Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default FDNY and Ferrara

Ferrara collected money (actually I think it was Gov. Foster) after 9/11 to build a truck for New York City. Does anyone from that area know anything about it? Is it in service? What station? How do they like it?

MembersZone Subscriber SmittyBR's Avatar

Capt,

I was looking into that the other night. The "Spirit of Louisiana" was Eng 283 (if I am not mistaken)for a while but now it is used for training at the academy at Randalls Island.
    BRFD Eng. 1

MembersZone Subscriber

Hhhmmmm...I wonder why?

MembersZone Subscriber SmittyBR's Avatar

Actually they built about 5 trucks, the one Engine and some Support vechicles that are still in service. There is a web site that has a photo of every FDNY apparatus in service and some thats out
    BRFD Eng. 1

The rig mentioned above was used byE283 for a while and is no longer in service in the field. Ferrara has built a handful of one off specialized rigs, as well as a few high pressure pumpers, they are currently building 4 satellite units and recently delivered 3 colapse units. The satellites and colapse units being built on Mack chasis.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks

Exclamation

Ferrara and KME = JUNK!!!

Did you ever wonder why the FDNY didn't buy a bunch of these machines???
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

I was under the impression that Ferrara was one of many manufacturers that built trucks for FDNY following 911. Many were donated, some purchased by various funds set up after 911 and some were purchased due to the need for many trucks fast. While I have no first hand knowledge of it, I have heard that many if not all of these trucks found a home much like that of E283: either a support unit or relegated to training only.

Matt

MembersZone Subscriber

Did you ever wonder why the FDNY didn't buy a bunch of these machines???
    Don't put too much thought into this message. Ferrara has been making in roads to NYC for some time now. Contrary to what some guys in the field say about the trucks, on the whole the guys who fix them at the shops say they are well built. And this came straight from the horses mouth! Don't be too surprised if Ferrara comes in with a competive price on the next FDNY pumper bid. I think Seagrave will have some decent competion from Ferrara and American LaJunk!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by fdny99

Don't put too much thought into this message. Ferrara has been making in roads to NYC for some time now. Contrary to what some guys in the field say about the trucks, on the whole the guys who fix them at the shops say they are well built. And this came straight from the horses mouth! Don't be too surprised if Ferrara comes in with a competive price on the next FDNY pumper bid. I think Seagrave will have some decent competion from Ferrara and American LaJunk!
    hhhmmm...I wish they would come down and talk with the guy (FFs) here. I think they would have second thoughts. We have over 30 vehicles...Well I better stop there. I have been warned about bad talking Ferrara by the Webteam.

Forum Member

fdny99:
    I heard that the Ferrara Ultras were kinda cramped in the back and slow (read underpowered) is this true with the guys that have the HP rigs?

BTW how did American LaFrance suddenly become interested in FDNY?

MembersZone Subscriber

If anyone has seen the movie "Hitch" with Will Smith, then you have seen this Ferrara pumper. It is used in a couple of scenes that take place in a firehouse.
    GRC063

MembersZone Subscriber

The HP pumpers use a Detroit Series 60 350 or 375 hp power plant. As for under powered, ALL of our rigs are governed to 58 mph. As for the Ultra being cramped, it is the same dimensions interior as the Seagrave was until Seagrave designed the Commander 2 cab. The Commander 2 is a good design, especially for the crew area in the back. As far as American LaFrance being interested in the FDNY, they have been bidding on the last few bids we have put out. I can also see Pierce making a play with Ferrara and LaFrance for the pumper bid. The city is VERY thorough on the inspection trips, going through the truck page by page of the spec. If it doesn't match the spec 100% it is NOT accpeted. The trips they take are not your usual factory boys night out trips. At factory by 7:30 8 a.m. every day fo the trip, working all day.

Forum Member

How can Pierce and ALF submit a compliant bid if the FDNY only specs fixed cabs? Neither of those companies make a fixed cab chassis with the engine between the rear seats anymore. The only companies that do are Seagrave, Ferrara, KME, HME, and E-One. Wouldn't FDNY have to change its bid specs to a tilt cab for Pierce or ALF to win the bid?

Forum Member

I had the oportunity to check-out the rig your refering to at FDIC ( I believe it's the same truck ). Of all the trucks at the show, that truck would be in the Top 5 of the most impressive.But that's just my opinion and I am an EVT.I crawled all over the trucks at the show, lying on my back to see what's holding these things together. I received some strange looks mind you.Even though I'm not a fan of the fixed cab, the Ultra is all business. Talk about a very well built, tough truck. No cheap plastic, just all metal. Chassis manufacturers these days use way to much plastic in their cabs, both on the exterior and the interior.These are Emergency vehicles, not hi-end family sedans .
    I was told by one of the guys from Ferarra that it was built as a demo and used in numerous shows including Third Watch.

We don't write specs for anyone they build what we spec. or they don't build.

Is it just me or do people like to bash someone making a go of it, if people are buying them, and keep buying them then good for them, and some fleet managers get a budget and a replacement schedule and Seagrave and Pierce might not come in their price range or specs.

If the trucks are crap, they won't go back.......!

Well thats how it works here anyway.

If you go back to a crap builder, then you should probably book yourself in for a supervised holiday.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by AussieFF
    Is it just me or do people like to bash someone making a go of it, if people are buying them, and keep buying them then good for them, and some fleet managers get a budget and a replacement schedule and Seagrave and Pierce might not come in their price range or specs.

If the trucks are crap, they won't go back.......!

Well thats how it works here anyway.

If you go back to a crap builder, then you should probably book yourself in for a supervised holiday.
    Politics. Our last chief went to work for Ferrara after he made sure every truck in the department was replaced with a Ferrara. Our 6 reserve truck(5 ALF engines, 1 ALF ladder) see more fires than our 4 year Ferrara. Oops there I go again on the edge of being banned. Sorry webteam. NOT

If anyone would like to buy an FDNY spec pumper, Ferrara is now taking the rig that was built for the series "Third Watch" around the U.S. The asking price is $398,000.00. It was in my area this past weekend. You can view a couple of photos of the rig at this link. Youngstown Fire Message Board: Ferrara Apparatus

Just curious, but what makes you think a truck made for a TV show is actually anywhere near FDNY specs?

I know for a fact, they used an E-One Hush for lots of the interior cab shots (before it turned into a cop show) due to the lack of engine noise and space. Looks like a FDNY truck, but sure ain't up to their specs.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information