+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default USFA Report on the Dangers (not the Benefits) of Fireworks

Release Date: June 23, 2005

FIREWORKS CAUSE 23,200 FIRES, $35 MILLION IN DAMAGE AND INJURE 9,300

U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) Releases the Dangers of Fireworks Report

WASHINGTON, D.C. - An estimated 23,200 fireworks fires in 2002 caused
    approximately $35 million in property loss and almost 60 percent of those fires occurred during the month of July around the Independence Day holiday, according to a new report from the Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Children under age 15 suffered 45 percent of the 9,300 injuries from fireworks. Firecrackers, sparklers and
    bottle rockets are the leading contributors to these injuries.

Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency
    Preparedness and Response and head of FEMA, which includes the U.S. Fire Administration, said the new study reminds Americans "that consumer fireworks are indeed dangerous."

"Fireworks account for a large number of preventable fires and injuries," Brown said. "We're not trying to take the fun out of Independence Day celebrations but parents must use extreme caution in assuring that children are properly supervised in the safe handling of legal fireworks."

The report, The Dangers of Fireworks, was developed by the National Fire Data Center, part of FEMA's U.S. Fire Administration, and is based on data from the 2002 National Fire Incident Reporting System, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the National Fire Protection Association. The report summarizes some of the characteristics of fireworks fires, with an emphasis on the dangers and injuries that are associated with fireworks.

"Fireworks are especially injurious to children - even those that are
    considered relatively safe like sparklers and firecrackers," said U.S. Fire Administrator R. David Paulison. "The safest way to enjoy Fourth of July celebrations is by attending public fireworks displays conducted by professional pyrotechnicians."

A copy of the full report can be downloaded from:
    http://www.usfa.fema.gov/statistics/...pubs/tfrs.shtm

FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. FEMA also initiates mitigation activities, trains first responders, works with state and local emergency managers, and manages the National Flood Insurance Program and the U.S. Fire Administration. FEMA became part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on March 1, 2003.

When fireworks cause more damage then they bring in revenue I will be all for there banning. But until then, this Born on the Fourth of July boy, will be launching and lighting off every little firework that Joe Dirt named, and a few that he did not! AND ONLY THEN will I get really drunk.
    After atleast five firecrackers going off prematurely in my hand over the past 30 years or so with out losing a digit or any skin i have begun to disagree with the safety gurus on the true explosive danger of the things. Don't make your own unless trained to and think of the fire danger before you set up and start the beer flowing and you should be safe. Oh yeah and don't let your kids run around unsupervised(kind of a universal, not just fireworks related)
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

You're a piece of work. I guess you are a whole lot smarter than the USFA.

BTW, don't make your own UNLESS YOU FEEL LIKE GOING TO JAIL!

since i live in NJ fireworks are already banned so i have no problem
    with it.

I was working for the city of north charleston in SC for a bit a few years back and remember i worked 4th of july so a few of us made our ways to the roof of the station to watch the fireworks and all i have to say is the sky that night and for weeks before and after the 4th looked like shock and awe over the citys and IMO it was rediculous there is no need for untrained people to have that kind of stuff.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)
    Last edited by DianeC; 06-24-2005 at 05:29 PM.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Originally posted by BFDNJFF
    IMO it was rediculous there is no need for untrained people to have that kind of stuff.
    Sounds like you could be a spokesman for Handgun Control Inc.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Sounds like you could be a spokesman for Handgun Control Inc.
    umm i actualy am a gun owner and have no problems with that.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Arrow

I grew up in a "fireworks family." My family hosted, funded and shot an annual fireworks display for the community with Class C product. As I got older, I became more familiar with pyrotechnics. I now shoot 1.3G display fireworks for communities in my state.

For many years, my family has enjoyed fireworks without any notable injury or property damage. Although I'm sure we are the exception, I think fireworks are like so many other things in our society. If used in a sane manner, they can be very enjoyable. If used by idiots, trouble results.

On a related note, the American Pyrotechnics Association has put together some information for fire service professionals. Included in the online packet is a classification of fireworks and emergency response information for consumer and display product.

http://www.americanpyro.com/fireserv...reservice.html

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.nfpa.org/newsReleaseDetai...8&itemID=24791

Support for ban on consumer fireworks grows
    Twenty-one health and safety advocacy organizations partner to prevent injury & fire

WASHINGTON, DC, June 15, 2005—Twenty-one health and fire safety advocacy organizations came together today to urge consumers not to use fireworks, including sparklers, this Independence Day holiday because of the injuries and damage they cause.

Each year, most people injured by consumer fireworks are children and teens. While the fireworks causing these injuries are legal in the vast majority of states, they can often lead to severe burns, scars and disfigurement. “Every year consumer fireworks injure and maim our children,” said James M. Shannon, president and CEO of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), which along with the American Academy of Pediatrics, founded the alliance of health and safety organizations three years ago. “Consumer fireworks are a significant public safety concern shared by doctors, nurses, other health care professionals, and members of the fire service.”

The alliance held a press conference today in the nation’s capital to drive home the safety message and to urge consumers instead to attend public displays of fireworks orchestrated by trained professionals.

Members of the alliance include:

American Academy of Family Physicians International Association of Fire Chiefs
    American Academy of Ophthalmology International Association of Fire Fighters
    American Academy of Pediatrics
    International Fire Marshals Association
    American Association for Hand Surgery Metropolitan Fire Chiefs
    American Association of Public Health Physicians National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners
    American Burn Association National Association of State Fire Marshals
    American College of Emergency Physicians National Association of School Nurses
    American Society of Plastic Surgeons National Fire Protection Association
    Emergency Nurses Association National Volunteer Fire Council
    Fire Department Safety Officers Prevent Blindness America
    International Association of Arson Investigators

The group also released the following snapshot of the destruction caused by consumer fireworks.

Injuries: In the year 2003, five out of six (84%) of the 9,300 fireworks injuries reported to emergency departments involved fireworks that federal regulations permit consumers to use (formerly known as Class C fireworks). Total injuries were up from 8,800 from 2002. More than one-third (38%) of the 2003 fireworks injuries that presented in emergency departments were to the head, and half (51%) were to the extremities. About 20% of injuries involved the eyes. Nearly two-thirds (63%) of all injuries were burns.

Sixty percent of those injured were age 19 or younger. The highest risk of fireworks injury was to children, ages 5-9, whose risk in 2003 was nine times the all-age risk; in most other years, children ages 10-14 had the highest risk. Males accounted for nearly three-fourths (72%) of fireworks injuries.

Fires: In the year 2002, the latest year for which national fireworks-related fire statistics are available, fire departments responded to an estimated 3,000 structure and vehicle fires started by fireworks. Outdoor fires, however, can no longer be sorted by cause, as a result of fire coding changes beginning in 1999. But traditionally, on the Independence Day holiday, fireworks cause more fires in the U.S. than all other causes of fire on that day combined.

In the year 2002, fires started by fireworks caused $28 million in property damage to structures and vehicles.

Laws: There are currently only six states that ban all consumer fireworks. They are: Arizona, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island. When the health and safety alliance was formed three years ago, there were 10 states that banned all consumer fireworks.

The estimated injury risk from legal fireworks was 14 times as high in the states that permitted sparklers and novelties compared to the full-ban states. In states that permit most or all consumer fireworks, the estimated injury risk was 57 times as high compared to states that ban the use of all consumer fireworks.

It is very difficult to enforce restrictions on fireworks use through state laws because residents of a state that prohibits fireworks can often cross a state border to buy the devices. Every year, for example, people from Massachusetts drive into neighboring New Hampshire to buy fireworks from retail stands that set up near the border.

Laws: There are currently only six states that ban all consumer fireworks. They are: Arizona, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island. When the health and safety alliance was formed three years ago, there were 10 states that banned all consumer fireworks.
    Sounds like an effective alliance, seven more years and no one will have a complete ban.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

If you would practice the art of reading, you would see that the press release was dated 6/15/2005 and it pointed out that the alliance came together TODAY (meaining 6/15/05).

If the CPSC acts, which I suspect it now will, the ban will be complete and immediate. Yes, the CPSC has that power.

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    If you would practice the art of reading, you would see that the press release was dated 6/15/2005 and it pointed out that the alliance came together TODAY (meaining 6/15/05).

If the CPSC acts, which I suspect it now will, the ban will be complete and immediate. Yes, the CPSC has that power.
    Nope it said the groups had a press conference on June 15, 2005, the alliance is three years old. In the three years that it has existed, four states rejected the idea that all fireworks should be banned.
    -Big Russ

Then again drag(am & pro) raceing,horse back rideing,farming,rideing motorcycles,SCUBA diveing,hikeing,hang glideing,sky diveing,mowing the lawn,skate boarding,bicycle riding are all dangerous. Where is the outrage??? Where are the press releases???? Ohh the humanity!!!!

Every year the fire service regurgitate’s the same nauseating statistics and chest thumping by FEMA. There are more long winded titles in the press release than there is useful info that speaks to the people that acutely use fireworks!

When was the last time some moron who bought $400 worth of fire works and $800 worth of beer and headed to the summer camp said"Gee I better not light these off cause according to the latest press release by the USFA."

The USFA press release telling firefighters fire works are dangerous is a bit redundant. The USFA does a good job of talking to firefighters, but a bad job talking to Joe Public and changing there opinion.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm confused as to where it says in the article that the alliance is three years old. Not doubting you, just wondering if you had a source.

Jesse, as usual, your blabber shows your ignorance. Can you cite some statistics that shows that skateboarding caused the millions on damage that are documented to have been caused by fireworks?

And as for the FEMA comment-The press relase that I just got done posting was from the NFPA. Hardly are they guilty of not being able to talk to the public.

Do dome intelligent research. When was the last time some idiot with $400 worth of fireworks caused in excess of $50,000 worth of damage?

I'm confused as to where it says in the article that the alliance is three years old. Not doubting you, just wondering if you had a source.

Jesse, as usual, your blabber shows your ignorance. Can you cite some statistics that shows that skateboarding caused the millions on damage that are documented to have been caused by fireworks?

And as for the FEMA comment-The press relase that I just got done posting was from the NFPA. Hardly are they guilty of not being able to talk to the public.

Do dome intelligent research. When was the last time some idiot with $400 worth of fireworks caused in excess of $50,000 worth of damage?
    Right from where I quoted in the first place.

The fireworks industry brings in billions of dollars to the economy, and the American Pyrotechnic Association spends millions each year teaching the public safe practices with fireworks. Frankly, while it sucks to get injured individualy, the numbers that really get hurt are relatively low. I have seen guys with beat up jalope's not worth $200 cause well over $100,000 in damage, but as long as cars pass the safety inspections(just as fireworks have to pass minimum safety standards) no one is legitimately calling for their complete ban.
    -Big Russ

Here is the other side's point of view.
    Backyard Fireworks Celebrations Will Set New Record for July Fourth
    Bethesda, MD, June 22, 2005 As the Fourth of July approaches, Americans are buying more fireworks for backyard
    celebrations than ever before, according to the American Pyrotechnics Association.
    Retailers across the country are reporting brisk sales of consumer fireworks, usually sold at roadside stands.
    The association attributes the increased sales to an upsurge of patriotism, as fireworks are historically a symbol of
    American independence and national pride.
    Another factor is that more states are allowing the sale of consumer fireworks, which are now legal in 45 states and
    the District of Columbia.
    Julie L. Heckman, Executive Director of the American Pyrotechnics Association, said that while more and more
    Americans are choosing to celebrate July Fourth with backyard fireworks, there will probably be fewer injuries this
    year from misuse of fireworks.
    This is because the fireworks themselves are safer, and consumers are more aware of safety.
    There has been a 75 percent drop in injuries since 1990, although fireworks use has more than tripled in that period,
    she said.

All of today’s consumer fireworks meet stringent safety standards set by the Consumer Product Safety Commission
    (CPSC), Ms. Heckman said. “Even though they are mostly made in China, they have to conform with U.S.
    Government safety standards or they cannot be imported and sold here.”
    Another reason for fewer injuries, she said, is that for many years the fireworks industry and government have
    conducted a national safety campaign directed at children, parents and fire safety officials.
    They encourage all consumers to follow these safety rules:
    �� Always buy fireworks from an established retail outlet.
    �� Observe local laws. If local laws do not allow consumer fireworks, enjoy a professional display.
    �� Responsible adult supervision is a must. Young children should never be given fireworks to handle alone –
    even sparklers can be unsafe if improperly used.
    �� Never shoot, aim or throw fireworks in the direction of another person or animal.
    �� Keep a bucket of water handy for emergencies (great for soaking hot sparklers).
    �� Never try to re-ignite fireworks that have malfunctioned. Douse with water; wait 15 minutes before properly
    disposing.
    �� Eye protection should always be worn by the designated fireworks shooter.
    “By adhering to these practical, common sense safety tips,” says Heckman, “we can make this year’s Independence
    Day holiday the safest ever.”
    For additional information on how to safely enjoy fireworks, please visit the National Council on Fireworks Safety
    web site at www.fireworksafety.com
    About the American Pyrotechnics Association
    The APA is the leading trade association of the fireworks industry. The APA supports and promotes safety standards
    for all aspects of fireworks. The APA has a diverse membership including regulated and licensed manufacturers,
    distributors, wholesalers, retailers, importers and suppliers of fireworks and professional public display firms.
    Additional information about the fireworks industry, facts & figures, history of fireworks, and state laws, can be
    found on APA’s web site at www.americanpyro.com
    ###
    -Big Russ

Jesse, as usual, your blabber shows your ignorance. Can you cite some statistics that shows that skateboarding caused the millions on damage that are documented to have been caused by fireworks? Skate boarding is a comparison to activitys that pose a danger to life and limb. But I can always count you cliff to take it out of context.

And as for the FEMA comment-The press relase that I just got done posting was from the NFPA. Hardly are they guilty of not being able to talk to the public. MMMM thats personal opinion. I still dont think they are or FEMA.

I cant think of one at the lake in either 93 or 94. A guy across the lake from us shot a bottle rocket in to his eaves!!!!!
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Talking fireworks

Is this going to be as along as the flag burning issue? I will have my radio awaiting the calls for the idiots that insist on using the illegsal firworks and injuring themselves, a few innocent kids and setting fire to who knows what. In the meantime I'll stick with the safe and sane stuff, build my bunker to avoid the nut cases firing every direction, keep the hose handy and wonder when it will end. By the way pass the bottle and the matches Dennis.

Default Re: fireworks

Originally posted by lvwrench
    Is this going to be as along as the flag burning issue? I will have my radio awaiting the calls for the idiots that insist on using the illegsal firworks and injuring themselves, a few innocent kids and setting fire to who knows what. In the meantime I'll stick with the safe and sane stuff, build my bunker to avoid the nut cases firing every direction, keep the hose handy and wonder when it will end. By the way pass the bottle and the matches Dennis.
    pansy
    -Big Russ

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Each year, most people injured by consumer fireworks are children and teens.
    "Sure, let me give my kid a burning stick to play with." I blame the parents for these injuries, not the fireworks.

I must say I do find it interesting that some of the same people that are pro-gun ownership claiming a gun is just a tool, are anti-fireworks. A product is a product, and it's the operator that makes the difference. If a drunk idiot blows their hand off with a cherry bomb, then blame the drunk because obviously they're not smart enough to know not do to that.

Since I'm in an unincorporated part of the county, I can launch anything at any time, and I plan on celebrating with my new neighbors in a big way. 500mg shots all around. A sober, intelligent adult, properly using a consumer product.

They only sell for 2 weeks before July 4th, and New Years. For the last 5 years we've had close to drought condition each year, and no fires, no injuries, nothing related to fireworks. Careful, proper use by an educated public.

IMHO it's just another case of blaming an object for operator error. Sure every now and again 'innocent' people are hurt just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but the same thing happens in car accidents and I don't see anyone rushing to have a person's license revoked after one accident (unless DWI involved).

Thread Information