Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Holy Whacker job Batman................ from todays news

Illinois Chiefs Run Off Serious Fire Buffs

Updated: 07-01-2005 11:15:28 AM
    E-MAIL THIS STORY PRINT THIS STORY

Courtesy of the Winthrop Harbor Fire Department
    The Lost Creek Fire Company drove their engine in this 2004 Zion, Ill. parade.

BEN WEINSTEIN
    Firehouse.Com News

The Lost Creek Fire Company advertised itself as a throwback fire crew, a band of citizens united to protect its community.

It ran out of northern Illinois, in rural areas near the Wisconsin border. The company had an engine, firefighting gear, emergency medical supplies and access to emergency radio frequencies.

But it wasn’t clear if its members had any firefighting or emergency medical training. And for area fire and law enforcement officials, it also wasn’t clear whether or not these firefighter impersonators were breaking any laws.

As it turned out, they weren’t. And until a bill recently pushed through the state legislature gets the governor’s signature, firefighter impersonators can’t be punished in Illinois.

“They were trying to do good,” Winthrop Harbor Fire Chief Michael Stried said. Stried, whose department shares Lake County with the village authorities believe Lost Creek was based in, added that Lost Creek members believed they were going “back to the olden days when citizens could jump on a truck and help their neighbors.”

But while Stried sympathized with Lost Creek’s intentions, he didn’t hesitate to do what he could to shut it down.

“They weren’t called for, they weren’t wanted,” Stried said.

Before Lake County authorities confronted Lost Creek last September, word started to spread about a group of fire buffs that was responding to emergencies around the county. People also reported seeing Lost Creek at fairs and other gatherings, raising funds to help run their company.

Stried said he learned of Lost Creek after someone passed along a brochure he found at a parade.

“It said something [like] ‘Firefighting the way it used to be,’” Stried said. The brochure also mentioned a response call Lost Creek made in spring 2004 to a tornado-ravaged site downstate in Utica, Ill. That response call triggered Lost Creek's unraveling.

According to information given by Stried and other Illinois fire officials, Lost Creek dispatched itself to Utica, its members driving with lights flashing more than 100 miles from their base in response to a statewide call for Illinois fire departments. But authorities stopped them at a checkpoint and kept Lost Creek from the disaster scene because they couldn’t provide a security access code.

“We told them to make sure they stayed isolated [from first responders],” Ottawa Fire Department Chief Richard Scott said. “They were not very happy with us.”

Scott, who was incident commander at the Utica scene, then told Northbrook Fire Chief Jay Reardon about Lost Creek. That’s when they learned Illinois had no law against impersonating a firefighter. State police questioned and released Lost Creek members.

Word spread throughout Lake County fire departments about Lost Creek. So when the company showed up with their vehicles last Labor Day weekend at a Zion, Ill. parade, Stried knew something was off. He snapped a picture of their 20-plus year-old Mac and called area law enforcement.

Police impounded Lost Creek’s two vehicles because both split the same license plates and, according to Stried, weren’t properly insured. (The Winthrop Harbor Police Department did not return calls in time for this article.)

Officials say Lost Creek’s vehicles contained outdated IV equipment, which Lost Creek members allegedly said was just for show.

Stried said that one of his main concerns about Lost Creek was that one of its members is a convicted child molester whose name – Jay M. Katz of Lindenhurst, Ill. – appears on the Lake County Sheriff's Office Sex Offender List. There were reports that Lost Creek visited schools, which would have been a violation for Katz. But it’s unclear whether he was present at any such events.

Lake County-area fire officials say there haven’t been any Lost Creek Fire Company sightings since that parade.

“I think it’s taken care of,” Stried said, adding that the “rag-tag organization” represented a real danger. “This was just serious, serious business.”

Reardon said of Lost Creek: “We love fire fans … but these guys have taken it to an unacceptable level.”
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Pardon me sir, I believe we are all over here .....

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=71167

Where ya been Joshie, the originial thread was started June 20!!! hehehehehe
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

right right , sheri send me your email address .....I have ferry crash video for you
    Last edited by Weruj1; 07-02-2005 at 01:40 PM.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information