Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

75 mph in a tanker would scare me no matter what. Glad I wasn't riding.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yeah...................

Anyone out there born after November, 1959? Good. I thought so. I've been driving Fire Apparatus since before you were born. Still doing so. Been responsible for filling out 3 accident reports in that time frame, one for a unknown object breaking the right windshield, one when I was struck from behind while waiting to make a left turn, and one when I was struck while sitting on a hydrant pumping 2 supply lines. Skill? Luck? Little of both probably. I have gotten down the road very fast on some occasions, most notably one time when I was returning an engine to the station from a repair shop. The Shop Manager told me to "Blow it out good on the way home". The Engine was a 1964 Brockway Conventional Cab, Single axle, with a 750 pump, 500 gal tank, and body by Seagrave. Power was from a Detroit 653 Diesel, thru a Fuller RT10 Transmission. Rear was geared high, but we didn't know how high at the time. Heading South from Baltimore on Interstate 95, I went thru a Police radar at 89 mph. No ticket, no problem, just a call from a Trooper who asked "You got any idea how fast you were going?" Getting over the shock from his reply to my "No" took a minute or two. A former Chief's buggy that I had was a 95 Crown Vic Police package with a speedometer that went to 140 mph. I DID NOT try to see if it was real. Make a long story short, I've driven a lot of Apparatus, a lot of miles, and except for that Brockway, everything would top out in the low 70s or less. Our newest piece is a 2004 Pierce Enforcer pumper that is set for 63 mph. In today's traffic, that's good enough. If anyone in NY can find out how the crew is doing, please let us know.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

The members are will all be fine, including the Buff who was with them. Minor injuries (a few broken bones) Could have been much worse. Spoke to the Chauffer who was right behind them (Ladder 103) and said they rolled over about 1 1/2 times (stopped by a large fence post) The boom of the Tower Ladder actually prevented the cab from being crushed.

Well, one thing is for certain; you don't flip fire trucks by going too slow.

Originally posted by ThNozzleman
    Well, one thing is for certain; you don't flip fire trucks by going too slow.
    But you can still do it going VERY VERY VERY slow. Takes skill though.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

It will be interesting to see what the investigation says. I find it a little to hard to believe they were going 70 in the city. Not saying maybe they weren't going too fast...but 70? Also you can't always believe John Q. Public. Your perception of someones speed is going to be different depending on the location (city streets, rural, etc.). None the less, my prayers are with the injured.

Forum Member

Unhappy rollover

I sincerely hope all the guys are doing fine and recover quickly. I just hate to see thius sort of thing happen. I doubt the speed was as fast as reported but perhaps to fast for the size and weight of the rig and the turn. I would be really interested to know the final outcome of the investigation and to know if there were any mechanical problems with the rig. Also I assume that everyone was belted? God speed bro's.

Get well soon, Brothers!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Thread Information