MembersZone Subscriber

Default Abandoned FireHouse in NYC?

Came across this site at work today.These kids just go around and take pictures of abandoned buildings. Its called "Urban Exploration". Seems almost everything on the site is in New York. Anyone know what house this used to be?
    http://www.netherworldonline.net/gallery/Firehouse

Forum Member

From the first picture, it appears to be the old Marine Division's Headquarters, down in Lower Manhattan, right at the north end of Battery Park. I believe Marine 1, plus all the divisional admin offices plus Marine Unit Maintenance was quartered there for years.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, it appears to be the former Marine Division HQ. Originally I think it was the Dept. of Docks. The original Marine Co. 1 was on a now demolished pier at the Southern tip of the Battery.

Here are some other photos of it.

PS-As for abandoned firehouses...there are a few that appear abandoned...however most of them are owned and used for either housing or industrial uses. There were a number that were abandoned after the consolidations and new firehouses built in the 60s thru mid 70s. However most have been put to good use due to their unique architecture.

FTM-PTB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FFFRED; 07-04-2005 at 11:59 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

More pics
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Yup...that's the old qtrs of Marine Co.1 and the MD....My dad was assigned there for prior to Marine 1 being relocated to "little W-14th street...or Bloomfield st in Mn....next to the Gansavoort Destructor plant....Marine 2's old qtrs. He has a million pictures in his house of the pier...boat and trade center in the background.....

The original idea was to renovate the bldg and turn it into a resturant...but that deal fell through once the developers learn that the site was a historic site......if I remember correctly.....
    IACOJ Member

Thread Information