MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tower Ladder Rolls In Brooklyn

I did not see this on the front page or in the Forums. From Billy G's Secret List.
    ---------
    TOWER LADDER ROLLS IN BROOKLYN
    By JOHN DOYLE and JULIE MOULT

July 3, 2005 -- A firetruck lies overturned in Brownsville, Brooklyn, yesterday after it rolled while turning a corner.
    Above: Firefighters tend to their injured comrades from Ladder Co. 120 after yesterday's accident.

A firetruck flipped three times as it raced to a blaze in Brooklyn yesterday, leaving six firefighters injured. The smoke-eaters from Ladder Co. 120 were taken from the wreckage on stretchers and were listed in serious but stable condition at Kings County Hospital yesterday. "It looked like something out of a movie," said stunned witness Brandon Harris. "I saw it coming down the street and it was going pretty fast. It went to make a left and just flipped over and smashed through a fence and into a disused lot."

The firetruck was heading to a fire at 180 Powell St. in Brownsville at around 12:30 p.m. when the accident happened. It is unclear what caused the crash, but witnesses say it was traveling at speeds over 70 mph. As it made a left turn from Sutter Avenue into Powell Street, the driver appeared to lose control and the vehicle went over onto two wheels. "They had to be going 75 mph. It was like a skid, then a boom. It sounded like a bomb," said Jermel Wilson, 23. "It flipped three times. People just climbed out. They were trying to get other people out."

Another firetruck following behind screeched to a halt, and firefighters began to help their stricken colleague clamber out. "It looked like something deadly was going to happen when it turned over," said Lenny McCulough. 49. "It was laying on its side. The guys on the inside tried to get out from the cab. "One of the firemen pushed the door open, and I saw two or three firemen get out on top. It was something I've never seen before. He was going to fast, it happened so quickly. "There was another firetruck behind them. The men jumped out and tried to help." An FDNY spokesman, who said they were looking into the cause of the accident, added: "Six firefighters were injured. They are all in a serious but stable condition."
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Unhappy Wow..................

Our prayers are with the injured, that they may have a quick and full recovery. Hopefully, someone close to this will let us know what the story is. I am, without hesitation, discounting the "Eyewitness" speed estimates. I am familiar with several ex-FDNY rigs that were purchased and placed in service down this way. They were hardly capable of 50 MPH, nothing more.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I dont know if its just the pic, but the truck doesnt look beat up enough to have flipped 3 times.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Early Adopter

Default Re: Tower Ladder Rolls In Brooklyn

It is unclear what caused the crash, but witnesses say it was traveling at speeds over 70 mph. As it made a left turn from Sutter Avenue into Powell Street, the driver appeared to lose control and the vehicle went over onto two wheels. "They had to be going 75 mph. It was like a skid, then a boom. It sounded like a bomb," said Jermel Wilson, 23.
    I don't think Jermel knows what he's talking about. I can't imagine seeing a tower ladder hit 75 mph on anything besides the downside of a mountain.

I hope the brothers of Truck 120 fare well.

Forum Member

Im sure someone on here can correct me, but Im pretty sure all FDNY rigs are governed at around 55 or so mph. Everyone should cut and paste this article and pix and send it to Mayor Dumbass and ask him if response times are down.

MembersZone Subscriber

While it is not firsthand knowledge I have read several forums here lately that state the FDNY trucks are governed at 57mph by order spec. Really, I can imagine there are too many places a FDNY rig could make it up to that speed anyway.

As for 75mph that is truly unattainable in 99% of ladder trucks in this country. The ladder I ride is a 105' Pierce with the biggest Detroit available and on the interstate, down a large hill I can hit 67mph with about a 2 mile lead-up. The only trucks I know of that might hit that are specially designed rigs for places with wide open roads and long travel distances. I beleive Fallon-Churchill Nevada had some 75' quints built a couple years ago that were built specially to run high speeds near 80 on their wide open highways.

Most likely this is media BS!

Forum Member

i cant see my car getting up to 75 in most parts of th city, let alone a ladder truck.

as far as the crew, get well soon...
    "Let no man's ghost come back to say my training let me down."

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

My prayers are with the injured that they have a full and speedy recovery.

cheffie

MembersZone Subscriber

Come on guys. Everybody knows that an emergency vehichle that has it lights and sirens on automatically goes 70 to 75 miles an hour whether you are going 5 mph or 25 mph. Hell I've been accuse of this very thing going to a call when I was not even going the posted speed limit. As fast as our rigs go we need to qualify at Daytona. Just another example of a dumb *** reporter telling a story he got from somebody that does not know arse from a hole in the ground. This would be a good picture for the truck manufacture of how well their truck hold up to rolling 3 times. Yeah right. May all be well.

Forum Member

the only time i did "75mph" was when i was returning from a mva and i had to talk to the duke (if you know what i mean)
    "Let no man's ghost come back to say my training let me down."

Forum Member

Originally posted by Farmun
    While it is not firsthand knowledge I have read several forums here lately that state the FDNY trucks are governed at 57mph by order spec. Really, I can imagine there are too many places a FDNY rig could make it up to that speed anyway.

As for 75mph that is truly unattainable in 99% of ladder trucks in this country. The ladder I ride is a 105' Pierce with the biggest Detroit available and on the interstate, down a large hill I can hit 67mph with about a 2 mile lead-up. The only trucks I know of that might hit that are specially designed rigs for places with wide open roads and long travel distances. I beleive Fallon-Churchill Nevada had some 75' quints built a couple years ago that were built specially to run high speeds near 80 on their wide open highways.

Most likely this is media BS!
    As a Turntable ladder Driver/Operator (and having put on paper in these forums before)and having had an indicated 70 mph(true or false)on a downhill run in the very early hours of the morning, on a dead straight road with about a 4 mile run in. Turn a corner?-NO BLOODY WAY!!!
    I would be looking at a tyre deflation or blow out--to the injured guys on board "Get well soon"
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

MembersZone Subscriber

Get well soon Brothers!
    Jim
    Firefighter/EMT
    IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-rfb-egh-ktf-dtrt!

September 11, 2001 - NEVER FORGET!

BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES!

MembersZone Subscriber

Any word on how these guys are doing?

Forum Member

Our engine is governed at 65mph, and it'll do that up or down a hill. It's way overpowered, and actually over speced(designed to be a telesqurt, but we never put the boom on).

The only truck I've ever had up to 75mph was our tanker. It was 3am on a June 2. The interstate from our township to the next county is a 10 mile straight away down a slight grade. The interstate was clear, we were the only vehicle on the roadway. We were making a structure fire run because the two companies between us and the one we were going to help had had 3 tone outs for engine and tanker both and neither could get a driver.

It was pretty fun But I'd never do it on a crowded road, much less in a city.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Forum Member

Thats the problem with the media. They could wait and print confirmed facts, or they can print far more sensational BS that they know is non-sense. Guess what sells...
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

People see only what they want to see. In this particular area of Brooklyn, FDNY is still seen as "da Man" aka. a symbol of authority, so they are automatically at fault in some eyes.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Originally posted by PattyV
    I dont know if its just the pic, but the truck doesnt look beat up enough to have flipped 3 times.

I agree. Wouldn't the boom be more beat up?? Repeating what has been said before, I think Jermel needs to get his facts straight.
    I hope that the crew is doing alright.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Yea. That's kinda like an officer saying "all units with traffic" or "all units hold in quarters" and then he goes flying by lights and siren.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Originally posted by TrojanHorse

Well unless there was an adjacent structure what was the hurry? Heck by the time you get there it is just a surround and drown anyway.

I witnessed first hand some similiar actions at our very own department. Back in the spring things got pretty dry and we had a number of grass/brush fires. This particular fire was up on this back road in the middle of nowhere. After 2 or 3 hours we were called in for mutual aid. I arrived at the station 3rd. We pulled the crew cab pickup truck out and then pulled in behind the chiefs vehicle. We stood around for a good 10 minutes and then proceeded up the highway with lights and sirens and speeds at or near 80 mph. The chief was leading this whole deal.
    It was a storage facility for paper rolls with a connected office. Fire was in the office, they were trying to stop it from making it into the storage area. We were on third alarm for the building, but were dispatched on the fill for the second alarm after six minutes due to the tone outs(our county retones every 2 minutes).

Our response time was around 15 minutes from dispatch to on scene. The guy I was with took over to run the shuttles and I masked up and went in with them.

And to answer any follow-up attacks you may see fit to launch at me, it went to four alarms, necessitating the response we made anyway. The storage facility was, guess what, saved. And the law allows responding emergency fire apparatus to exceed the posted speed limit by 10 mph. I was still within the limits(at the limit, but within it none the less) in my response. Like I said, it was a beautiful July night, the interstate was wide open and clear. Not like we were bebopping down the crowded interstate January at 0-early-thirty with black ice. And we were fulfilling our requirements to qualify as an 'emergency vehicle'(all audible and visual warning devices active).
    Last edited by SpartanGuy; 07-06-2005 at 12:15 AM.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

MembersZone Subscriber

Something to keep in mind... Perception is Reality to the people that observe us, and more importantly, is there an update on the injured firefighters? I hope they are doing OK.

Forum Member

75 mph in a tanker would scare me no matter what. Glad I wasn't riding.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Yeah...................

Anyone out there born after November, 1959? Good. I thought so. I've been driving Fire Apparatus since before you were born. Still doing so. Been responsible for filling out 3 accident reports in that time frame, one for a unknown object breaking the right windshield, one when I was struck from behind while waiting to make a left turn, and one when I was struck while sitting on a hydrant pumping 2 supply lines. Skill? Luck? Little of both probably. I have gotten down the road very fast on some occasions, most notably one time when I was returning an engine to the station from a repair shop. The Shop Manager told me to "Blow it out good on the way home". The Engine was a 1964 Brockway Conventional Cab, Single axle, with a 750 pump, 500 gal tank, and body by Seagrave. Power was from a Detroit 653 Diesel, thru a Fuller RT10 Transmission. Rear was geared high, but we didn't know how high at the time. Heading South from Baltimore on Interstate 95, I went thru a Police radar at 89 mph. No ticket, no problem, just a call from a Trooper who asked "You got any idea how fast you were going?" Getting over the shock from his reply to my "No" took a minute or two. A former Chief's buggy that I had was a 95 Crown Vic Police package with a speedometer that went to 140 mph. I DID NOT try to see if it was real. Make a long story short, I've driven a lot of Apparatus, a lot of miles, and except for that Brockway, everything would top out in the low 70s or less. Our newest piece is a 2004 Pierce Enforcer pumper that is set for 63 mph. In today's traffic, that's good enough. If anyone in NY can find out how the crew is doing, please let us know.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

The members are will all be fine, including the Buff who was with them. Minor injuries (a few broken bones) Could have been much worse. Spoke to the Chauffer who was right behind them (Ladder 103) and said they rolled over about 1 1/2 times (stopped by a large fence post) The boom of the Tower Ladder actually prevented the cab from being crushed.

Forum Member

Well, one thing is for certain; you don't flip fire trucks by going too slow.

Forum Member

Originally posted by ThNozzleman
    Well, one thing is for certain; you don't flip fire trucks by going too slow.
    But you can still do it going VERY VERY VERY slow. Takes skill though.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information