+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Default Calling R/C Pilots

Ok, anybody out there fly radio control aircraft? After not flying in a couple of years and not flying a lot in the last 6 years I've started back again. My 11 year old has started flying last weekend, which got me involved again. I'm flying a .60 size Midwest "Stick" with a .90 4 cycle OS Max engine and a new Yak 55 electric which I love! Climbs straight up at half throttle and no messy fuel to deal with! What do you fly?
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: R/C Flying

I used to fly R/C but found out I didn't have time to fly enough due to the fire department and work. My club flies at a Naval Training field and we could only fly on Weekends and National Holidays. I work every other weekend and just didn't have the time to devote to the hobby. I was flying a Right (or Wright) Flyer .60 trainer. Used a Thunder Tiger motor and the plane could handle anything that I could do to it. Even crashed it several times and was able to repair it. I also flew a .40 All-American Flyer that was pretty good. When I quit, I was building a .46 acrobatic flyer however I don't remember the name. I have donated all of my equipment to a friend of mine that is a private pilot and wanted to get into the hobby. He has built several planes since then and is now flying float planes on the river at his fish camp.

Forum Member

Whatever I can get my hands on! Actually I used to be a member of a club, where the club bought all the planes, and we shared, just a handful of members. We had a trainer or two, with a Pipe cub, and a few stunt planes. My favorite to fly was one called a Duraplane. I LOVED that thing, you could throw it around like it was nothing! Crash it just replace the PVC frame and transplant the electronics, and they're cheap to start with. She was a good plane until i was flying at about 1000' one day, banking, and the right wing came off the spar. Down she went in a spiral, no stopping her. She went into the ground nose first and sounded like a slug hitting a brick wall. Biggest piece left of the plane was about the size of a quarter. She was completely totaled, the engine was about 6-8" in the ground. Salvaged the engine and electronics, and build a whole new duraplane. One of these days I hope to build a P51-D mustang with probably the 5 cylinder Radial 4 stroke. Now that'll be a nice plane! Dog fighting is also fun. Tie a 30-40' streamer on the back of 2 planes, and try to clip each other's streamer, without crashing! Enjoy your flight!

Forum Member

I'm not into it at all, but I thought I would say that there is some kind of huge RC Air Show in Quakertown, Pa. this holiday weekend....Supposed to be huge!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Maybe when I am finally able to own a house I will be able to play some more.

Meanwhile, here is a site for all of you RC flyers "buffs" out there.

Captain Gonzo might especially enjoy this.

A scale model of a B-52 that flies. Supposedly needs 2 remotes to totally operate it.

http://www.mcgirt.net/RC/VIDEOS/Gian...52_flight2.wmv
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Beautiful plane. Notice the two C02 extinguishers during startup? Too bad it didn't have a little vapor trail behind it, but I was thinking during the flight... i'd hate to have to try to flair that thing for the landing. With my luck i'd nick a wingtip. One of the RC plane magazines I used to get had a feature plane of the week as a C-130 with FOUR twin clyinder 4 stroke engines, with each engine having a four blade prop. Very good looking plane! From what I read the stall speed was so low that it could almost land like a Harrier.

I never had a chance to fly turbine engine plane, but i did fly a ducted fan or two. Both of those will make you need to go see the cracktopractor after watching them fly by!

Forum Member

Cool

I have GWS BF-109, spitfire, tigermoth and a Firebird 2.

The Firebird doen't fly anymore due to an over confident pilot (myself)

I love the BF-109. Great little plane that flies awesome. It just needs some glue loving after an encounter with my cat.

I haven't flown the spitfire yet.
    We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering.

Forum Member

Talking

BTW if you are into Home Brew RC check this thing out:

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=HydroFoam

I want one!

Free plans here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380781
    We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering.

Forum Member

Duraplane
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Ducted Fan Trainer
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Flight of such aircrafts are probably prohibited in my area since the President likes to fly in all the time.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

The Firebird doen't fly anymore due to an over confident pilot (myself)
    Hey, I wonder if that crater is still there?

Forum Member

Duraplane
    How do those things hold up? I (like the skwerl) tend to be "over-confident" sometimes.

Forum Member

Originally posted by DaSharkie
    Maybe when I am finally able to own a house I will be able to play some more.

Meanwhile, here is a site for all of you RC flyers "buffs" out there.

Captain Gonzo might especially enjoy this.

A scale model of a B-52 that flies. Supposedly needs 2 remotes to totally operate it.

http://www.mcgirt.net/RC/VIDEOS/Gian...52_flight2.wmv
    Thanks bro...that was awesome. If it weren't for the landing gear being constantly down and the "wing wagging", you would swear it was one of The Big Ugly Fat F******!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

They hold up pretty well. You can lightly crash it, on a take off or landing, or nick the wings, the rubber bands that hold the wings will give, and prevent damage to the wings. The mainframe is box PVC, which is basically gutter downpipe, from what I understand. The biggest problems with it were keeping the wheels on. I crashed it at least 4 times on take-offs or landings. Just replace the rubber bands, fire it up, fly it off. I'd buy one right now if I had the money.

Forum Member

from a non RC person .....whats with the CO2 ? I must say it would be fun to go buzzin some houses with that !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

R/C Fuel can be anywhere from 0% to 25% (maybe even more in some) nitro-methane. I'm not sure what the turbine RC engines are using, but i'd imagine there's enough fuel on that plane to cause a few problems.

Forum Member

Any of you guys do rc helicopters? I work with a company that deals in aerial photography, but does most of its work with thermal imaging with all of the law enforcement in the area. We were called out the other night for a possible jumper off a bridge on the Mississippi, and asked to fly over with the thermal to check it out. Wasn't anything though, as is usually the case when the largest night club is one block away from the river and the bridges.

Here is a sampling of what we do.

WGEM Airfoil

BAClair

Forum Member

I tried choppers on the Realflight simulator, a very realistic program for those of you who have never used it. I couldn't keep the thing balanced so I never got the chance to move to the real thing. I love watching other people fly them tho, especialy inverted flight!

Forum Member

Key to choppers is small stick movements!!! Been working for a year now, and still am a little ways off from the real thing. As far as watching others, during the winter, we find a school gym and fly around with the electrics. Some wickedly awesome stunts in a short space with helis and planes alike.

BAClair

Forum Member

Yes, I learned right quick on the simulator that small stick movements is the key. I could get it off the ground, and hold it somewhat still, but she would just tend to go haywire after a bit and not much you can do to save it once it goes. May have just been the simulator, but I never had the chance to try the real thing, not even with the trainer control setup.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

4caster, I like the helicopter set up! Cool stuff for sure.

Electrics are going to be the future of this hobby. Several of us at our field have started flying them and just love them. Mine is the 3-D Yak 55 from Hobby Lobby with a brushless outrunner motor on Li-Po batteries. Enough power the you just hold it out at half throttle and let go (no toss) and off it flies. You can turn in the width of the runway and climb vertical like a bat out of a burning stump! Made some low passes today and cut the tops off of some Dallas Grass....

Yesterday my son did his first loop and today his first roll, Ah to be young again......I think he'll be outflying me in short order. Next time I think it's time for his first takeoff.

We managed to fly three afternoons in row, easy to do since the field is at my brothers house 1/4 mile away.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

We have a few engineers from the area that have been designing their own. Configuration of a jet. I have seen one with a ducted elec. motor installed, and just zigs and zags. All out of foam and a few lipos. My brother has just started with a plane that is probably a little advanced, but he finally kicked the servos into high rate tonight and got some decent rolls in. He even bought a little radio shack pinhole camera with a wireless downlink to add "pilot view."

Not to get off subject, but for those of you in mosquito country, here's a little tool to use. Once again, compliments of Airfoil...

Airfoil Thermal Fogger

BAClair

Forum Member

If you think flying RC is fun... you ought to try the real thing!

I did my eighth takeoff, my first 45 degree angle of bank turns yesterday and my second landing ... my 14th lesson!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default Congrats Gonzo!

Your right the real thing is a blast. I hope to take lesson #3 this weekend.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information