+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread: This Friday....

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Default This Friday....

At 4am EST is what the word on the street is for the Opening Round of the 2005 AFG Awards. You all can set your alarms, I get up at 5 CST anyway.

Forum Member

Default Friday is awash...

Sorry... that is bad info.. There is still no determined date for release of AFG awards. Continue to monitor the AFG website www.firegrantsupport.com for updates. The best case scenario is still 2-4 weeks out.. Although, when the first round of awards is released, it'll be a whopper of an announcement and MANY departments will be ecstatic....

Patience is a virtue friends...

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If you work for DHS you may want to check with your people in DC. Someone high up. The official word until the phone call I hung up with before posting this was the first week in July. That has now become July 1st according to the person on the other end of that phone.

Unless they get overridden by someone higher than them (which never happens in the government ) and it becomes July 8th, but not putting any money on it being delayed. 700 departments are queued.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds great!!! Get the first 700 out of the way so I can hopefully find ten questions in my inbox.

Any "Dear Johns" yet?

Congratulations to the first round winners coming up!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Sorry if my post sounds like "my Deere can outpull yours", but I don't like people playing shell games when it comes to these grants and people needing the equipment sooner than later.

More than a few people have been getting told the first round is in the first week of July and it's been posted several times in here. And if the 1st of July wasn't this Friday, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But for someone to register today, and make a first post trying to keep everything cloak and dagger and whatnot, irks me a little. Everyone that comes here knows I like to joke around, but not about stuff like this. For a lot of people, getting the money sooner means that there's less of a chance of one of their firefighters getting hurt because of poor/bad/no equipment. I don't play when it comes to money and announcements, or post stuff I don't think has been verified just so I can claim I knew first. I don't care who knows what when, it's about giving people the information they need when they need it and not playing around. It's an integrity issue.

That's why I posted, so people know things are progressing. There's no reason to play games with the first round of awards or denials. We all know the 10 ?s and 1199A are signs of the award coming. This politically correct "well it doesn't really mean an award" gets real old, real fast. The later denials, yeah, there may be excess money coming back, so the possibility exists that someone else can get some or all of their award, so there is a reason to hold off on announcing them.

But everyone knows how the program works. 12,000+ apps didn't make it to peer review so they're not getting money. I say stop playing games and let them know ASAP so they can pursue other funding opportunities that exist for the equipment.

Sorry for the rant people. Long day.

Forum Member

Brian
    Very Well Put!!! Thanks again for the info

Tom

Forum Member

well way to go brian. its about time someone got that point across. i come in here and check everyday to see if anyone has heard. as for us we haven't heard anything yet. i know it was a long shot to try for a truck..if we get award thats great. if we don't i wish they would let us know soon so we can try and find funding somewhere else. its so hard to wait all these months, then get dear john in or around the first of the next year. when all the depts. that get dear john could have spent the months looking for the funding else where. as for myself. i have learned a few things from you..you have kept us well informed. and have never told anything that wasn't the truth. so i for one say thank you and please keep the updates coming. dont worry about ranting. its your right.

Forum Member

I have $10.00 on this Friday July 1

Forum Member

Hi Guys
    Cool BC, thanks for the info. I'm the ultimate skeptic but I'm violating my own "live by" rules on this one, it's pins 'n needles time now. In the words of the great Tom Petty,"the waiting is the hardest part". When I told other FD's that we were going for a vehicle, the universal reply was: "Good @#%^ing luck!". With all of of those compassionate people wishing us luck how could we go wrong? NB

MembersZone Subscriber

I am waiting to hear more from the grant support manager. I wrote a grant for a new 2000 gallon water tender with PTO pump along with required equipment to meet NFPA 1901 and EVOC training.

The request was for $175,400 for the total project.

After reading many posts I am only guessing that they will ask us to accept a lower amount.

We received our first letter on June 7th and the 1199a shortly there after. Any idea if we will be one of the first round awards or will it be a few rounds is the big question.

I leave for active duty on August 10th for eighteen months - two years in sunny Iraq and our town and village board meet on July 11th and I would love to be the first to tell them that we got the grant.

It is too bad however I will not be here to help design the truck and to see it being built and delievered. But just knowing that I was a big part in getting the funding for this truck is satisfing in it self as this truck will replace our 1978 ford truck that has over 105,000 miles on it and is in need of some huge repairs.

Any advice would be nice.

BC you seem to know alot about the grant any input???

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I don't see you being asked to take less money, no reason for it, and your amount is under their limit anyway for what you are asking for. You got your questions in the 2nd round of questions, and should be in the 2nd round of awards from what my sources tell me. Those that got them the week before will be first round, etc, etc. Your public announcement should be the 8th.

And 2nd phone call today had someone on the line trying really hard not to say this Friday is Round 1 announcements, and that was just the Support 800 number, not even anyone up in the ranks. So you should get your wish to be able to tell the townspeople the witch is dead. I mean you're getting a new tanker.

BC you seem to know alot about the grant any input???
    Yeah, I know a thing or two. I dabble in the grants program every now and again...

- Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Forum Member

BC
    You just answered one of my unasked questions in that we received the questions in the third week of May with the 1199 follow-up three weeks later. So. According to your intuition we should be in the first round. Do you view this assumption as correct ? (No hard feelings if it doesn't happen, I'm not trying to put you on the spot.)
    FYI: We put in for a quarter mil for an engine and equipment load.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

As long as they got everything and processed it, you should be announced in order of receipt, so by the questions timing I'd say you're up in the first round. That will change as things progress and more and more people are announced and their workload increases dramatically, so the direct relationship between questions and awards will diminish.

Word I got through the grapevine was that they are front loading a lot of the high scoring vehicle grants because they take so long to fully spec, order, and build. The longer they wait to award, the longer it takes to close out the grant, so they're trying to avoid having so many open grants at once. I know a few folks that hadn't even gotten their truck from 2003 AFG and they had already closed out their equipment grant from the 2004 AFG because it only took a month to get everything in and paid for. Major process overhaul to reduce long-term workload. I know it sounds strange to hear about "streamlining government operations" but they really have gotten everything together on this grant program. Some room for improvements, but it's still the most successful one out there.

Forum Member

Yeah, that does seem strange for the feds but this one is at least run with emergency services input. I'm familliar with the feds as I've worked for them for sixteen years now. Compared to some of the debacles I've seen, AFG is a dreamboat program. Really nice to see some tax dollars used with direct benefit.

MembersZone Subscriber

BC79ER ~

I'm new to the forums and very quickly found out that you and others are extremely helpful and a great resource for those who write grants.

I wish I knew of this site prior to writing my first narrative this year.

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.

I am very grateful

RoughRider
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

FH Mag/.com Contributor

My wife is a kindergarten teacher. I'm reminded about sharing on a daily basis.

"Ted Kennedy called for Rumsfeld's resignation. This is interesting. This marks the first time Kennedy has ever come out against anything with rum in it."
    That is pretty dang funny, I almost spit water on my keyboard.

MembersZone Subscriber

I like to share as well.

I refuse to discuss politics on this forum. I agree with you 100% about the seriousness of acquiring funds for the fire service.

Thanks again.....

Any idea when the Dear John letters start to go out?
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

BC...

A little off the subject, but since we are blessed with your knowledge here...has your "little birddie" said anything about 3rd service EMS? I mean, how long we are going to have to wait? I am just nervous...as a 3rd service MUNICIPAL EMS service, we were thankful for the opportunity to apply, but not being able to apply in previous years kind of leaves me on the outside as a "newbie". I haven't had much experience with the waiting game...much less grant writing experience (so as many have said before...THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!!! ) If you hear anything..please let me know...until then I'll be the one at the computer biting my fingernails in anticipation.

Thanks,

Andy

FH Mag/.com Contributor

There won't be a particular round for EMS, they'll be mixed in with the rest of the awards as far as I've heard. Overall EMS apps are competing for a max of 2% of the money, so about $13 million at most for those apps. Considering over 1800 apps went in for $140 million in requests, less than 10% of the apps will get awarded, unfortunately, but after all, this is the FireACT. The general presumption is that EMS services can bill insurance companies to recoup costs, and shouldn't be as hard up for money. Obviously that's far from the truth for nearly every EMS agency I know as Medicare is the worst at paying bills, but that is still one funding step up from fire departments. I see the total amount of money expanding for both the program and EMS agencies in 2006. And by the way, now would be the time to start beaning your Congressional Reps with letters and emails about expanding the funding, not just supporting it.

And take it easy on the fingernails. If you're fingers are sore it's hard to reply to the happy emails.

Forum Member

BC
    Just a note to thank you for the use of your experience. It's nice for those of us who are pretty much in the dark on this. I've got a meeting with my VFD tonight and am on shift for 24 hrs tomorrow so I'll be out of touch. It's going to be a LONG shift until Friday.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information