Thread: hurricane sog's

MembersZone Subscriber

Default hurricane sog's

i tried the search function but did not find anything. i am wondering if anybody has sog's that cover hurricanes and storms approaching your area.we are a volunteer department in texas halfway between houston and galveston along the coast,we currently have sog's in effect but we are updating them as we speak. just looking for other ideas that other departments have in place that we could implement. if have sog's in writing could you share them with me, my e-mail address is lcvfd611@houstonrr.com thanks for any input that you can provide.

Forum Member

Sure, we have them. But they are tailored for our area. Are you looking for anything in particular?
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

there are some things that we are looking for specific answers to like do you always have a crew at the station regardless of the catorgory of storm that is coming, or do you evacuate once it reaches cat.4 or higher , do you leave town to safer ground and return once it passes. do you have a set wind speed that you will not respond to calls once it is reached. this is just some of the questions that i can think of right now. would really like to see some sog's from you guys who went through this last year just to see if our policies are on the same page . thanks for the response.

Forum Member

The basics, OK...We have two stations on a barrier island. The one evacuates early on (50 mph sustained) as its a modular building. The other (our HQ) is staffed untill water comes over the road to the north and south of the station. We then pull all operations over to higher ground on the mainland. We use the large rec center at a local church.

As for rigs and the wind, I think county SOG is 50 mph sustained, but we will run engines in higher then that. The aerials and hi sided rigs (ambulances, box type trucks) park at 50 mph. We let the CO's on the engines make the call as to when its time to stop. The only time we "pulled the plug" was during the last of the four storms that came through last year. We parked all the rigs when it hit 65mph sustained (gusts close to 100).
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the info dave1983, sounds like good info. i will take to our line officers meeting to discuss. thanks again

Thread Information