Forum Member

Question MSA Airpacks & Batteries

I recently switched from a department that had new Scott packs to one that has new MSA packs. The old department had no issues with batteries that I can remember. This new department with the MSAs seems to go through batteries all the time and the packs get used less as it is a smaller dept. I know at the old dept I never turned on a Scott pack to have the PASS not turn on at all. This happened recdently with the MSAs at the new dept.Bottomline-- Anyone have and issues with this and/or know how this issue can be resolved? I just can't believe that you would have to replace and check batteries almost daily to keep the packs up to speed.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have had the MSA SCBA with built in PASS for about 3 years, we have had few if any battery issues. It may be the type of batteries your using?

Forum Member

We change the batteries annually. We usually have one or two running low when we swap them out.

Forum Member

wfire32 if u are changing batteries daily then that is a major problem. Spegram might be right change ur battery brand and see if that helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

We just went with new MSA, and I changed all of the batteries in the packs out after about the first six months due to the heavy use they received during our initial training with them. A couple were going dead right at that point, but these were the heaviest use packs that were assigned to our recruit training, and they saw the heaviest use.

I'm hoping we can make it a year for the next change, but even six months won't be so bad.

What brand of battery are you putting in the packs?

We have had the MSA's for 2 years as well and are changing out dead batteries on a weekly basis. It's definitely not due to heavy use and we use quality batteries (duracell, energizer etc....)IMO this is a big problem and a nuisance having to change out 3 different batteries so frequently!

MembersZone Subscriber

We have had the "new" MSA packs for 3 years now. No battery problems like you speak of. Obiviously, the more frequently you turn it on...the quicker the batteries will crap out. No matter what quality they are.

Our MSA rep suggested we not turn it on every day at rig check. But, have a scheduled day(s)for a total system check....Again, if it was used....you obviously want to service it and check the batteries.

Just like Trojan mentioned, the more widgets, watchits, and gizmos you add to these things...the more power it needs, and the quicker the batteries will expire.

Our slower companies can last to the annual battery change. Busiest compaies might have to have theirs changed 2-3 times a year.

fieldseng2

District Chief

Our MSA Rep says you should use the copper top batteries. The problem with the system is that the heads up display in the mask is always on....looking for a signal so it wears out that battery very quickly.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by TrojanHorse
    . Wireless systems by their very design need more power. More power means more batteries, and more maintenance, which means more work. Sounds like you were had by the ole used car salesman. Better luck next time
    Here we go....must be defective. ISI is surely superior to every brand out there. My GAWD!!!! Better call the chief because after our exhaustive comparison test, we liked MSA the best. EGADS!!

Lets see here, 8AAA batteries per pack per year, or I can put two AAA and a 9 volt in my pack, as well as two AAA in my mask every year or so. And once we upgrade to the new alarm/accountability system in our MSA, it will be a single battery powering everything on the pack, plus the two in the facepiece.

You guys changing out batteries weekly, do you have a plan to switch the batteries out on a regular schedule? I'd go NUTS having to change batteries in our packs every time one started going bad.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey guys our neighboring department had the same problem with some of their packs. Seems something was wrong with a batch of IPD's that came out, something about circuitry problem and they got their's replaced. Might be something worth contacting MSA about!!!

Forum Member

We are using Duracell batteries. I exagerated by saying we swap them out daily but for the amount of use they get, we are swapping them too often. They get used maybe once a week on average. The packs shouldn't draw from the batteries when not in use, correct? Maybe in the masks, which if they are looking for a signal all of the time, in my opinion that is a poor design on MSAs part. Anyone that has had this issue, is it something that can be easily fixed?
    Thanks for all of the input.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Contact Your MSA Rep........

After taking delivery of new MSA packs in May, our MSA rep advised us to contact him if we found our packs wearing out batteries very quickly.

I forget the technical details, but basically MSA had an issue with a batch of integrated PASS devices that caused them to drain batteries very quickly. He made it sound like MSA is aware of this problem and is willing to correct it so contact your MSA rep.

FYI, the rep told us that none of the recent packs are experiencing this problem...it was occurring on packs that were manufactured a year or two ago.

As for our packs, we have had no problems so far.

Forum Member

If Iím not mistaken the MSA is a wireless system, hence the problem. Wireless systems by their very design need more power. More power means more batteries, and more maintenance, which means more work. Sounds like you were had by the ole used car salesman. Better luck next time
    Thinking you might be mistaken. Pass alarm has batteried directly in it and it is the movement of the alarm itself that determines activity so there is no remote transmitter elsewhere and the voice amp on the mask has its own batteries so I am not really seeing where wireless is coming into play. Perhaps in the HUD, but we don't have that so I can't comment.

But to answer the question, we had a similar problem with our MSA's (just the integrated PASS, not the voice amp). Like 3 or 4 of them would beep low battery(for those who may not know, yes they beep like a smoke detector, once every few seconds when they are low on juice) in anywhere from 30 to 45 days and some of them(depending on what rig they were on) get minimal use if any. Our service rep came out, swapped out the PASS with a new one and it hasn't been a problem for about 8 months now including a routine battery change. No charge, warrantied repair so I would make a phone call.

On a side note, we follow the Fire Prevention slogan of "Change your clocks, change your batteries" with regards to our SCBA as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are using msa and have a problem with the things eating batteries. The HUD is wireless and any of you guys having them 3 or over yrs will not be experiencing battery problems. The HUD is constantly searching for a signal so even if it is sitting on a shelf not being used it is still using batteries. Basically when the MSA is turned off it is still on. The ISI I like because when it is off it is off.

In regards to the accountability systems no mater whose they are they are going to be battery suckers!!!

Thread Information