Forum Member

Default Phone ccall from Senator?.

Anyone get any phone calls today?.. I kinda had my hopes up for one.. didnt happen..

Forum Member

I haven't heard a peep. Someone asked me today if that always happens and how close to the actual award. Having never baan successful before, I don't know.

District Chief

It does not always happen. It depends on your senator or congressman. I know that Congresswoman Brown-Waite gets a list of any grant awardees in her area prior to them being announced. Not sure if she gets it before the phone calls are made. You can certainly call you local politician and ask.

I had all our local politicians (Congress, Senate and House) write letters or support this time for the Fire Act and SAFER. One happens to be the former chair of the Florida Homeland Security (Paula Dockery).

Every little bit helps. (I guess????)

They have not started announcing yet have they?
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

The pols./senators/congressmen, etc. usually receive a fax or email notice on Wednesdays prior to a Friday announcement. This is so they can call on Thursday and make the announcement PRIOR to Homeland Security's announcements and let them get press releases made if they choose to do so. I have heard of this happening...(not around here in rural NC, mind you...we're small fish in big pond)

I always encourage the departments I work with to actually utilize their contacts within the local pols. offices. That way, they can write the letters of support, then know you have a vested interest in your award, and hopefully will call as soon as they hear something. Good Luck!

Forum Member

Just received this e-mail from our Congressman's office:

"Just spoke with an individual at the Department of Homeland Security, Office of Domestic Preparedness Division, in regard to the status of your grant application. At this time they have not began the process of awarding these grants, however they did inform me that they do notify congressional offices in DC when a grant is awarded to an entity in a Congressman's district. Thus, if the Pattison Volunteer Fire Department is awarded grant dollars Congressman McCaul's DC office should receive the notification first.
    Based on this information, I have already alerted our DC staff to let me know if they receive any notifications about this grant award. If I hear anything further I will let you know."

Definitely doesn't hurt to get your department name in front of the congressman's staff . . . they probably would have skimmed right over us had I not sent them a little note since we are a small town with a whopping population of approx. 400!

Keeping my fingers crossed for next week!

H

Thread Information