did. She is now taking a dirt nap forever. She forgot or never realized this is not Disney Land despite as much as Times Square might look like it. Don't ever forget that. Don't challenge a thug with a knife or gun...it isn't going to end up like TV.

Wherever you move...do lots of research. Realestate agents are known to bend the truth and lie to get you into an appartment in a less than desirable neighborhood. They change the names so that unsuspecting persons will not know they are moving into a war zone.
    The realtors call it Stuyvessan Heights, instead of the well known Bedford-Stuyvesant which keeps away the smart people.

In a world where Spanish Harlem becomes SPA-HA and the South Bronx becomes SO-BRO you really have to know where you are wanting to rent. There is a reason the rents are lower on East 129th than on East 29th St. If there is any question as to what type of neighborhood it is...find the closest firehouse and ask the firemen if they would live in the neighborhood if they had the $$$. If they say no...you might want to look elsewhere.

(The following is an incomplete list...if any one of these Engines is 1st or Due to your apartment...you might want to consider a different area. Moderate to Heavy fire duty doesn't happen in nice neighborhoods.) If you do move near these companies...be very careful what block..there can be some good ones mixed in with some very undesirable neighbors. However for the most part these Engines cover sh*tty areas.

E082 E237
    E084
    E088 E233
    E090
    E015 E092
    E093 E250
    E094
    E095 E035
    E037 E096 E036
    E038 E217
    E042 E227 E229
    E043 E231 E271
    E045 E234 E046
    E048 E235 E276
    E050 E236 E277
    E053 E246 E278
    E248 E281
    E058 E249 E083
    E059 E255 E091
    E060 E257 E330
    E062 E273 E310
    E063 E275 E201
    E064 E280 E207
    E283 E209
    E067 E289 E210
    E068 E290 E214
    E069 E298 E216
    E071 E218
    E073 E219
    E075 E303 E222
    E307 E225
    E079 E318
    E080 E332 E230

Again Best of Luck in the Move.

PS-First we don't have stations, Trains, Police, Vollies have stations...we have Firehouses. Second of all EMS doesn't run out of our firehouses...except for two unfortunate examples in SI and Qns.

HWoods- The current count is about 25 I think, and you should know it isn't because we aren't friendly. It is because we have a extreemly difficult and dangerous job (refer back to the NY times pics of our standard gear on a run) We have standards and a simple hiring process. You meet the standards, you get hired. You don't meet the standards you don't get hired. There are few places where Firefighting on a day to day basis is as physiclly demanding.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Wink

My-my!! Everyone is very nice to point out the obvious. Thank you very much for your concern, however, let me point out some details to put your minds at ease.
    First, I was born and raised in Denver (not in the good area--if there is one now)so the city is nothing new to me. I will not be living in NYC either, and am very cognizant of my surroundings when out and about in city areas. I would never put myself at risk, and there are many things I know how to do to prevent that.
    As far as the number of females in FDNY-- I believe what was said, if you can do the job you get the job, if you can't--get out and quit trying to put everyone else at risk for the sake of feel good PC. I volunteer at a a paid/volly fire "house" and I NEVER WANT TO BE ALLOWED TO RESPOND IF I CAN'T PULL ONE OF MY BIG BROTHERS FROM HARMS WAY. They call me "baby sister" here, and love me dearly... but that's because I bust my hump to pull not only my weight, but to ease the load of the whole team. There's nothing I won't do to help my Brothers... I do every thing and then some for my officers. It shows in the letters of references that have begun to poor in from my fire family. They hope to see me continue to succeed in this service, and I will do every thing to do them and myself proud.
    BTW Thank you Baltimore, but my medic ran with you for almost 20 yrs.. I don't think I'm up for the excitement you provide, but I'll tell you this-- if you or any one else in your dept. is like my medic--you have my utmost respect sir! HERO'S ALL OF YOU... that's how I see you. Even as I strive to do what you do, I will never see myself in the same light.. I look up to you all!!!!!! Thank you for all you teach, all you give, all you sacrifice-- THANK YOU!!!
    As for you DrParasite...... Well hello neighbor! LOL!!!!
    Everyone--stay safe and stay low..... I'll see you on the other side of the "Golden door" in 18 days!

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

My-my!! Everyone is very nice to point out the obvious.
    Nothing against you as I said I didn't know your background all I could see was your name with North Idaho on it However as I stated, you think it would be obvious right?...however I've met many new residents to the city who obviously didn't know the obvious...like walking alone through public housing at 0320 because it was the shortest route to the apartment or moving into East Flatbush because it was cheap!

Again best of luck in the move.

FTM-PTB

PS-I've been to Denver a number of times...there are definately some Sh*tholes neighborhoods there.

Forum Member

Smile

True-- sometimes the "obvious" is the one thing we don't see... but I do appriciate your concern--another reason I couldn't bear to leave my fire brothers behind and not look back, or forward to more. I would love to go into NYC and see what it's all about. I have spent one day in NYC and I am very intrigued!!! It would be nice if I could take a couple of my brothers with me, but some have lived there and they swear they would never go back--and they keep trying to talk me into staying...LOL. None the less I am coming any way, and look forward to the challenge and adventure!!!!!

District Chief

Sassy...I have a friend named Joel Kanasky who works at FDNY Rescue 1. You have to go there and visit. He will give you the tour and the history. He is a great guy. I believe it is on 53rd ave between 11th and 12th closest to the Jersey side of Midtown Manhattan. Only about 8 blocks from Times Square.
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

captstanm1,

Close but no cigar. Try again...three rings for a dollar step right up!

It is on West 43rd St. between 10th and 11th Ave's not 53rd between 11th and 12th. If I'm not mistaken in fact that block doesn't exist...If you were to go to the general area of 53 bet 11&12th you would find yourself in center field of DeWitt Clinton Parks Ballfield!

FTM-PTB

PS- "Close" only counts in Horse-shoes, Hand-grenades and Global Thermo-Nuclear War!
    Last edited by FFFRED; 07-02-2005 at 12:42 AM.

District Chief

Ok...so I was off 11 blocks to the north and one to the east..... It was late when I was there and I had been walking the city for most fo the day....
    BMI Investigator

MembersZone Subscriber

FFFRed,

I discovered what you mean about "less than desirable neighbourhoods" a couple of months ago when I had to abandon a gypsy cab in the Bronx that was supposed to be taking me to a firehouse where a friend works. Unfortunately the driver didn't have a clue, my arabic was better than his english so we were able to communicate but I had to abandon ship and walk about 16 blocks, which was "interesting". I was rather glad to finally reach the house.

Despite this I still love NYC and will return again someday soon - just wish that someone would invent a way to shorten the killer 29 hours flying time
    Last edited by stillPSFB; 07-02-2005 at 08:40 AM.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

MembersZone Subscriber

stillPSFB,

Glad to see you made it. I hope you didn't look too conspicuous in that neighborhood. They had you probably figured for a cop or someone looking for their dealer or a crazy person!

If you heard ("YO! 5-0 MotherF*cker") everywhere you went, they probably thought you were a cop.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Wink

Cap, thanks for the name!!! I will look up your friend, and go for a visit! I am even going to take some thing special to eat ( Brownies or what ever I feel like whipping up!!!) Do you think they would let me help wash trucks while I'm there, or clean the station???? Yeah, I know--sounds odd, but it's those trivial things that I think I'm going to really miss when I leave here ( mostly it's habit from doing it every single shift) Anyway, I would love to go visit, tour cook and work or help out! Then I'll take my adorable, happy, self back across the state line and live another day!!LOL!!! Speaking of days--only 12 more left here in the North West......

District Chief

I dont know if they would let you cook or clean...but if you took food...they would take it!!!!!!
    BMI Investigator

Forum Member

Works for me!!!! I'll just feel deeply honored top be there, learn the history and any advice I can pick up!!!!!

Thread Information