Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Imagine hearing this over the PA ... BRACE FOR IMPACT, BRACE FOR IMPACT!

The news yesterday at the time indicated, as the following article doesn't, that the message came over the PA system, "BRACE FOR IMPACT, BRACE FOR IMPACT, SIT DOWN AND HANG ON, BRACE FOR IMPACT!!!"

How freakin' scary would THAT be??? Been there done that but without any warning. One of the cruise ships I used to work on side-swiped the pier when we were docking in West Palm Beach, ended up with a big hole in the side of the ship.

It truly is a miracle nobody was hurt, let alone killed yesterday.

Yesterday's news (radio & print - I didn't watch TV news) and interviews with witnesses (not on the ferry) made it seem much more dramatic. People in the marina were running for their lives.

Oh, and this happened at the beginning of the 2nd busiest long weekend of the year ...

I also heard yesterday that the problem wasn't with the steering, that it was something in the engine room, possibly a problem with the clutches.

Ferry smashes into marina
    Captain's quick thinking limits damage

Chad Skelton and Doug Ward
    CanWest News Service

July 1, 2005

CREDIT: Ward Perrin, CanWest News
    Damaged and destroyed pleasure craft surround the Queen of Oak Bay after the ferry lost power and plowed into a marina next to the B.C. Ferries dock at Horseshoe Bay.

A dramatic accident at Horseshoe Bay Thursday in which a ferry apparently lost power and plowed into a marina could have been far worse had it not been for the quick thinking of the ferry's captain, according to a coast guard official.

"If he had slammed right into the big dock, there would have been an awful lot of damage," said Terry Tebb, assistant commissioner of the coast guard. "Obviously, he did some fancy manoeuvring to minimize the damage and that's how he ended up where he is now."

B.C. Ferries' 7,000-tonne Queen of Oak Bay collided with Sewell's Marina around 10:10 a.m. Thursday and ran aground -- destroying several pleasure boats, including about half a dozen that sank to the bottom of the bay, and stranding 544 passengers on board for more than six hours.

There were no injuries.

The cause of the collision is still under investigation by both Transport Canada and the Transportation Safety Board. But initial reports suggest the vessel lost engine power as it neared the terminal.

"Typically when they come in, they shift into reverse in order to slow down," said Tebb.

However, with the reverse thrusters disabled, said Tebb, the ferry was in danger of slamming into the terminal, with disastrous consequences for both passengers on board and those on shore.

"Obviously, they did an avoidance to not slam right into the dock," he said.

Witnesses said the ferry began sounding its horn repeatedly while it was still several hundred metres from the terminal -- leading many to believe at first that another boat was in its way.

"It was like somebody with a car horn just holding it down," said Sara Brocklehurst, who was getting an ice cream cone while she waited for the ferry.

After two or three minutes of sounding its horn, the ferry slowly crashed past the marina's breakwater and then into several rows of boats.

"Part of me was saying, 'He'll stop before the boats,"' said Brocklehurst. "But he actually came right into them and started crushing them like boxes."

While no one on the ferry was injured, its passengers were stranded for most of the day -- unable to leave the ferry while divers searched the waters below to ensure no one was trapped underneath.

Finally, around 5 p.m., the ferry was towed to its berth and passengers were allowed to depart. Operations at the terminal were expected to resume at 6 p.m. and B.C. Ferries added extra sailings on several routes to ease the congestion.

Susan Tapp of Courtenay said ferry officials gave passengers a five-minute warning to "sit down and brace ourselves and he (the captain) held that whistle down the whole time we were coming in." Tapp said she saw the ferry "take out" a few boats but "we didn't feel anything."

Bob Walker, who was waiting to board the ferry, said the vessel simply rolled over many of the large sailboats in its path.

"The masts just snapped over like twigs as it came in," he said.

Tracey Morettin, who was on the beach with her children, said passengers on the ferry's car decks appeared to realize something was wrong and were yelling at people in the marina to get out of the way.

The crash took place during one of the busiest weekends of the year for B.C. Ferries and resulted in the cancellation of several sailings out of Horseshoe Bay and congestion on other routes.

B.C. Ferries president David Hahn said the company will do its best to add extra sailings over the weekend to make up for having one of its vessels out of commission, but admitted things will be tough for travellers.

"This is obviously the worst possible timing," he said. "It's a day that will, quite frankly, ruin some people's weekends. I don't think there's any way around that."

Hahn said the Queen of Oak Bay will be placed in dry dock and inspected to try to determine what happened.

The ferry, which was built in 1981, was put back into service just 17 days ago after undergoing a $35-million refit of its lifesaving equipment, passenger accommodations and engine.

However, Hahn said Thursday there is no indication that the refit had anything to do with Thursday's collision.

"There was work done on a number of issues in the engine room but I can't correlate any of that to what happened today," he said.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2005
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 07-01-2005 at 08:09 PM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

CREDIT: Ward Perrin, CanWest News
    Damaged and destroyed pleasure craft surround the Queen of Oak Bay after the ferry lost power and plowed into a marina next to the B.C. Ferries dock at Horseshoe Bay.

For the picture in the first post.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Big ferry went eerily silent as it entered bay

Darah Hansen and Doug Ward
    CanWest News Service

July 1, 2005

CREDIT: Ward Perrin, CanWest News Service
    Aerial view shows the damage caused when the Queen of Oak Bay crashed into the marina after it lost power as it approached the busy Horseshoe Bay terminal.

Just after 10 a.m. Thursday, as the Queen of Oak Bay turned into Horseshoe Bay and passengers began anticipating their arrival, the large ferry coming from Nanaimo went strangely quiet.

"Everything just died," recalled passenger Heidi Williams.

"You didn't hear anything. We thought we were just coasting in." Williams, 33, and her husband Bill Anderson, 34, had been standing on the upper passenger deck, waiting with dozens of other foot passengers when suddenly ferry employees -- including cashiers and kitchen staff -- began blocking doorways and telling everybody to sit down and brace themselves.

The Richmond couple, who had just attended their niece's high school graduation on Vancouver Island, watched in disbelief as the boat headed not into the berth but into Sewell's Marina.

"We watched the masts of the boats crushed. It was unbelievable because you don't see that every day. I was hoping they would turn direction but we didn't," said Williams.

Vancouver resident Susan DuMoulin was also in the front cabin when the accident occurred. She said she initially thought the boat was trying to avoid a deadhead in the water.

"Then I saw we weren't going into the terminal at all, we were going into the marina. We just went right over these sail boats like they were toothpicks," she said.

"I've never seen anything like this before. It was awful."

Anderson said you could hear people collectively inhale as the ship began plowing through the boats.

"You know you see it, but you don't believe it. Nobody [could] fathom what was happening," he said.

DuMoulin said she was afraid the ferry wasn't going to stop.

"I mean, we were going at quite a clip. I thought we were just going to keep going right into the land."

Instead, the ship ran aground and smoothly came to a stop.

For the next 25 minutes, passengers crowded around the windows, said Bonnie McGlynn, praying no one had been hurt or killed.

"We were just horrified that there was someone in the boats underneath us," said McGlynn, who had been on her way to Vancouver for a day of shopping before returning home to Nanaimo.

Anderson said the tension onboard the ship quickly eased when word came no one had been injured.

"After we found that out, then it all becomes kind of like a joke," he said.

Anderson said that ferry staff told passengers afterward that the ship simply lost power. He said the captain made the right choice about where to steer.

"I don't know if the captain had any control of steering. But, if he did, I'd have to say the captain did a great job because there could have been fatalities or a lot of injuries if he'd actually hit the berth."

Anderson said that passengers heard varying reports through the day about when they would finally dock.

"They made it sound like it would be an hour. Then we heard it be three hours. We were hearing speculation about how many boats were under us.

"I mean there were a million stories flying around the boat."

Williams said the passengers didn't feel any impact from the collision.

"As we hit that first boat everybody was like: 'Oh, I don't feel anything.' But we were all bracing ourselves wondering where it was going to stop."

Big ferry went eerily silent as it entered bay

The day passed slowly with passengers "waiting and waiting and waiting," said Williams. She said that "a lot of people got sunburnt."

Some passengers missed scheduled surgeries, she added.

TIMELINE ON WORST FERRY ACCIDENTS:

July 2003 -- Four passengers suffered minor injuries when the Spirit of Vancouver Island made collided with its dock at Swartz Bay. The accident caused tens of thousands of dollars of damage to the dock and the ship.

May 2003 -- The Queen of Surrey was taken out of service for two months after an engine fire. No one was injured, but 318 people were stranded.

September 2000 -- Two Americans were killed when their 10-metre yacht collided with the Spirit of Vancouver Island near Swartz Bay.

August 1992 -- A mother and her two daughters died when their van plunged off a ferry loading ramp at Nanaimo.

March 1992 -- The Queen of Alberni collided with a Japanese coal carrier in thick fog off Tsawwassen. Eighteen people were taken to hospital.

February 1992 -- The Queen of Saanich collided in the fog with a catamaran operated by Royal Sealink Express, injuring 23 people.

December 1991 -- The Howe Sound Queen collided with a dock Horseshoe Bay. Six passengers were taken to hospital.

June 1989 -- The Queen of Alberni crashed into a dock at Departure Bay, injuring six passengers.

August 1985 -- The Queen of Cowichan crashed into a family's pleasure boat off Bowen Island, killing a mother and her two sons.

October 1984 -- The Queen of Surrey smashed into the side of the Horseshoe Bay dock, causing $200,000 in damage to the dock.

August 1982 -- The Queen of Prince Rupert was heavily damaged when it ran aground near Bella Bella.

August 1979 -- The Queen of Alberni ran aground in Active Pass. There were no injuries, but there was extensive damage to trucks and automobiles on board.

October 1971 -- A car carrying an elderly couple plunged off the Queen of New Westminster at Departure Bay when the ferry lurched from the ramp while being unloaded. The occupants of the car were saved by two bystanders.

August 1970 -- A heavily loaded Russian freighter sliced into the side of the Queen of Victoria, killing three people. The accident happened in Active Pass.

Ran with fact box "Timeline on Worst Ferry Accidents" which has been appended to the story.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2005

CREDIT: Ward Perrin, CanWest News Service
    Aerial view shows the damage caused when the Queen of Oak Bay crashed into the marina after it lost power as it approached the busy Horseshoe Bay terminal.

For the 2nd picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Stories from a different news agency, with a couple of videos of the incident.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

That's a phrase I'd rather not hear over a PA.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Me either, Dave!

In a few years I'll finally get around to sorting out all my pictures and see if I can find the one I have with the hole in the side of the ship and post it ... of course, by then hopefully I will have gotten a scanner too.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Scary stuff...I couldn't imagine being on board at the time.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Wow, images of the Staten Island accident immediately come to mind. Very good job by the Captain to keep this from becoming a similar tragedy.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

That's what Stephen said too. I'll have to see if I can find a link on the Staten Island incident.

For those that know Stephen and where he lives ... can't believe we made his local news last night!

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Ferry captain likely saved lives in crash
    CTV.ca News Staff

A B.C. ferry captain is being hailed as a hero for steering his huge vessel away from a terminal crowded with people when it lost power, potentially saving numerous lives.

Captain Jarik Kosy is not speaking to the media, but his wife told CTV News on Friday what many officials now believe: "He's a hero," Barbara Kosy said.

The Coast Guard's Terry Tebb agrees, believing many would have been killed if Kosy had not acted quickly.

"That dock is incredibly solid, and if he had slammed into it, all of the people that had been standing there, guess where they'd have ended up," Tebb said.

Kosy, born in Poland, has only been a captain in Vancouver for two years.

Technicians have now reported that the ferry, the 7,000-tonne Queen of Oak Bay, suffered an engine failure on Thursday as it approached the terminal at Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver.

Kosy managed to steer the ferry into the Sewell Marina, where it ran aground, crushing several empty pleasure boats -- and caused some of their owners to run for their lives.

Despite carrying 544 passengers and 189 vehicles, no one on board the ferry was injured.

Problems began when the ferry suddenly lost power.

"There was a mechanical fault on number one engine, which caused number one engine to shut down," Aloak Tewari of the Transportation Safety Board told CTV News.

The malfunction's cause is unknown. Also unknown is why the vessel's second engine shut down too, when it should have continued to work.

Investigators say the clutch system did not engage the second engine, leaving both propellers useless.

"It's a very good question," Tewari said. "Why would the shutting down of one engine cause a shutting down of the other? It still has to be investigated."

Kosy was still able to pilot the vessel because the ferry's steering system uses a separate source of power from the engines.

Rob Hamilton, who retired from B.C. Ferries two years ago, wasn't surprised at all.

"When I was asked yesterday by somebody, I thought, 'Oh, it's a clutch problem,' because they have been fairly frequent in the past," he told CTV News.

Hamilton said the clutch would fail on the Queen of Oak Bay at least once per year -- something he termed as a design flaw. He said the clutch should have been serviced during the $35-million refit that the ferry underwent just weeks ago.

With a report from CTV's Rob Brown

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Ah so that's where my old Captain disappeared to! I used to work on live-aboard dive boats, and one that I crewed for a while in the Caribbean had a captain who was ex-navy. Unfortunately he spent most of his time at various shore postings such as the Hague on U.N. attachment etc, and thus had little real ship handling abilities despite the rank of Captain. Unfortunately it showed, because every time we docked we hit the dock - usually hard enough to remove pieces of concrete etc. He became known as Captain Crunch amongst the crew, and every time he left us with a bit of fist-sized dock or bigger we would souvenir it and write on it with marker pen the time, date and place that it was seperated from it's home. There was quite a collection hidden in the crew's cabin when I left.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Forum Member

psst! RFC, here you go!

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...drew+J+Barberi

also for further reference:

http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2005/MAR0501.htm

and

http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2005/MAR0501.pdf
    (last one requires PDF reader)

I've experienced unexpected engine shutdown, not while docking, but in confined waters. It's scary, even without have 500 passangers onboard, and more in immediate danger ashore. Captain has my respect for until proven otherwise for making the best of a bad situation.
    IACOJ light and power detail

Thanks, Joshie!

and .....

Thanks, Stephen!

Oh .. in case people are confused as to why I'm thanking Josh, he sent me a link of a video of the crash!
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 07-02-2005 at 02:49 PM.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Default Here you go, Stephen ....

Yesterday's article first, then today's ......

Tue. Jul. 5 2005 1:01 PM ET
    The B.C. ferry lost power, smashed into a number of boats and ran aground at a marina while docking at Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver.

Inspectors identify source of ferry power loss
    CTV.ca News Staff

Transportation safety inspectors say they've figured out why a B.C. ferry lost power while docking in West Vancouver last week. But the public will have to wait for the explanation.

B.C. Ferries officials spent the weekend piecing together the chain of events and have come up with a theory about what went wrong. However, they won't release their conclusions until they can double-check their findings.

Technicians have said the Queen of Oak Bay suffered an engine failure as it approached the terminal.

Aloak Tewari of the Transportation Safety Board told CTV News over the weekend that the malfunction's cause was still unknown. He added that he didn't know why the second engine shut down as well.

Investigators say the clutch system did not engage the second engine, leaving both propellers useless.

A total of 22 boats were damaged or destroyed when the 140-metre-long ferry plowed through the Sewell Marina. The captain blasted the ferry's horn for almost three minutes, giving bystanders time to flee. No one was injured.

The ferry's captain is being hailed as a hero for steering the 7,000-tonne vessel away from a terminal crowded with people, trying instead to ground the ferry by going through the neighbouring marina.

The Coast Guard's Terry Tebb says many would have been killed if Captain Jarik Kosy had not acted quickly.

"That dock is incredibly solid, and if he had slammed into it, all of the people that had been standing there, guess where they'd have ended up," Tebb told reporters last week.

The Queen of Oak Bay, which travels from West Vancouver to Nanaimo, had just returned to service after undergoing a $35-million refit at Vancouver Shipyards when the problem occurred. It received upgrades of its interior, replacement of piping and cables and regular engine maintenance.

Updated Thu. Jul. 7 2005 11:53 PM ET

Missing cotter pin blamed for B.C. ferry accident
    CTV.ca News Staff

A missing 3 cm cotter pin set off a chain of events that led to the grounding of a ferry at Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver last week.

BC Ferries says a control arm connecting the engine speed control device to the engine fuel rack disconnected when a nut came off the attachment bolt.

The nut came off because an inexpensive cotter pin that is normally in place to hold it in place was missing.

The disconnection of the bolt allowed the propulsion system to over-speed. Protective devices known as "over-speed trips" then engaged, and led to the shutdown of the propulsion system.

The ferry was unable to slow down and crashed into the Sewell Marina, crushing 24 smaller vessels.

BC Ferries official Mark Collins called it an anomaly, not a failure of the basic design.

The mechanism had been serviced by a private company during the ship's recent $35-million refit at Vancouver Shipyards. The ship received regular engine maintenance along with upgrades of its interior and replacement of piping and cables.

BC Ferries is not naming the contractor who performed the maintenance work.

Amazingly, no one was injured in last week's accident and the ferry, the Queen of Oak Bay, was only minimally damaged.

The vessel was repaired and has now been certified to resume service on its usual Nanaimo-to-Horseshoe Bay route, starting on Friday.

BC Ferries says that their other vessels have been checked for the same problem and have been cleared.

The ferry operator is now negotiating claims with the 24 owners of the destroyed or damaged boats. Tentative agreements have been reached with three of the owners.

BC Ferries president David Hahn, meanwhile, says the 544 passengers aboard the stricken ferry will be compensated with a gift certificate for their ordeal.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Bugger, so much fuss caused by a cheap 3cm long piece of metal.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Originally posted by PattyV
    Bugger, so much fuss caused by a cheap 3cm long piece of metal.
    Yep....... My thoughts, too!!

And they'll get a gift certificate....... Along with all the lawsuits that will be forthcoming......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

And how many gift certificates will be useless to the recepients? Fine if you happen to be a resident of BC, but I'm sure Mr. & Mrs. Joe Blow Wong on their once-in-a-lifetime trip from China or the family on summer vacation from Michigan will really appreciate the gesture

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

ummmmm Brian? Were you reading that right? hehehe

The gift certificates are for the passengers, the lawsuits would be from the boat owners that got their boats smashed like matchsticks I haven't heard of any passengers suing BC Ferrys, although I'm shocked nobody came up with the idea yet .... but but but I missed my tour bus (flight home/train ... whatever the case may be).

Yippppeeeeeeeeee it's Fridayyyyyyyyyyyyyy and I'm offfffffffffffff!!!! Will be home within an hour having some bevies!

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Originally posted by RspctFrmCalgary
    ummmmm Brian? Were you reading that right? hehehe

The gift certificates are for the passengers, the lawsuits would be from the boat owners that got their boats smashed like matchsticks I haven't heard of any passengers suing BC Ferrys, although I'm shocked nobody came up with the idea yet .... but but but I missed my tour bus (flight home/train ... whatever the case may be).

I read it right........ I kind of expect that kind of thing anymore with society being as litigious (sp??) as it is today.... Mental anguish, etc....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Yeah, I hear ya. 544 passengers, there's bound to be at least one that thinks of it.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information