Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default in the state of nj...

from what ive been told, any of the credentials you get in the state of NJ, you cannot take with you out of state to another fire department because they arent recognized nationally. why is this? and what can we in nj do about this?

Most major Fire Academies have had their training process for the various NFPA Firefighter and Emergency Responder programs evaluated and accreditted by IFSAC (The International Fire Service Accreditation Congress) out of the Oklahoma State University.

For instance, since I took my Fire Fighter Level 2 (NFPA 1001 y2002) in Manitoba, Canada, I'm recognized by IFSAC as completing the course, and if I were to apply to a FD in New Mexico, whom also conforms to the same IFSAC standard, my training would likely be recognized.

By consulting the list located here:
    http://www.ifsac.org/calevels.html

I see that New Jersey is not listed at all, so therefore I wouldn't expect my training to be accepted at face value there, nor would I be able to verify that anyone coming from there is trained up to the same standard as someone trained where I am.

[edit] Aall you could really do about this is pressure the State to adopt NFPA standards and have the IFSAC evaluate and accredit the courses, which may or may not require significant tweaking to existing methods.
    Last edited by Ruckus; 07-06-2005 at 03:08 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

You should be able to go for NFPA level certs this fall, at least FF1 and 2.. the curriculum was just issued to us as instructors.

Halligan84, is that using the "NJ version" of the Delmar books? I had heard that was what the State was going to use from now on.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

I know we are using Delmar now, I have not been involved in the FF1/2 curriculum for a while so I am not sure if it's our version. From what I hear we will teach FF1 and 2 and students will be eligible to sit for NFPA FF1/2 certification.

NJ was supposed to have their "customized" version available beginning 2005. Like normal, it wasn't. We just had graduation services a couple weeks ago and are still waiting for the NJ books. Maybe for 2006....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Several Years ago there were a number of us at my company whom were "Grand-Fathered" because of our level of certifications {Firefighter I / II } taken at our local training center. - I believe now it has changed but I'm not sure how.

On the Flip Side Back in July of '03 I was hired onto a Combination Department in Delaware and all of my NJ Training was accepted. - This Delaware Company has just gone to a ranking system for thier Volunteers basically saying if they haven't taken the National FF I / II Examinations they are limited in the duties they can perform including acting as officers. Yet with my certifications which were accepted I now Out-Rank some of thier members....Right or Wrong ? don't really know but I can say Delaware accepts out of state Certs.

i just finished FF1 in june and i was the one of the first classes to use the new delmar books. i wonder if i would be able to take the proboard exam?

Thread Information