Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GB Solo Limited

Question GB Solo Limited

We've been doing some equipment evaluation of some new gear and one of the things we've noticed with this TIC is that it's absolutely spastic when you move it any more than about 1 inch per minute. The image is fine when stationary, but as soon as you move at all it's all over the place.

Anyone else have any experience with this brand. It's a helmet / mask mounted unit... any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Ian "Eno" McLeod
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Train Hard, Fight Easy

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

I'm not clear what you are exactly seeing, but it may have to do with a term called "refresh rate." This is the speed at which the infrared receiver sends image updates to the video display. The human eye doesn't notice speeds above 24-30 Hz (frames per second). Anything less than that looks jumpy. I believe the GB Solo uses an older version of an IR core that has a refresh rate of only 20 Hz. This could explain the "spastic" image you see.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Default Thanks

I understand the concept you're talking about- and I don't see this as being the problem. Basically what we're having happen is a clear image when the unit is being held perfectly still. Any movement whatsoever, however, creates a totally unreadable image. Imagine watching channel 1... What I want to know is if this is something that is standard with the unit, or if it is a defect.

Thanks.

Ian "Eno" McLeod
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Train Hard, Fight Easy

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

Without seeing it, I can't give you a great evaluation of what's going on. Plus, the GB Solo is nearly non-existant in the USA, so I haven't even been able to play with one.

There may be a problem either with the IR core or with the video display connections. I hope you are still evaluating and can get the distributor to get you a better one. If you actually bought it, then you need to try to get a warranty evaluation and repair.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Default Thank you again.

Interestingly they got a hold of me by phone and by their admission it sounds like a technical problem with the camera... So I guess that answers the question. I'm not sure what our arrangements are, but we can figure that out over here. Thanks for all the help and consideration!
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Train Hard, Fight Easy

Forum Member

Hey Ian - give us a call. I had tested that unit (probably why its broke ) last year. We went with the hand held scott eagle, but for a helmet mounted unit the GB solo was pretty good. The little thing wholesale has (fire warrior) is a little bit more of a pain in the ***. Doesnt have transmitting capabilities either.

What are you guys looking for?

The one thing about the GB is that it takes up a fair amount of space on your mask, thus illiminating your periferall (big word ooops)vision. With the thermal camera you dont want to rely on it for your vision so having the ability to look past the lense is a plus (especially when you find a hole in the floor). Other than that the unit has its positives and negatives.

Dave
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Eh Dave.

Sorry, I just came back over this and saw your reply. Interesting comments- I haven't seen it get shipped out so I think we're stuck with it.

Hope things are busy down there. No more rolling in when all the work is done and THEN getting in the paper? Go figure- we're always the bridesmaids in the Broken Spoke.

Ha...
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Train Hard, Fight Easy

Thread Information