MembersZone Subscriber

Default kme,toyne,crimson,alf,marion,rosenbauer?

just looking for any input on these manufactures, good,bad, or ugly! we are currently specing a truck and just looking for some info from people who have used these companies.
    thanks
    michael umphrey
    captain higgins twp fire/rescue/ems
    roscommon,mi

MembersZone Subscriber

What kind of a truck are you writing specs for? Also, if you have a few minutes take time and scroll through the threads in this forum from the last year or two. I think you will find a lot of what your looking for.

MembersZone Subscriber

You will find someone on here that will swear by each brand. You will also find someone that will swear AT each brand.

I agree though, be more specific if you're building a rescue, a pumper (even whether or not its a rear-mount, mid-mount, etc.) Some builders do a much better job that others in regards to certain styles of design.

Which Rosenbauer division? Central States and General Safety build two very distinct types of bodies. Toyne (I believe) bolts their bodies together, which some folks like and some don't. Some will tell you that Marion builds a top of the line rescue, etc. Don't forget to consider who sells the stuff locally - nothing else in my opinion will have a greater impact on your experience with the new unit, from the moment you start writing specs to when an issue needs to be taken care of after it's been parked in your bay for a year.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Rosenbauer i give them thumbs up,their Central States Division,they built our 1st new truck ever, for a great and i mean great price and it was built the way a firetruck should be,patiently, they took 8 months but they did it all right. Rosenbauer in general is a great manufacturer and they stand behind their work. www.centralfire.com
    www.rosenbaueramerica.com

Forum Member

A horse and buggy with some buckets are more reliable than a KME.

Forum Member

Crimson trucks are very well built. We went with them this time for our new truck. We had HME/Central states. We have had numerous problems with the 3 we have. 2 or them run 2500 plus calls a year and are in the shop once a month due to varies electrical shorts, a/c issues, paint coming off the body in big flakes, steering to name a few. not the best made trucks from Central States. Like Engco29 said they are cheaply priced. For a slower dept. they might do good not for a busy high call volume dept. just my 2 cents. chris

MembersZone Subscriber

Default the truck we want is a

top mount rescue pumper, with 750 gals. waterous 1250 pump!
    michael umphrey
    captain higgins twp fire/rescue/ems
    roscommon,mi

Forum Member

http://centralfire.com/Apparatus/Cus...atus/Index.cfm

click on any of the apparatus and go through the VR Tour, they give you the basics on what the apparatus comes either standard or can be fitted with.

we got a rescue-pumper-tanker, 1,500GPM,1,500 Water Tank...alot more but its a rescue pumper. check it out, its a great rescue pumper to draw a plan form...i think so lol.
    http://www.llvfc292.org/gallery/view...2923_lettering

Forum Member

Default no poll ?

sniff, sniff, ...........is this AsstEngr229 ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Thumbs down Central

I have never worked off of one, but every, EVERY, department in my neck of the woods has sworn off Central States. The neighboring county ordered 2 tankers from them a few years back. After they were delivered, the dept. filled them with water for the first time. Then they tried to move them and they wouldn't budge!!! The bodies under the water weight had settled down onto the rear wheels. Like I said, I have never used on personnally. But with all of the horror stories around here, we'll never own one.

Viva La Sutphen!!!
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

Forum Member

We have three from your list. 1990 KME pumper 1500 gpm/1500 gal on an International chassis. Relatively minor issues over the years, however it's our least used truck, so we really haven't beat it hard. Some electrical problems, fit and finish is poor especially the body doors. The rear end is overloaded, our fault in the spec, but was never challenged during the build. Wouldn't rush out for another KME.

1994 Marion 14ft Walk-In Rescue on an International chassis. Our workhorse truck. Very minor problems over the years. Neighboring company had paint issues with 2 Marion pumpers, but that seems to be a fairly common problem with many builders. Based on our experience, I would have no problem looking at a Marion again.

1999 ALF/General Safety 1500 gpm/1000 gal pumper. Orange peel paint on the cab, had to be redone. Air conditioning problems on delivery, and again today..going out to be repaired. Chassis has held up well, other companies have had major rust problems but we've had none so far. General makes a nice body, good fit and finish. Dissimilar metals corrosion on a couple doors on the body where the D ring handles meet the aluminum doors. Have had to have repainted. We like the truck. ALF chassis is a little pricey, it was our first custom chassis. General makes a nice body, it's the only General that I know of in our area.

Find a good dealer who will work with you and take care of you AFTER the sale.

Forum Member

Default Re: no poll ?

Originally posted by Weruj1
    sniff, sniff, ...........is this AsstEngr229 ?
    1.Spell my old screenname right it's AsstEngineer292

2.229 is Delran's Squad, im 292 get that right.

3. No more polls and you ask why?Well i get better answers by using the PM system

Forum Member

no disrespect intended, just curious ...............
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Oh darn, my cape must have torn, you found me. Well looks like im off to the tailor to sew it back.

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: no poll ?

Originally posted by EngCo29

3. No more polls and you ask why?Well i get better answers by using the PM system
    Grow up, kid.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default Re: Re: no poll ?

Originally posted by EngCo29

I bet you he'll relent and have a poll by this next month!

I too, like CaptGonz, think he should grow up. Changing his sceen name doesn't mean squat.

He is still the same AsstEngineer292!!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information