Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Re: Accidental Discharge?

Next time you want to selectively quote someone- particularly your "client," how about you retain someone to selectively quote on the other person's behalf as well. Interesting how you leave my clarification of what I was looking for out of your rendition, before he got sarcastic and I got fed up.

Furthermore, I would HARDLY consider his and only his opinion as gospel- especially after this little farce, and remained interested in the experiences of other viewers. Unfortunately, my intentions got lost in this little popularity contest and the educational value I sought of this thread has been drowned out by your relentless pursuits of imperfection.

Originally posted by FFTrainer
    Your Question.....

Bones' answer....

Your response...

Sorry he didn't specifically say the words "shorting out the system" but the question was have we heard of or scene it and the answer was no. To me that is all encompassing. He has not scene it as a result of puncture, short, or anything else associated with pulling the mouldings.

Hey Bones....my legal fees for your defense entail 1 harley raffle ticket
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Train Hard, Fight Easy

Ok, so all those that have heard of actual incidents of accidental inflation speak up....

anyone? anyone? Bueller?

PS - there used to be some guy advertising on the internet as "The Airbag Doctor" who had a website listing all kinds of airbag incidents. You might be able to find his website out there somewhere. You may also want to send a message to Mr. Moore about your question and, if you find it, this Airbag Doctor.

PSS - I also checked with a friend from OSHA to see if he could find anything. Also checked National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Still looking, but not finding any. Have you looked anywhere?

Oh, and have a nice day.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

The person you are refering to is the "Airbag Detective" out of Minnnesota and most of his stories have been proven to be untrue like the slim jim killing the Deputy when the side airbag deployed. If you find any incidents I would definately check out the source!

Eno,To specifically address your query I submit the following.To strip coverings,I don't use a screwdriver,I use a carpenters flat bar.A small one so you can get into tight areas.Could you set off the airbag doing this?Highly unlikely(not impossible)due to the fact that almost everything in a SRS system is shielded in yellow overcoat,with locking style weatherpack connections to the bags and modules.Now all the "firing"units use some type of electrically actuated squib,similar to a blasting cap for the purpose we are discussing here.The ONLY way to render them 100% harmless is to remove them from the vehicle which isn't too practical.Now for Jorg,don't feel bad.That E-mail(that Bigrig assures me works)doesn't work for me either.Perhaps it doesn't work over the pond or north of the Mason/Dixon. Time to collect some more training aids. T.C.

Forum Member

A real cheap tool is an old tire iron...still easy to find and it doesn't matter if you loose it...

MembersZone Subscriber

I've never seen an airbag set off by a screwdriver but I have gone to an extrication thread and seen a fight break out!

God bless and pull the ceiling as you go.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ron, thanks for the heads-up. I usually do a rail crush with the spreader and not a cut. It looks like there is enough room for that crush but in the future I will be staying as far away from the firewall as possible. Before this warning I didnt give it a thought, thanks.

God bless and pull the ceiling as you go.

Thread Information