Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A VES Scenario

Forum Member

in regards to the picture of the row frame...... if your in the front yard watch out for that air conditioner on the 2nd floor. also if your standing around with nothing to do ladder exposure 4

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDeMarse View Post
    2) The line is not yet charged. Rest assured it will be soon though. If you are searching ANYWHERE as a VES team and you hear the Engine calling for water, it's time to make your way back to your exit point. They are going to be pushing the fire directly toward you and the vent point you just created. Remember, you are to vent and search behind the fire. When the engine gets water, they push it toward you
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this statement brought up some questions. We don't do VES so forgive me if these are stupid questions
    -If the fire is on the first floor is it possible to VES "behind the fire" when the line is flowing if your targeting second floor bedrooms?
    -Do you guys ever VES a room that isn't behind the fire when the line is operating, if so do you any thing different?
    -When preforming VES Do you guys still worry about getting back to your exit point when the hoseline is going into operation if you already have the door closed?
    Last edited by Dibbs12; 06-28-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dibbs12 View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this statement brought up some questions. We don't do VES so forgive me if these are stupid questions
    No such thing, VES is easy, but confussing for some who have never been taught it or even seen it.

-If the fire is on the first floor is it possible to search behind the fire when the line is flowing if your targeting second floor bedrooms?
    Not sure what you are asking here. Are you searching the 1st floor or the second? I'll give it a stab as what you may be asking. If the fire is on the 1st floor and you have VESd the second floor bedroom, then its quite ok to search there when the line is operating. One of the reasons we insure the door is closed to the bedroom is not just to keep smoke and flames from communitcating to where we are searching but the steam too. Was that what you were looking for?

-Do you guys ever search a room that isn't behind the fire when the line is operating, if so do you any thing different?
    The intial area we search is the area up to the fire...and above it. Thats where people are in the most peril. The 1st due truck's inside team will search up to the fire and contain it until the engine is place...that part is called Locate Confine and Extingush....or LCE. So all the areas in the fire apt and floor above are hit first and quickly.

-Do you guys still worry about getting back to your exit point when the hoseline is going into operation if you already have the door closed?
    [/quote]

Not every officer closes the door when they are waiting for the engine...personnlay I think thats dangerous and wrong. I like when the boss shuts it...and if he doesn't I make sure to and communicated that I did. Sometimes we leave the can man at the door if we have to find where the fire is the apt. That way if things go bad, he can call out and we can find our way back. Also, once the line is in place and ready to operate we generally pull back to them so we don't get hit by the stream....on a few occations I have gotten into either a closet or a bathroom and waited for the engine to pass me. Only one did I stay in the same spot but that was because I was trying to make a backroom where I heard a women screaming. I was burned but my burns were thermal and not steam.

Hope that helps, if not,, keep asking!!

Stay Safe bro
    IACOJ Member

Thread Information