Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Post The Pro's and Con's of wristlets

I noticed the Firehouse poll was on wristlets...what is your feelings?

I like 'em ..........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

me too
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

as long as the correct type of gloves are used, i love them as well.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber F52Westside's Avatar

Love 'em

This one I can actually comment on from experience. I was burnt twice in the same wrist without the wristlets. Once was in a training burn and roof tar fell on my arm and glove and got between my wristlet of the glove and sleeve. The second time was just dumb, at an apartment fire we were making entry when the patio door let go and the wind came through and blew all the heat on us. The dumb part was I had not tucked the wristlet of the glove under the sleeve of the turnout very well.
    I still use the wristlet style gloves instead of the gauntlet style gloves even with wristlets in the turnout.

Oh, and just a sidebar, make sure you have good elastic in your hood.. I was also burnt at the same incident on my neck, the hood did not seal around my mask.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

I just use welding gloves and tuck them in under my sleeves and do the cuffs up.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Posted by PattyV:

I just use welding gloves and tuck them in under my sleeves and do the cuffs up.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Have something against your fingers? Pertaining to this issue, you probably have the most accurate signature quote I have ever seen.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

I wear gauntlet gloves w/ the wristlets on my coat. I absolutely hate wristlet style gloves. They're too hard to get on/off in a hurry, in my humble opinion.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Our bunker coats have wristlets on them, but I usually push them up and out of the way as my (personal) pair of gloves has the wristlet built in. Like SpartanGuy, I'm not really a fan of this style of glove (they're really hard to don wet)... but I've had them for several years, they're broken in nicely and I'm not ready to get rid of them just yet.

I have had wristlets on my coat for almost 10 years and I'd never go back to a coat that didn't have them.

My only complaint with them is that they slip,slide, and move around when trying to don my gloves - to remedy this I have them bar tacked between my fingers to make them "glovelets".

I also prefer the gauntlet style gloves for ease of donning/doffing and the tacked wristlets make sure that the interface area is always maintained.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Love mine. Only problem is after prolonged work with wet wristlets, they kinda give you a thumb wedgie and get irritating. If we're just packing up gear, I'll pop the wristlet off to the side.

Feels good to have good coverage. Had a guy in a structural collapse in our pre-wristlet days; only burns were 2nd degree on his wrist. The wristlets were a must when FEMA came calling in '03!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber cdemarse's Avatar

I dont have wristlets in my current bunker coat and wear gauntlet style gloves. I have had embers fall on my wrists but no biggie.

I wish I had them though.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

We have them, also. I like them becuase I like to wear the gauntlet gloves.....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

MemphisE34a, i am a rural firefighter, i dont spend much time sloshing around in puddles, but i do have to get close to the heat and the gloves do me fine. Speaking of not liking my hand, i busted it, so i have to write this left handed. funny that you mentioned that.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Thread Information