Default I need Help In a Fire Career

Hi everyone i search and search online.. but i dont see anywhere on what you have to do to get started in a career for being a full time fireman if anyone could help on telling me what i have to do to start and everything of the such

Thank you so very much

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: I need Help In a Fire Career

Originally posted by Firewannabe
    Hi everyone i search and search online.. but i dont see anywhere on what you have to do to get started in a career for being a full time fireman if anyone could help on telling me what i have to do to start and everything of the such

Thank you so very much
    Start by putting in you application at the FD you wish to get on. An assoicate degree in FS or EMS, also is a good start.

Forum Member

To start, pick a dept you want to focus on. Go to their website and check their employment opportunities. Most dept's will either have that info on their site or they'll link you to their city/county/district's human resources office. Once there you can download a list of all the requirements and automatic disqualifiers.

If they dont hav a websit, look in the phonebook and call the dept's administration office.
    IAFF - Fire/EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Volunteer

My first suggestion is to go talk to your local volunteer dept. These days most volunteer dept's are hurting for people. Or go for a ride along with a paid department, ask some of the crews for their advice, they'll help you out as almost all of us have been in your shoes at one time or another.
    As somebody else said start doing some coursework, and see if you even like this type of work. Depending on where you live, getting you EMT cert may get you somewhere too, as most paid dept's west of the Mississippi, you must be at least an EMT. That's what I did and it worked out brilliantly for me. The military experience, FS degree, and Medic degree didn't hurt either.

Default hehe

thanks alot everyone for your help .. ive contacted my local college about 45 min out from where i live and they are starting fire 102 courses in january and on to and after that i will be taking fire science classes along with my emt somewhere in between that ready and roarin to go yet not quite there i belive

Forum Member

One word, education.... Get your Firefighter 1 , Emt-Basic or better yet in the west EMT- Paramedic..... work towards a degree in Fire Science.... get with an explorer program if you are young enough, put in an application at every fire department you can.... test test test test don't give up! Good luck and work it son! Stay Safe and Keep Low, jack.

Forum Member

ladderwell's idea is a pretty good one actually, it doesn't hurt, before spending the money to get educated to find out if your suited to a career in the fire service
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

Unhappy Fire Science Degree outlook

Can anyone help me? I am looking for other professions in the fire science degree area beside firefighting. I am an 18 year old who has been in the fire department since I was 14 and now am going to college for a bachelorís degree in Fire Science. I am having second thought on become a paid firefighter for life. What else can I do with my degree? I will always be a volunteer, but I have to think about down the road with my family that I hope to have? Please help! Pease list job opportunities along with their description.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MC1CP33
    Can anyone help me? I am looking for other professions in the fire science degree area beside firefighting. I am an 18 year old who has been in the fire department since I was 14 and now am going to college for a bachelorís degree in Fire Science. I am having second thought on become a paid firefighter for life. What else can I do with my degree? I will always be a volunteer, but I have to think about down the road with my family that I hope to have? Please help! Pease list job opportunities along with their description.
    You could go into home inspections. This is an inspection required by most insruance and mortage companies pre-purchase. The knowledge you obtain would help you as an Officer in you fire dept and you could work for yourself making your time flexible. There are many job like that but If you never used it with your choosen profession the Vol Dept you belong to would benifit greatly. Sorry to here you don't want to be a career FF but I glad to hear you will remain in the service as a volunteer. Good luck and be safe brother.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am one of the lucky ones that got in with a 4 year degree, some fire cert's and EMT. The problem is, that many dept's are starting to hire only paramedics. Do your research, find a place you think you may want to work, and go from there. Getting your paramedic license will just open up more options

Forum Member

Im about to graduate high school... and my brother in law and his dad are firefighters and occasionally i go with them on calls and i love being out there... So i was wondering what all i needed to do to become a Full time FF... I was thinking about going to the fire academy but i dont kno wat else i need to do...

FossilMedic

Default Couple of links

So you want a job as a municipal firefighter:

http://www.nvcc.edu/home/mward/hmtl%...%20PROCESS.htm

Description of the variety of four year "fire science" degrees:

http://www.nvcc.edu/home/mward/hmtl%...%20degrees.htm

Thread Information