Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Hillsborough County--Station 39 opens with ceremony

Tampa Tribune

Firehouse Has Grand Opening
    By ELIZABETH LEE BROWN ebrown@tampatrib.com
    Published: Jun 4, 2005

TOWN 'N COUNTRY - County leaders celebrated the grand opening of the new Tampa Shores fire station this week.

The crew of Station 39 at 7371 Montague St. moved into the $1.2 million building in May. The station is relieving some of the emergency response calls from stations in Town 'N Country and Westchase.

"We put these stations in based upon the call volume of the area," said Ray Yeakley, spokesman for Hillsborough County Fire Rescue.

The 6,400-square-foot station is necessary for the county to meet its goal of responding to calls within five minutes 90 percent of the time.

"The residents per capita in Town 'N Country is extremely high so we have a large call volume," he said. "They all will help each other in the amount of calls in that area."

The location is the latest in a series of planned stations designed to meet growing populations while improving response times in northwest Hillsborough.

New stations on Ehrlich Road in Carrollwood, on Chapman Road in Lutz and Mapledale Boulevard in Northdale are set to open next year.

The building on Montague houses a paramedic engine with a crew of three firefighters. It does not have an ambulance.

Twenty of the county's 39 fire stations have an ambulance based at the firehouse. The county plans to add an ambulance to a Town 'N Country station this year, Yeakley said.

The firehouse is near Alonso High School, where 17-year-old baseball player Matt Miulli collapsed and died while running on the track earlier this year. Miulli had a congenital heart defect.

Fire crews were on the scene within six minutes, but an ambulance did not arrive for 20 minutes, Yeakley said.

If the new station had been open, Yeakley said, it probably would not have made a difference in that case, but it does highlight the need for more stations to cut down response times.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Default More Stations to follow

Tampa Tribune

2 Fire Stations Set For Lutz
    By ELIZABETH LEE BROWN ebrown@tampatrib.com
    Published: Jun 23, 2005

LUTZ - Residents are getting two new fire stations over the next two years. Hillsborough County commissioners last week approved spending $255,000 to buy property on the southwest corner of Livingston Avenue and Irene Street to build a new firehouse.

The one-acre parcel is one block north of Bearss Avenue and designed to reduce emergency response times in the urban neighborhoods of Fletcher Avenue, the University of South Florida area and Sinclair Hills.

Station 44, set to open in 2007, will have a paramedic engine.

An ambulance is not planned, but that may change as the department opens new stations and assesses the needs, said Ray Yeakley, spokesman for Hillsborough County Fire Rescue.

The Bearss location is the latest in a series of planned firehouses designed to meet growing populations while improving response times in northwest Hillsborough.

Another Lutz station on Chapman Road is set to open next year, as well as new stations on Ehrlich Road in Carrollwood and Mapledale Boulevard in Northdale.

In the Lake Magdalene area, fire officials are looking for a site for a proposed station that would open in 2007. Residents complained about the noise and traffic a firehouse would bring to Ola Avenue. Others opposed the initial site and fought to preserve a park and the historic Hamner Fire Tower.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information