Thread: Knee Problems

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Knee Problems

Got a question for the all knowing masses

I've got knee problems & am getting crepitus & the start of arthritis in both knees with the left one somewhat worse. Been taking motrin but that's not a long term solution for me.

Anybody ever try the glucosamine and chondroitin supplements & if so is one brand better (higher quality) than another? I'm leery of trying this just cuz it sounds like snake oil.

Forum Member

We joke that you have to have bad knees to join the First Responders group in my area. As to glucosamine: I remember hearing that a one year trial with half the patients taking glucosamine and the other a placibo. There was no difference between the two groups. I know it didn't seem to help with my bad knees. Can't comment on chondroitin.
    "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

Forum Member

Snake oil.....I always called it Robert-root-oil.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would disagree. I damaged my knees years ago in the infantry, and recently it had gotten to be quite a nuisance. I have been taking it for about six months, and my crepitus has disappeared completely. It took about two months taking 2x500mg daily for full results, but it definitely worked and now I take one 500mg daily for maintenance.

I was referred by a fellow FF who received a shoulder injury at fire school, and his doctor recommended it. Both my doctor and my pharmacist also take it, and swear by it.

I originally took the liquid, but the taste got to be too much for me, so now I take the horse pills. I originally took Jameson Brand Glucosamine with Chondroitin, and the last bottle I got was Kirkland Brand (walmart) and it also has MSM. My pharmacist says the Chondroitin stuff is the better bet.

It's cheap, so why not try it and see if it works for you.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

There's a Walmart there now??
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Glucosomine help my girlfriend and myself. Also tried the Coral Calcium. It did nothing. Give it a try, what the worse thing that could happen? Maybe waste $50 over a couple of months. I blow more than on other stupid things.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by RspctFrmCalgary
    There's a Walmart there now??
    In Cranbrook. It's gettin to be a little metropolis.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

I buggered my knee in 3 times and i found the best medicine was believing and convincing myself that there wasnt a problem anymore. Might not work for really bad cases.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

I've had bad knees forever, and tried glucosomine, and chondroitin. Neither worked for me, but others have told me they sware by it. All the successes that I've heard have been from injuries, rather than from a deterioration problem. For mine, exercise has been the only thing to help the pain.

Does anyone have opinions or experience with cortizone treatments?
    I've heard that works pretty good, but must be redone every few years. I haven't gotten bad enough yet to try it.
    There goes the neighborhood.

Thread Information