Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question New Fire Station Plans

Does anyone have building plans for a 4 Bay station with meeting room and kitchen they would share?
    We are building a new station and looking for building plans 40x60 bay area with additional meeting room, Kitchen and Bathrooms with showers for a volunteer station.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Check this thread out, you might find what you're looking for ...

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=61307
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Would this help?

www.firestationdesigns.com

We are hoping to break ground in September with a new station, I was unable attach the floor plans as the file was too large. Please feel free to email me and I will forward them to you.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Lots of Questions..............

Many of us who post here would be happy to offer some tips as well as plans etc. Couple of things of interest to me, that would make a difference in advice offered, (and plans too) 1. What part of the Country are you in? 2. What's your call volume? 3. Do you anticipate a lot of growth in the coming years? 4. Do you anticipate Operational Changes in the near future? You throw out some more info on your requirements/plans, and we'll do what we can to help. There are a number of us who have recently "been there, done that" with new station construction.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Smile

Thanks for everyone's input. It makes it so much easier when you follow suggestions from people that have been there and know what they would do again or different.
    We are in Ky.
    Estimate this years calls to be around 300
    Planning for growth in next few years Due to New Interstate
    No operational changes We run Fire, rescue, first response for EMS
    We are located in a rural community with dues and fundraisers for funding.
    Looking for plans and ideas for our new building.
    I noticed on one post the bay heating was in the floor. Is this effective or would radiant heat be better.
    This is our first new fire station and welcome any Ideas.

I have some sample layouts I made using CAD for our new station two, which will hold the existing station 2's trucks plus two more. I based it off of a 40x60 building, with the exact dimensions of trucks with clearances between walls, with spare space, and so forth... Sorry for the small size and poor quality. If you'll give me an email address I can send the full size picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

another

one of the above, without dimensions.

Last one for now. I made several more, of those there was one that everybody loved. As soon as I get ahold of a digital camera or scanner i'll scan those in also.

Forum Member

The numbered items are your trucks? With bathrooms in the middle?\
    They look great I would like to have a bigger copy if you could send me one.
    Thanks

Yes, the numbered items are trucks, the "BT" is the boat. The rooms at the back would be batroom/meeting room/radio room and storage.

If you PM me an email address, I will send you the full size version.

Suggestions-

Here are some of the things I have found in the past
    that sould have been thought of ahead of time.

-Drive through. If possible, I would make it a drive through
    station. Much easier and safer operation.

-Room to grow. Some stations were built with volunteers in
    mind and not for possible future personnel. I know its might
    be a sore subject, but get the extra room now for growth and
    storage vs. regretting it in the future.

-Bou

Ample closet space, ample closet space, ample closet space................... Did I mention to have ample closet space? As in, design what you think you need, and the DOUBLE the closet space??? LOL!! SERIOUSLY!

-Design the kitchen/dayroom/living spaces with functionality in mind- even if you dont normally have bunk in crews, dont forget about natural disasters- snowstorms, etc.....You never know when you will have crews bunking in and making meals, storing food in the HUGE COMMERCIAL SIZED fridge that you should spec.....

-The radiant slab heat has worked beautifully for us

-Dont forget the apparatus exhaust removal system.

-Something that we spec'd and have used extensively is an SCBA wash/personnel decon station in the bays- a wide shower stall with short walls for guys to rinse off in after coming back from in incident.

-Heavier electrical service for your engineer's room- for any tools they may be using such as a drill press, etc.

And last, but not least, and the most important.....SPRINKLER THE BUILDING, NOT THE FRONT LAWN!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Remember, these are just sample layouts of rooms, spare space, and how well the trucks fit. These do not show closet space, decon shower, and so on. Here is one I did because the asst. chief wanted to go with the building long-ways with bay doors on the opposite ends. After seing the layout he did not like it.

Here is the one we all pretty much decided we liked the best. This design uses 4 individual doors instead of two double doors. We choose not to put doors on the backside due to A: Cost B: You'd lose any usable space along that back wall, such as a hose or gear rack. The 8' x 8' room in the left corner is a Decon shower.

Forum Member

Thanks I like the last one also. I hope to begin our building in the next month or so.

Our new station plans are not available on our website:
    www.southhavenfire.com

Our new station plans are NOW available on our website:
    www.southhavenfire.com

Image way to large to display here (1280X960 @ 494kb) so Click Here for Picture

Slightly off what you're looking for but because if this building I have lot's of what NOT to do items.

Background - Volunteer EMS agency that handles roughly 300-350 Pt. contacts per year on average (149 for first half of '05).

Bay area is 3 drive through bays with storage closets on left (as viewed from picture). Large middle closet also houses bay area furnace) No A/C in bay area.
    Crew area on right has the following:
    Separate Heat Pump A/C units & thermostats for Upstairs & Down.

Downstairs
    Average SFD sized kitchen
    Supply Closet / Pantry
    Three Half bath restrooms (Mens, Womens, and Uni-Sex Handicapped)
    Utility closet (also houses 1st floor water heater & furnace)
    Training office / copier room
    Main Meeting room w/ training closet.

Upstairs
    Day room w/ computer counter & small dining area.
    Half Bath restroom.
    Small meeting room for Auxiliary w/ closet.
    Laundry Room
    Equipment Storage room (also houses water heater & furnace for upstairs)
    Captains (Officers) Office
    Mens bunk room w/ small closet & 3 Twin bunks and full Residential style Bathroom.
    Womens bunk room w walk in closet & 3 Twin bunks and full Residential style Bathroom.

Built in 1996 for roughly $250k - blueprints are long gone but I can sketch the floor plan (not to scale) if your interested. If you really need dimensions I can probably get them but it will be a little harder as I'm no longer active here.

Based on our own experiences going from an agency that responded from home to all calls to some part time bunking in, here are some things to consider.

Most importantly of anything we learned the hard way. Design your station to fit the property it's being built on. Don't design a station and then try to make it fit. Sounds funny and dumb I know but it happened. That's why we have a "Main Entrance" on the side farthest away from the parking area and we also had to go back & purchase additional property to cut back the embankment to meet the highway departments line of sight requirements for our entrance/exit.

Crew Area:
    - Build bunk rooms now. It's easier and cheaper to do it now than having to add them on later. Tis better to have and not need . . .
    - Use drop ceilings and not drywall / finished ceilings. You can't go back and add new things w/o major work otherwise.
    - If fire code allows, leave extra conduit between floors and into attic / crawl spaces for future cable runs.
    - Put in a doorbell. Sounds simple but easily overlooked
    - Put in a station alerting system or at least install speakers & pull wiring now.
    - Pull telephone & cable TV cable to every room now even if you don't use it.
    - Consider possible needs for computer network - pull wiring now. (Wireless is also nice but hard to get signal through and concrete dividing walls plus possible security issues it raises)
    - Talk with your contractor about using CAT 5 wiring for all computer & telephone pulls. It's fairly cheap & gives you additional capacity because all the "pairs" aren't used.
    - Put in double outlets everywhere. You'd be amazed at how many pager & cell phone chargers you'll have and no place to plug them in. If you can't do ALL outlets this way, then at least do the kitchen, Day Room, and bunk rooms.
    - Put an outlet directly beside every phone jack (cordless phones, faxes, answering systems, etc.)
    - Put your Kitchen Outlets on separate circuits. (Ours are all on 1 breaker and we have overloading problems when we do big fund raiser meals)
    - Kitchen - go commercial grade everything. It will hold up better over the years. Also go large. Never enough space, esp. if you plan on doing any type of fundraiser that uses the kitchen.
    - Flooring - stay away from carpet whenever possible. Use any type of durable hard flooring and then put down throw rugs. They are easier & cheaper than carpet to clean and replace.

Bay Area:
    - Be sure to put a phone & station alerting speaker here.
    - Put the overhead cord reels & wall outlets on separate circuits. Consider making the door openers a separate circuit as well.
    - Use recess lighting fixtures over the area between the bays to illuminate the apparatus floor at night so you won't have to turn on the full lighting. Consider adding a timer, motion detector, or light sensor to this circuit so the lights are not on all the time.
    - Build one of your bays as a wash bay - you'll be glad you did come cold weather.
    - Leave enough room between bays to open the apparatus doors and/or pull out any drawers, trays, etc.
    - Build a decon area in the bay w/ a BIG wash tub style sink.
    - If you plan on hosting fund raising events in the warmer months you can consider a/c for the bay area.
    - Powered door openers are a must for these size doors. Go ahead and spring for the extra $$ to get remotes for them as well.
    - Give careful consideration as to where you locate the manual door controls. I suggest putting them beside the door you will most likely enter your bay area from your day room / crew area.

General:
    - Put in a back-up generator now. If you can't swing the funds for the generator, then at least make provisions for it. That includes fuel source considerations and conduit for wiring from the generator pad to the distribution box(es).
    - If you have a municipal water supply then by all means go sprinklered.
    - At the minimum put in a smoke/fire alarm system that will notify an alarm company or your Central dispatch. DO NOT just use smoke detectors!!
    - Install at least 1 type of keyless entry device be it a simplex style lock on a door or a keypad opener for one of the bay doors.

That's all I can come up with off the cuff, I'm sure I'll come up with more as the days go by.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Thread Information