Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ground ladders

Forum Member

Default ground ladders

OK, I'm sure this has been covered before, but please humor me. I tried the search feature and didn't find what I was looking for.

Can anyone give me the NFPA reccomendations for ground ladders on a quint and on a truck? Do they have individual ladder lengths, or just a total overall length?

Is there also a list of recommended equipment for trucks and quints? Is this list available online somewhere?

I need some quick answers and I haven't gotten around to ordering the 1901 book yet.

I don't have access to the NFPA stuff at work (which probably hasn't been updated for the apparatus stuff anyway), but nosing around the web reveals this:

A quint is required to carry 85 feet of ground ladders. A straight truck/ladder apparatus is required to carry 115 feet of ground ladders.

NFPA has eliminated specific ladder lengths for both aerials and pumpers, I would suspect the same is true of quints. The only requirement is that aerials now need to carry a minimum of two straight ladders, two extension ladders and an attic ladder.

Sorry, I don't have the required equipment lists in front of me, and again - I'd be willing to bet work's is out of date.
    Last edited by npfd801; 07-04-2005 at 06:00 PM.

Also, remember that ISO for your rating schedule has a higher reqirement of ladders to carry. Orginallyt NFPA and ISO were the same, then NFPA began requiring less as a minimum and many builders went to the minimum. I do not have the ISO numbers in front of me, but it starts with two 35 footers and a 28 extensions.

Just a thought for consideration so you are not surprised when your new NFPA quint or ladder only gets partial ISO credit.

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

ISO says:
    1 40
    1 28
    1 20
    1 14
    1 10

NFPA says:
    Ground Ladders.

A minimum of 115 ft of ground ladders shall be supplied and installed by the contractor.

As a minimum, the following types of ladders shall be provided:

One attic ladder
    Two straight ladders with folding roof hooks
    Two extension ladders

Pretty close to the same MINIMUM requirement. ISO allows for some equivalencies

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

True enough!.. that's the doc I was looking for in the first place, all I could find was the equivalency table. Thanks

Thread Information