Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default dress for the polygraph

I was just wondering how someone should dress for the polygraph test? The department I am testing for did not give enough time between my physical agility and my polygraph for me to get the day off work (polygraph scheduled after passing the PA). Will I be judged on my appearance at the poly?? The reason I ask is that it might be necessary for me to go directly to the test from work and I work outside in a lumberyard in the 90 plus degrees heat. Should i try to make some special arangements to get off earlier so I can make the 1 hour round trip home and back to clean up??

Clean up and wear a suit. Even if have to towel off and change
    in the parking lot.

MembersZone Subscriber

He is right. Dress for success every step of the interview process. You are always being judged. Take a hit in pay or use your vacation, but by all means, get off early and clean yourself up and dress nice.

Forum Member

Default Yep, Wear the Suit!

This is from my friend Chief Tom Domingues:

Tom had a hand crew test where the interviews were held within minutes after completion of the agility. The agency expected dripping wet and smelly candidates to interview. He took along a suit and a few towels and found a hose bib and washed up as best he could.

Tom put his suit on and went into the interview. As it turned out, the interview panel was surprised that someone would wear a suit for a hand crew job. Needless to say, he got the job offer!

Tom said, “From time to time, I take classes held at various fire agencies. When those agencies are holding interviews and I am taking a class, during breaks, I still see numerous candidates showing up in Levis, Dockers and shirts with no ties. No point in shooting yourself in the foot! The moral of the story is ALWAYS wear a suit!

Wear a suit for any interview, no matter what the title of the position, unless you have been instructed otherwise.”

There’s nothing quite like the look on a candidate’s face when he enters the “holding pen” room where everyone waits to be called for their turn to interview, and realizes that he’s the only one not wearing a suit.

Don’t be that guy.

I was “that guy”!! I prepared so hard for my interview that I totally forgot to ask people what to wear. I just assumed slacks and a dress shirt would work. Wearing a suit never even crossed my mind!
    Turns out, I was the only one in the waiting room not wearing a suit!! Everyone else was so GQ that I felt like I was sitting in a room full of investment bankers. I could tell everyone was looking at me like there was one less candidate to give him or her competition.

To make matters worse, my interview was rocky, and one of the captains proceeded to grill me relentlessly, and guffawed at all my responses. In the following two weeks I was convinced I failed. But I got the call in the end! I start soon.

I wouldn’t recommend that to anyone. It was definitely a psychological disadvantage to walk into a room full of slick candidates and then have to walk into the interview with an air of confidence. It was even worse waiting for the results thinking that I blew it by not wearing a coat and tie.

Reply: Candidates will tell me that I don’t have a suit or the money to by a nice suit for my oral board. My advice. Rent one and look and feel like the professional you want to be.

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section from the Jobs drop down menu just above this posting.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author,
    Becoming A Firefighter,
    Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards, and
    It’s Your Turn in the Hot Seat!

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959
    Last edited by CaptBob; 06-29-2005 at 08:02 PM.

Not only should you do what you have to do to wear that suit to the interview, make sure that it fits, is clean, and conservative in style.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

It may seem like it is just you and that cop (or private examiner) in the room but be aware that other eyes are watching that are judging everything you do.

Forum Member

Default Really

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

Thread Information