Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default The AFG Awards Announcement

Well, it seems that DHS has left most of us still in the dark again. Here it is July 1st and after repeatedley telling us that the awards would be announced before the end of June; they have again dispelled the rumor that "truth and accuracy" are prevalant in our government.

What can we say other than...sorry folks. We have tried to use their own system to promote truth and accurate information, by going directly to the sources at DHS that they have directed us to, only to
    be left with another lie.

It is simply amazing that the US military preaches, day in and day out, to dispel rumours by putting the facts forward or going directly to the horses mouth. As a public safety administrator, for more than 25 years, I preached that philosophy and practiced what I preached, to keep the rumour mills under control. It is really too bad that our own goverment does not practice what it preaches.

To all those that have put their faith in what information I, and others, have posted and who try to be certain is accurate, I apologize.

Sooner or later, they will announce the winners and everyone can start breathing sighs of relief. I sympathize with your predicament. Stay tuned, when we know, you will be the first to know as well!

Default help desk is not very helpful today!

As of this psoting I have been on hold for over 20 minutes to the help desk at firegrantsupport.com. Don't even waste your breath or time today folks, they are getting slammed!

It ain't happening today!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It's a little more involved with that. Seems another branch of the government is dragging their feet on authorizing some things, so the announcements have to be on hold.

The communications issues seem to be the same ones that affect any organization: the top, middle, and bottom of the ladder all have different information, or at least members of each level fall victim to the same rumors that we do and disseminate them as facts, leading us to believe them since they are supposed to be the authorities.

They would love to have announced them already, but being as this program is governed by a law, not by regulation (i.e. bendable), they can't move forward with the awards until all of the proper steps have been authorized and taken. Someone else is holding up the gravy train.

So head on over to the other forums and have a drink while you wait, I posted several.

Forum Member

Originally posted by BC79er
    It's a little more involved with that. Seems another branch of the government is dragging their feet on authorizing some things, so the announcements have to be on hold.

The communications issues seem to be the same ones that affect any organization: the top, middle, and bottom of the ladder all have different information, or at least members of each level fall victim to the same rumors that we do and disseminate them as facts, leading us to believe them since they are supposed to be the authorities.

They would love to have announced them already, but being as this program is governed by a law, not by regulation (i.e. bendable), they can't move forward with the awards until all of the proper steps have been authorized and taken. Someone else is holding up the gravy train.

So head on over to the other forums and have a drink while you wait, I posted several.
    BC79er has a really good point. AFG is trying to communicate, as best they can, with the grant applicants. I think they do an outstanding job.

It's always tough to make sure you meet deadlines when you have to depend on several other agencies/departments to meet those goals.

We need to take into consideration that the Feds are, if not more, over-worked than the rest of us. Trying to nail down an optimistic date is difficult...and I would rather work with that timeline, and have a short delay, than to be told 'September-ish' and be surprised in mid-July...and not be prepared.

We all work very hard to make sure we do a good job and we need to remember the grant folks, as well as others, are in the same boat.

I try to put myself in their shoes...how would I feel if I indicated a deadline and didn't hit it?...and it wasn't my fault. Not good. Give them just a little benefit of the doubt. It's a fantastic program and we are all VERY lucky to be eligable to apply. I know our little department in Southern Indiana is grateful!

Best,
    --
    e.g.h.
    Matt

Forum Member

I've been forced to learn patience, much against my nature. If it happens and we end up with a new custom pumper sitting in our barn then it'll all be worth it. Until the $$$ shows up in the account it's all speculation. Pardon my skepticism, it comes from years of practice.

"Nobody needs a ladder truck, they only exist for the news cameras. All you really need are Engines and patience."
    NB

Getting up at 4:00AM and not finding the list was pretty disheartening, and I may have sounded a little bit acerbic in my intitial comments but, Brian is right as well. It is their level of communication I am upset at, and the fact that another of the programs I work with for LEAs was also delayed.

I am sorry if I seem a little critical but, in this day and age of "one click of the mouse" they could do a better job at communicating, when there is a delay. I don't think any of them can say that at C.O.B. yesterday, that they did not already know that the awards were going to be delayed.

Having been a federal and local government employee for 30 years I understand that bureaucratic delays can and do occur when the right foot and the left foot get out of cadence.

It is the ineptness that I hate and that they have come to expect of themselves that I abhor. I am reminded of a saying I had placed on the full length mirror that we had to walk by in my station everyday for 25 years. It said " Professionalism through Excellence". All I am asking for is that someone take the two minutes to go to their website and post a timely update for all.

Thread Information