Thread: More Power

Forum Member

Default More Power

I just put a Power Edge Juice on my Duramax, WOW
    its got 4 power levels I set it on #2 and its awesome
    I have got to set it on level 4 and give it a spin.
    Anyone else done anything to their diesel to get
    more power?
    level 1 40 hp 100'# of torque
    2 60 120
    3 75 170
    4 90 200

thats alot of extry ponies

Forum Member

Holy shat batman. I just tried level 4, they were not
    kidding literaly pushes you back in the seat when you
    punch it. Had my thrill then put it back to level 2 before
    I wore the back tires off.

Forum Member

The Duramaximizer did a nice job on mine. I never heard of that one you used. What do they get for that one? Mine was 600 a couple years ago, and I thought it was over priced untill my first hole shot.
    There goes the neighborhood.

Forum Member

That's decent power for an Isuzu! Which transmission do you have? Another note, make sure that your Edge module will reprogram the transmission, otherwise you'll be replacing it soon. I'm a firm believer that working diesels are Inlines, therefore there shall be a Cummins in my yard, before too long. The easiest power to get out of a diesel is to just open it up. Better intake, larger plumbing, larger intercooler with better efficiency, smoother bends in the plumbing and so on. As for the discharge side, a larger downpipe will help it breathe better and also lower your EGT's.

I probably should mention this right now, that if you plan on doing ANY, and I mean ANY, modifications to any diesel, there are 2 (or 3 depending on your transmission) things that you should do. 1: EGT Gauge in the cab, or on the A pillar. 2: A Boost gauge under the EGT gauge. 3: A transmission temperature gauge if you have an automatic. If you have an automatic I would also recommend a larger transmission cooler. An EGT gauge will be your best friend. It will save you from causing a LOT of damage, and also you can see when your turbo is cool enough for shut-down after hard work. If EGT gets too high you can see how much boost you are running, and possibly even back off the pedal and lower the boost to cool it down a bit.

And for my last comment, do NOT get ANYTHING from Banks!

Forum Member

I have the allison automatic, with factory temp gauge. It runs at 150 degrees most times, so no problem there. I don't have the exhaust gas temp gauge.
    That cummins has always been way to loud for me, but we had a new one in my shop last week, and they have really quieted them down. It's now at least as quite as the duramax, if not quieter.

Back to ezhaust gas temp. We recently got 2 new 2005 pumpers, with the Cat C7. The first night time pumping we did, you could see the turbo, and part of the exhaust manifold glowing red. Both trucks. I shut it down, and got in touch with the dealer. They, and Cat have told us that this is perfectly fine, and don't worry about a thing.
    Not being a diesel authority, I have to take their word for it, but it just does not sound right. All I can think is that if the case is that hot, what kind of punishment are the blades going through. You can't see that it's red hot in the day light, and engine temp is 180 to 200. Any opinions on this?

Forum Member

I've seen turbos turn white, i've never looked at ours while pumping at night, but i have looked at them through the TIC during the daytime. I'm not sure as to what material the C7 turbo is made out of, but i'd imagine it's not cast... lol.

As to the noisyness of a diesel... What is the point in having a quiet diesel? That's one that just baffles me every time

Forum Member

By contrast, what is the point of having a loud one? A loud anything is not as desirable as a quiet one. IMO As long as they don't take away power to reduce noise, it's a bonus. I remember putting loud exhaust on my hotrods, but now, when I get out of work, and I'm tired and soaked with sweat, I prefer to have a nice quiet relaxing ride home.

When I got a diesel pickup, it wasn't because I thought I had to have a diesel. It was because I didn't like any of the gas motors that were being offered at the time, and the Duramax just happened to be quiet enough for my liking. If it had been a cummins, I would not have been able to stand the racket, and would have gone to another brand of truck.

Nothing against cummins, I'm sure they're a good motor, just too loud for me.
    Last edited by Rossco; 07-02-2005 at 10:42 PM.

Forum Member

I dunno Rossco, maybe it's just the youth talking, but for me, the louder the better! When I get a diesel, the pipes are definitely gonna be opened up to make it growl louder, lol. For me, one of the main points in having a diesel is the menacing sound...

Forum Member

I know what you mean. As I said, there was a time when I wanted more noise. Music, motors, you name it, and I liked it loud. Every now and then, I still get in a mood like that. My wife just shakes her head, and says turn that down. "What?, I can't hear you, the music is very loud". The youth is still there a little.

I still like my fireworks loud. I hope you all had a safe and happy 4th.

Forum Member

I know somewhat what you mean. I don't listen to music too loud, and there's not very many things I like loud. Two things I hate loud are rap and ricers. The things I love loud are: Jake Brake, Q, Grovers, any small block or big block engine with a deacent cam pattern, and last but definetly not least... diesels. Nothing beats the sound of an inline with a turbo spooling in the background.

And speaking of more power, this is some POWER: http://www.ntpapull.com/Videoclips/Greg%20Hibbits-1.wmv

Greg Hibbit's "Pro hibbitted" I believe he's running a BUILT KT-600 Cummins. Talk about POWER!
    Last edited by HFRH28; 07-04-2005 at 03:28 PM.

Forum Member

Oh, I guess he has some power. Cool.

Thread Information