Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Safer Grant Amounts

How much money did you ask for in your safer grant?

We applied for the volunteer retention & recruitment program.

$3,000/yr Training reimbursement
    $3,000/yr Tuition reimbursement
    $1,500/yr Physicals, Immunizations, and Fire Academy Tuition
    =========
    $7,500/yr

We applied for funding for 4 years making the total $30,000.

Total of $19,120

$5,000 for recruitment marketing plan.
    $6,500 for retention plan.
    $7,620 for initial training and physicals.

Some of those things were further divided into seperate line items, and were divided over 4 years, but that is the basic overview. Didn't go wild on it, could have asked for more but I felt that we asked for what we really needed.
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

Ours was 88K for the 4 year total. All for recruitment and retention. Purchase gear and mobile radio for 6 recruits per yer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default SAFER

We applied for 1.2 Million, to establish 12 new career firefighter positions to bring our department up to NFPA 1710 Deployment Requirements for Career Fire Departments. The money will be distributed over 4 year period, and our department will pick up the total cost of the Firefighters on the 5th year of the grant period.

Good Luck to everyone,

Stay safe,

Forum Member

Heh, we went all out. We applied for the Recruitment and Retention activity and totaled over $322,000 over 4 years.

Hey, when they say there's no match requirement and no maximum amount to ask for, why not go for the gold?
    IAFF - Fire/EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

Asked for 100,000. One full time guy for 9-5. We really do not have anybody around in the day time, 2/3 of dept live out of town, the chief is the only full time ff/emt. We could use 6 for 24/7 coverage but the town would never fund it.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

LtMedic35 - You may have thought of this already but for others who went for hiring, don't forget an important issue: you have the governing body on the hook for matching money already, don't let them forget it if you don't get the grant.

Just to use y'all as an example:

You asked for 12 people. Matching money for the city/town is 10% in the first year. They just "agreed" to hire 1.2 people next year.

Year 2: 2.4 would be their matching of the grant, so they "agreed" to hire another FF in Year 2.

Year 3: Matching is 50%, so total of 6. 4 more FFs.

Year 4: Matching is 30%, total 8.4, so 2 more FFs in year 4.

Year 5: no matching funds, they're footing the whole bill, so regardless of the grant award or not, they should be hiring 4 additional positions for the total of 12.

If they agree that y'all need more people, which they had to in order to be able to submit the application, they agreed you needed to have 12 more FFs by year 5. Hold them to it. If they try and back out when you explain it as above, they're stuck. The award has nothing to do with the matching money being available to hire FFs as I have it.

Of course if you didn't go for that many people, obviously the math changes. But some lurkers may have. Just a thought that my mind found while it was out wandering around the office since hardly anyone else is here. Just thought I'd continue my sharing ways.

BC79ER... Way ahead of you.....

In fact...consider this. We have put in budget (pending approval) 3 positions in October. The way I read the stipulations (new positions not existing)if the budget is approved prior to the grants being awarded and we happen to get one, then the city would have to hire the additional people....they could not use the money to fill the new positions that "existed" prior to the award. We already meet the stipulation that you must have all existing full time slots filled.

Additionally, if we are denied, we will ask the city to use the money they have committed to fund additional positions,......even if it is one...we will gain a floater,...
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

The statistics are out.

Total federal amount requested: $1,141,853,198

See all the stats: http://www.firegrantsupport.com/appresults.aspx

Recruitment & Retention average per application was $146,711. I thought it would be alot less.

Thread Information