Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default A Question for the fathers

I need some sound advice on a developing situation with my 14 year old son.

About 4 months ago, he met a girl on-line. No big deal there, except that she just turned 19. At least she says she is. Ive seen her photo and she could pass for 19. He sent her a photo and she knows he's 14.

I thought it to be harmless at first, but he gave her our number and now she's calling on a daily basis. So a couple red flags have gone up.

Here is the problem. I dont want to just cut her off, as she seems real nice (my wife has talked too her) and my son really enjoys this new found friendship. She says she's a student in Miami, which is like 350 miles away, so Im not worried about her showing up at my door (not yet anyway).

My wife has overheard several of the phone conversations and she said its just "friend talk".

Am I over reacting here? And here I always thought I'd be worried about my 15 year old daughter.

Help me out Bro's.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Default Re: A Question for the fathers

Originally posted by Dave1983
    I need some sound advice on a developing situation with my 14 year old son.

About 4 months ago, he met a girl on-line. No big deal there, except that she just turned 19. At least she says she is. Ive seen her photo and she could pass for 19. He sent her a photo and she knows he's 14.

I thought it to be harmless at first, but he gave her our number and now she's calling on a daily basis. So a couple red flags have gone up.

Here is the problem. I dont want to just cut her off, as she seems real nice (my wife has talked too her) and my son really enjoys this new found friendship. She says she's a student in Miami, which is like 350 miles away, so Im not worried about her showing up at my door (not yet anyway).

My wife has overheard several of the phone conversations and she said its just "friend talk".

Am I over reacting here? And here I always thought I'd be worried about my 15 year old daughter.

Help me out Bro's.
    You have every right to be concerned. The "girl" might just be a sexual predator who isn't female at all. Anyone can cut and paste a pic from a magazine and photo gallery and post it in a chat room.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Dave1983,

You have every right to be "concerned", with the way things are today you can NEVER be to careful. I would keep a very close eye on this. You are correct it very well could be a nice girl wanting to talk to a nice boy. But it could be something else. My advise or suggestion would be deep doing what you are doing, monitoring what your kids are up to. If anything you see sets off any alarms or you get that gut feeling contact a local law enforcment most departments now days have a cyber crimes unit. I want to give you a pat on the back for being concerned for your kids this is a thing that is slowly going away in the world today.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Dave....I concur..... You can never be too careful. Conversations between adults is one thing, but when kids the age of your son are involved.....it is a big difference. Keep a close eye on them both.

In today's world I am not suprised at this though. Kids these days are way more into a lot of things than we were when we were their age.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I agree with the concensus... err on the side of caution. If Mom has talked with this girl, maybe you should too. Between you and Mom, there is lots of experience with people. This isnt sounding quite right, but I think you'll get the drift of it.

Maybe a wee chat with the young lad too, just to remind him of the dangers etc.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

There are so many bad stories about internet-based relationships...you can't be too careful. Talk to him...tell him about the risks...perhaps show him what we've all said. There are too many creeps lurking out there to take chances.

A comparison: If he was old enough...would you see him go in on an attack line without an SCBA? This could be equally dangerous.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Forum Member

We have had similar episodes here. I'd keep a close eye on it just to be safe.
    This whole internet thing is still so odd to me. I remember in high school, they brought us all down to the gym, single file past a computer. It was all roped off so you couldn't get near it, and no stopping allowed, just glance at it as you went by. That thing had to have a phone receiver on it to actually link to the main frame in another town somewhere. It was more or less just a remote key board. So now we warped into the age of wireless laptops, camera phones, and who knows what's next. I think I'm still pretty hip, but it is taking a lot of getting used to. I'm sure my kids would all have a comment on how hip I am.LOL
    I'm telling you I'm a 40 something year old fire chief, but I could be a 14 year old girl for all you know. That's what makes me cringe when my kids get on AIM, and start inviting others into conversations.
    There goes the neighborhood.

Forum Member

I think a 19 girl that wants to be friends with a 14 year old boy is weird to begine with. I'm 20 and right now I find 14 year olds to be extremely annoying, especially the way they talk online....

I'm suspicous of ANY older girl who expresses an interest in my son and quickly send them packing. There's very little reason that an adult would want to "hang" with a teen, something not quite right there.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

This does'nt pass the smell test. This 'girl' could be a 50 year old man. Tell who ever they are to get lost! (been there done that).

She says she's a student in Miami, which is like 350 miles away, so Im not worried about her showing up at my door (not yet anyway).
    As a firefighter, we ALL have friends within the law enforcement community- have one of your pals make a "friendly inquiry" within the school she says she is going to- IF it checks out, then perhaps think about taking it further......But then again, like Gonzo said, it is way to easy to just impersonate someone using photos, etc........Either way Dave, this is a flag raiser. Not saying it isnt true, but def raising flags.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

This is just my two cents, so whatever its worth. I am not a dad, not yet anyway, and I am trying to put myself in your shoes. I agree w/ the general concensus here about the picture and all the sick @*******s in this world. I can't understand why your son is so "into" this friend. Why is he spending so much time talk/chating with a person from the internet? I personally would squash this relationship. There is no reason for it. Your son should be hanging out with his friends for town/school. And what's the story with this 19 yr old. She has resorted to an internet chat for friends??? Now it's a phone call, what is next?

Again, I am not a dad, this is just my perspective. You are by all means entitled to EVERY aspect of your childrens lives. I applaud your concern.
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yep!..................

Couple of Folks have hit on it already. A discreet check to see if she is who she says she is would be a good idea. Most of us in Fire/Rescue are able to find someone in Law Enforcement that could lend a hand with something like this.

AND, A side note to PFire.... I got tied up with an older woman once..... Next Feb. 27, We'll be celebrating our 30th Wedding Anniversary.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

I'm sure i'm stating the obvious, but i think between 10 and 20 each year is worth like 3-5 in maturity and growth. What i mean is that the difference between a 14 and 16 year old is much greater in thinking, etc. than a 22 and 24 year old (IMO). I'm 20 years old myself, and have 3 younger brothers, so i see the difference everyday. I guess my long winded point is that a 19 year old really shouldn't be that interested in a 14 year old...don't women normally like older men anyway?

MembersZone Subscriber RoughRider's Avatar

Dave,

Be concerned!! Your son is a young man with raging hormones??? She 19 and fertile!! You don't know this women or her intentions. They may start out as friends but one slip and he is a daddy. You wouldnt want your son playing football for the Gators as a young dad.

Can you say MARY KAY LETOURNEU ?
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. I knew I could count on my fellow Firefighters.

A couple of my friends work for the Sheriff, so I was thinking of gettig her info and letting one of them run a check. Im not so worried about her being a guy as my wife has talked to her on the phone. Of course, she could be working with some nut to find kids on the net. You never know.

Another thing is he's not a normal 14 year old. He's VERY bright and is more mature then nost kids his age, even more so then his older sister. Thats why this is such a problem for me. My son and I have built a lot of trust and he's very open with me. I would hate to lose that and have him shut me out.

Thanks again!
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Dave
    Sounds like you are a pretty awesome dad and you have some equally awesome kids. And I would have to agree with the consensus here. You have every right to be concerned.

MembersZone Subscriber

What would you do if it was a 19 year old man talking to your 14 year old daughter?

Have you installed a keylogging program on your computer? You can then find out waht they really chat about.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

If his son found out about the key logging program (and its a strong possibility cause he is smart) then that could serve to ruin the trust relationship between the two, so you would have to be very careful with that.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

It happens over and over again. Dave...some have hit on it. I know you can get your deputy friend in the Pinellas S.O. to discretely check out this young lady. Should e able to do it with her name and DOB...... How to get that will be the tricky part.

Not sure if they want to progress to a further step, how you can stop it. Remember....the bigger issue you make of it and try to stop it, the harder some kids will work to "prove" they can do it, despite your direction.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information