Default weight of full equipment

what is the weight of all equipment you would carry at one time? want to strap weight vest with that amount of weight when running.

MembersZone Subscriber

what is the weight of all equipment you would carry at one time? want to strap weight vest with that amount of weight when running.
    It depends on what position you are working in. Search for "Burden of saving lives" in the forums. And you'll get a good idea. Basicly anywhere from 80lbs to 130 lbs.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

I strongly suggest you DO NOT RUN WITH 130 LBS ON YOUR BACK!

I used to be a machine gunner in the Canadian Forces, and I used to frequently carry 150+ lbs with gear, weapon, and ammo. Myself and many of my regiment crew used to do the same thing (run with weight), and we all have some sort of knee problems as a result.

It is one thing to hump that weight up a few flights of stairs or around the fireground. Walking and climbing is very low impact by comparison. Running with extreme weight will really stress your joints beyond what they were designed for.

Work your cardio with light weight, and the adrenaline will take care of the rest on the fireground.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Mcaldwell, I was going to say the same thing, but not being all that fond of running, I figured I didn't have enough knowledge to back it up. Hey Iz, listen to his advice, I there's a BIG difference between fireground work and running. I mean, I can squat like a beast (despite my extreme hatred for that particular exercise), but I would never run with that amount of weight, even if I could run, lol.

What I would suggest is to just put your gear on (or, if you don't have gear, like if you're exercising to get fit before you join), then get that weight vest, but don't run with it, do the types of stuff that you'll be doing on the fireground, chop some wood, climb stairs, etc. Good luck with your exercising!

MembersZone Subscriber

Ooops I should have clairifed my reply. I also suggest you do stairs at a local high school football stadium. I used to do that when training for the physical exam.

I was thinking it would be quite obvious that to run with that much weight wouldn't be healthy and very awkward.

FTM-PTB

Thread Information