Apartment fire forces evacuation
Last update: June 26, 2005
DAYTONA BEACH -- Residents of a beachside apartment building were forced out into the rain for 30 minutes Saturday while firefighters doused flames that sent smoke into the hallways, officials said.
Firefighters from the city and Daytona Beach Shores battled the blaze in a ground-floor unit of the three-story New Grandview Apartments, 516 S. Grandview Ave., about 11 a.m, Daytona Beach fire spokesman Lt. John King said.
Investigators determined the fire was sparked by a multiplug adaptor with several electrical appliances plugged into it in the kitchen of one of the units.
The overloaded outlet tripped the building's circuit breaker several times, but the tenant continued to reset the breaker without reducing the power load to the wiring, King said. This caused the wiring inside the wall to overheat and ignite, he said.
Daytona Beach fire code prohibits the use of electrical multiplug adaptors, King said.
No one was injured in the blaze, King said. Firefighters set up a tent away from the fire to protect the evacuated residents from the downpour. The fire caused about $2,000 in damage, King said.
Good stop, I use to live in that building, no sprinklers old wood frame building.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 1 of 1
Thread: Daytona Beach apt fire
06-26-2005, 11:14 AM #1
- Join Date
- Mar 2004
Daytona Beach apt fire
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)