Forum Member

Default Toledo, OH 2+ Alarm Grain Elevator Explosion

Here is a link to a local news channel

SOUTH TOLEDO -- Crews have knocked down the flames from a massive fire in one of the grain elevators along the Maumee River in south Toledo. An explosion hit the Cargill grain elevator on Edwin Drive near Kuhlman just before 4:00 which lit a fire in a conveyor belt that could be seen for miles. After deciding their strategy, firefighters started putting firefighting foam on the fire just before 6:00pm.

Toledo firefighters are expected to stay on the scene through the evening. At the height of the fire, crews had a Life Flight helicopter on standby, and foam units from the 180th Fighter Wing at Toledo Express Airport and the BP Refinery in east Toledo deployed at the scene. The Coast Guard also sent personnel to watch the river by the fire scene.

The elevator is on the Maumee River near Interstate 75, a heavily traveled route through the city. It is surrounded by fields and abandoned warehouses. It's owned by Cargill, but operated by The Andersons under a lease agreement.

No one knows what caused the explosion, which collapsed one of the grain silos. Video from the scene showed obvious damage, twisted metal, and flames deep in the heart of the building. At least two silos had their tops blown off, and a smaller building, part of the Kuhlman complex next to the silo, also caved in.

Speaking from company headquarters in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Cargill spokesman Bill Brady told News 11 that the silo contained corn and wheat, and the fire was in the conveyor belt system inside the elevator complex. Brady says the grain elevator complex had been closed for the holiday weekend, and no one was thought to be inside. He called it a "relatively safe facility" with several firewall structures inside for built-in protection.

News 11 Chief Meteorologist Robert Shiels said the winds were blowing from the WNW at 15-20 miles per hour when the fire broke out. That blew the smoke to the southeast over Perrysburg and Rossford.

Toledo Fire Chief Mike Bell said crews used firefighting foam because it is lighter than water, and helped smother the dust. Bell also said water would stir up more dust, and the water pressure could have damaged the building even more. Bell said the biggest challenge in the fire was the fact that crews could not get in to fight the flames right away.

Interstate 75 was closed in both directions by the fire. At the height of the incident, traffic was backed up from the scene of the fire all the way to the Interstate 475 split several miles away. Rutherford said some people were stuck on the highway for almost two hours. Rutherford says the incident commander gave the go-ahead to reopen the road around 7:40pm.

The Coast Guard had closed the Maumee River to boat traffic, but re-opened the river around the same time. The Rossford Municipal Marina was closed for the evening while the fire was being fought.

People all over the east side of the city report hearing and feeling the explosion. Angelina Gomez was in her house near the elevator when she heard the explosion. "It felt like a car hit our house," she said. The explosion was so loud she was surprised it didn't blow out her windows, she said. Gomez ran outside and saw smoke pouring from the top of the grain elevator. Then it started to spread down lower, she said.

Despite a traffic mess that spread through the surface streets of the city, the Toledo Mud Hens game started as scheduled at 7:00, and Rally on the River went on as scheduled.

On the Web:
    Cargill:www.cargill.com
    The Andersons: http://www.andersonsinc.com/
    This was an amazing explosion....... I was on my way to work and driving across the river when this explosion happened less than 1/10th mile ahead of me. I nearely shat myself!!! The guys and gals from Toledo did an amazing job for what they had to work with!!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank God this turned out okay. A few years back, 2 or 3 men were killed in a silo explosion in Ohio.

I'll bet you're still a bit shaken up from seeing that.

Forum Member

The other one was in New Bremen, OH where 2 FF's were killed after the concrete top blew off the silo.

It was definitely something you won't forget. Only wish I had a camera with me.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    IACOJ

Forum Member
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Were these the ones near the Econologe on Dussel Drive? I remember seeing them when we stayed there.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by StayBack500FT
    Were these the ones near the Econologe on Dussel Drive? I remember seeing them when we stayed there.
    No, these are near downtown, right where I-75 crosses the Maumee River.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Originally posted by WTFD10

No, these are near downtown, right where I-75 crosses the Maumee River.
    That's correct. They sit right along I-75. That's why they had to shut sown the highway in case of secondary explosions.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

The Battalion Chief on the first alarm did a great job of slowing everything down and keeping the brothers and sisters safe.

I'm sure New Bremen was on everybody's mind

There were no additional explosions even though most of the conveyor system was heavily involved in fire.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

The Battalion Chief on the first alarm did a great job of slowing everything down and keeping the brothers and sisters safe.

I'm sure New Bremen was on everybody's mind

There were no additional explosions even though most of the conveyor system was heavily involved in fire.
    Yes, they did do an excellent job on this. Grain Elevators are a totally different animal when it comes to firefighting.........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Is weruj riding their engine that's in the city?
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Is weruj riding their engine that's in the city?
    Yep. They've been hopping........ I don't think their truck has gone out yet, but the engine has been pretty busy, along with Dr. Don on Oregon's Engine.......
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by firenresq77
    Yep. They've been hopping........ I don't think their truck has gone out yet, but the engine has been pretty busy, along with Dr. Don on Oregon's Engine.......
    Well, it's about time he had his timing right

On another note...hard to believe that Pemberville is the closest department with High Expansion Foam?!
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Well, it's about time he had his timing right

On another note...hard to believe that Pemberville is the closest department with High Expansion Foam?!
    I must have missed that part........ Sun Oil doesn't??????
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I must have missed that part........ Sun Oil doesn't??????
    Don't know but Pemberville is on scene with their engine and equipment...
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Don't know but Pemberville is on scene with their engine and equipment...
    Are you sure??????? I know they have the Air Guard and BP out there. I think BP brought a tanker and a 75' ladder and Airguard has a crash truck and possibly another vehicle........
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you sure??????? I know they have the Air Guard and BP out there. I think BP brought a tanker and a 75' ladder and Airguard has a crash truck and possibly another vehicle........
    I'm sure...yell across the aisle and check
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

I'm sure...yell across the aisle and check
    Now I'm baffled....... They are telling me Pemberville is in the staging area there, but my co-worker is saying they don't have a truck with foam on it....... Now I'm really baffled.......
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe it's Pemberville, Michigan?

(How'd we already get this to 2 pages with this nonsense? )
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

Just confirmed........ PVille got called around 1900 for High expansion foam and the generator..........

WOW!!!!
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Rossford finally got send home after 2300 hours. Pemberville left the scene around 2400, but never did anything because they couldn't get close enough to use the high expansion foam. They may get called back tomorrow...... It was still burning when I drove past after I got off work......
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Update ...............Pemberville has an engine has a high expansion foam unit on simillar to what you used to see on "Emergency" with the fan about the size of a smoke ejoector and it put the foam through a sleeve, it is very light and fluffy type of foam. We used to have a simillar unit but we never used it. We did 8 or 9 on the engine while filling it at both 9's and 21's. Da truckies did ZERO. We got back @ 0000 this am.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

it has been burning again for about 2 hours .........we havent been called to fill in. There are 2 trucks and 6 engines out there and the SFM Command Vehicle.
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as I know, it's never been officially called "Under Control" yet. Sounds like they'll be there for awhile yet. They're planning on 2 engines and a truck through the night tonight.

Hope they get it completely out before the temps start climbing again tomorrow and Monday.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

MOe .........I am at work now and it isnt sounding good ......they have 4 engines and 2 trucks around the clock at 4 hour intervals.....
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607

Forum Member

Originally posted by Weruj1
    MOe .........I am at work now and it isnt sounding good ......they have 4 engines and 2 trucks around the clock at 4 hour intervals.....
    Any more updates???
    IACOJ

Thread Information