Thread: Marines

Thumbs up Marines

I am currently waiting to leave for rescruit training in September, i want to be a firefighter when i get out so im thinking bout changing my MOS to AFFR, I just wondering whather or not this would be a good move or just stick with Infantry my current MOS. thanks

Forum Member

military firefighting is obviously way different than civilian firefighing. i considered the same option with the Army but they denied me the job saying there wasnt enough training slots even though im already trained... whatever the case it should be fun and a good experience but i think the transition from military to civilian firefighter could be kinda tough.. good luck and stay safe.

Forum Member

I would change it to AFFR, because everyone is infantry. My friend went in and told the recruiter he wanted to be a Rifleman and he responded saying that everyone was.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Thats a primary thing about the USMC, even the cooks are riflemen.
    ~*Chris McCown*~
    FireFighter / Rescue Sergeant / NREMT-P

Forum Member

Drifting on a raft in the Carribean Ocean listening to Buffet.

Default Your Choice

You need to go in and do the job you want to do or you will not have a good experience in the military. I saw guys that hated what they did and blamed their recruiter for it and had a really bad and long four years. Dont let them tell you that you can't do something. The word can't has no place in the military.
    If you want to be a firefighter then tell them that you dont want to join unless that is the MOS you can have. You also need to get it in your contract that you are going to be in that MOS and not something else. They will tell you that you can get it changed in bootcamp. HORSEPUCKY! Get it done now or you are going to be a grunt. Personally I would join the Navy and be a Corpsman with the Marines all over again. That was the best job I have ever had! Look into the area of Special Forces as well. High speed training and loads of fun.

Send me an email if want more info.

Matt

Forum Member

"Every Marine a rifleman." Thank you Gen. Gray.

Getting your MOS changed if you have already signed a contract will be one of the moset difficult things that you can do. You have filled a slot to be a Grunt. It is possible, but difficult to do. Talk to your recruiter first, they need the numbers and they can talk to the jammers to see if you can fill a billet if it is available. Don't get your hopes up though.

Even if you can't do firefighting, your time in The Corps will serve you well in your life. A sense of discipline, order, and comraderie is never a bad thing to have in your life. You will be able to do more in your life as a civilian because of your time in.

As for pwc's comment, being a Corpsman assigned to the Marines will help you tremendously as well. Medical experience is going to help get you a job as a firefighter, especially since you'll get your EMT (and possibly Paramedic) paid for and the experience. As he said, as a Corpsman, you will be treated as if you were God Himself by your Marines.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

See if your recruiter can get you an affr spot, but it has always been a pretty long waiting list if they could even get you a spot. The demand for the position is pretty high, the ASVAB requirement has be historically relatively low, and so you have a large qualified group going for a very limited number of spaces. In 1989 the DEP wait was about a year and a half. Which is one reason it was not my MOS. This also means no signing bonus on top of the wait. All the guys I knew in the MOS loved it, a few got positions on the rescue bird, a CH-46 named Pedro, and got secondary MOS's as rescue swimmers and were put through paramedic school at the USMC's expense. That is pretty much the only way to be a "Marine Medic" rather then a Navy Corpsman. So the job holds great opportunities as well. Since you have a ship date, it is going to be tough to get them to help you with this very much, but good luck. Can't hurt anything by asking.

Semper Fi,
    Dennis
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Good luck changing your MOS. ARFF (Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting)is a challenging field, and ARFF Marines (MOS 7051) work 84-96 hr weeks on station, more deployed. Bonafide emergencies are rare, at least in the states. Over at Al Asad things are a bit busier, but a bunch of my guys did 7 months there and all they had were some minor overshoots and an engine fire. One of them is receiving the Firefighter of the Year for Heroism for his actions during a rocket attack.

Don't expect ARFF to be all action-it's mostly That said, there is a lot of training, and you'll still get some "trigger time" a couple of times a year.

Depending on where you want to be a firefighter when you get back, the experience and certifications can help. Most states will accept or give reciprocity to the DoD fire certifications. Additionally, most ARFF sections will give you an opportunity to get your emergency medical technician license. However, in the event you can't change the MOS, know that being a MARINE is the most important thing you will earn. It will (usually) give you an edge in the employment process.

Best of luck at boot camp. I hope you're getting in shape now.

MSgt V

Forum Member

Originally posted by gunnyv
    Best of luck at boot camp. I hope you're getting in shape now.

MSgt V
    Top, be nice to the boy. You're going to scare him.

The title Marine is something that you will earn, and even if you don't like your time in The Corps, it will be a sense of self pride for you for the rest of your life. You earned the title on your own, shedding a bit of blood, sweat, and maybe a few tears along the way.

Are you going to San Diego or The Island? This question needs to be answered.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

Originally posted by DaSharkie

Top, be nice to the boy. You're going to scare him.

The title Marine is something that you will earn, and even if you don't like your time in The Corps, it will be a sense of self pride for you for the rest of your life. You earned the title on your own, shedding a bit of blood, sweat, and maybe a few tears along the way.

Are you going to San Diego or The Island? This question needs to be answered.
    He wants to be a Marine, no way he is going to San Diego!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Im going to the Island, and yes ive been working out and running, i really cant wait to leave, but then again im nervous as hell, thanks everybody for the responces, im still split 50/50 on my decission, as a rifleman or firefighter, thanks

Forum Member

Dennis,

Exactly what I was looking for. If he was going to San Diego I was going to make sure he brought some sun tan lotion. They'd issue him the sunglasses when he reported aboard.

You know 13 years ago August 12th I reported to PISC for 12 weeks of fun in the sun with the billions of sand fleas, fire ants, snakes, gators, and the occassional shark. I have never been to a place that was so humid 24 hours a day at The Island is. I remember walking out of the barracks at zero dark thirty and the utilities just becoming soaked in a matter of seconds.

You shall have to let us know upon your graduation so we may welcome you the only true brotherhood there is.

Best wishes.

Oh yeah, the only downside I recall to the ARFF field was that the promotions were really slow past LCPL and the P-19s were older than most of the guys running them. But being Marines, they guys always made the best of it. Perhaps the Top could let us know if anything has changed.

Forum Member

Things are about the same-same P-19s, they've been "refurbished", which means they slapped a new coat of paint on them. Promotions go hot and cold, but they used to be even slower in the grunts. That may have changed with a war on and 2 new battalions standing up.

I happen to have passed through Diego, and noone issued me any sunglasses, just sunburned ears Rained once in the 81 days I was there. Could have used earplugs to block out the jets from the airport though. I've never seen a DI so ****ed off as when he's drilling you on the grinder and gets his command drowned out by a plane overhead. You PI guys had gators and swamp to keep you honest-at Diego, you watched that Freedom Bird take off every 3 minutes, with only a fence and some angry DIs in the way.

Forum Member

Things are about the same-same P-19s, they've been "refurbished", which means they slapped a new coat of paint on them. Promotions go hot and cold, but they used to be even slower in the grunts. That may have changed with a war on and 2 new battalions standing up.

I happen to have passed through Diego, and noone issued me any sunglasses, just sunburned ears Rained once in the 81 days I was there. Could have used earplugs to block out the jets from the airport though. I've never seen a DI so ****ed off as when he's drilling you on the grinder and gets his command drowned out by a plane overhead. You PI guys had gators and swamp to keep you honest-at Diego, you watched that Freedom Bird take off every 3 minutes, with only a fence and some angry DIs in the way.
    Top, your description of "refurbished" is classic. I love it.

As for your time in San Diego, we'll just say that not everyone can be perfect.

As for not getting your sunglasses, you evidently ****ed off the supply guys. You should know better than that. They are the most important folks to make friends with in the battalion.

The gators, snakes, and sharks may have kept me honest, but damned if I didn't look across Port Royal Sound and see all the activity. Drove me nutty on firewatch at zero dark thirty.

Worst thing was the day I graduated and realized that the main road leading on/off the island was right there at the end of the street that 1st RTB was on. Talk about being stupid.

Oh, and who would have thunk that you can do a 16 mile hump around an island that friggin' small?

Semper Fi!

MembersZone Subscriber

OK gents...let a former 7051 thru here...make a hole

OK. If you have ANY questions, email me.
    rscamaro73 @ nastyz28 DOT com

I spent 12 years active duty ARFF. Worked my way up to Section Leader, and held other billets in the MOS. Hell, I even got to spend time as the Company Gunny at MCAS Camp Pendleton for a spell since I knew my chit inside and out

Like mentioned, there IS NOT alot of 'action'...maybe some 'chip warning lights' , hung landing gear (even on the 53's) , and the occasional 'wet start' are the norm. What AREN'T the norm are the 'full on' crashes on the airfield (or even off).

P-19's are a joke. I came in in 90 and they were falling apart then. The rehab was even more of a joke. Trucks started dropping out of the sky and into the Motor Pool lots in deadline status. Things we NEVER had problems with (engines and trannies for example) started taking dumps. Frames were cracking. I dunno....but someone made off like a bandit (company that initially did it went out of business and sold off its stuff to someone else that jacked the parts prices up 3 fold).

Anyways.....school is now in Goodfellow AFB, TX (San Angelo). Its quite a time there (considering the school was only 19 training days when I went thru it), but you get REAL WORLD certs now. Just don't get used to the chowhalls there

Some advice...if you wanna do this, then give it 110%. Get under the wing of a GOOD NCO (you'll know who's worth a crap after about 2-3 weeks on section). Work on getting your licenses (its a big deal in this MOS). Study your NATOPS manuals. I can STILL rattle off info from it ALot of the training you do is REPEDITIVE. VERY TEDIOUS. But then again, some classes are out of the area (like swift water rescue or hi/low angle rescue) and are like a training vacation. Those classes are the carrots that get dangled in front of everyone to see who deserves to go. I shafted myself several years in a row sending my guys to EMT school while I never went. Oh well....hope they got something out of it.

By the time you get done with bootcamp, MCT, and crash school....it'll be close to your 9 month - 1 yr mark in....keep your head and your rear wired together and do what you need for promotion (MCI's, good PFT, Good Rifle range scores, BST knowledge) and you'll see promotions flying at you.

I kinda wish someone would have explained all this to me when I was a young devildog....woulda kept me out of trouble early on....lol.

YUT! Don't hesitate to ask me anything if the question pops up. I still know ALOT of Marines still in the MOS.....

Carry on....

Forum Member

Thats a primary thing about the USMC, even the cooks are riflemen.
    Every person in the Australian Defence Force is given the same training, the same as i assume it is with the USMC, i think its a great idea.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DaSharkie
    [B]Dennis,

You shall have to let us know upon your graduation so we may welcome you the only true brotherhood there is.

Hey jarheads, just so you know its not the only true brotherhood, try running into a burning building with someone. But enough of harassing you guys, just so you know this isn't a bashing, My fater served 5 years in the Corps, 8 mos in Vietnam and is currently standing guard w/ ST. Peter, and my younger brother is currently Active as a field MP and did 2 tours in Iraq, and should all go well I may try for a tour after I leave Iraq as a civilian Firefighter for WSI (I am currently in Baghdad waiting for my bas assignment, amybe I'll get stuck with a few of you. Semper Fi

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

Forum Member

Default MOS choice

The way things are right now, if you want to be a Firefighter after the Corps, you should try to go ARFF. Odds are better of getting out in one piece, or at all, than if you go 03.

Forum Member

Hey Camaro,

Where'd you spend all that time? We might have crossed paths, or you can bet we know alot of the same folks. Ditto on the P-19s-we got some of the same vehicles back worse than we sent them off. Crazy problems, frame cracks, pump works but no pressure on the reel line unless the roof turret is engaged. What are you doing post-Corps?

vteclude3, listen to Camaro, he gives good advice. Only thing he forgot to warn you about at Goodfellow-"fastmovers" aren't jets, they're Air Force enlisted females And they LOVE Marines. A lot of young devildogs get in trouble there for that reason. Even worse, they show up in the Fleet forgetting that they are MARINES.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well....spent 4/91-4/92 in Oki (Futenma [station & MWSS 172] & Ie Shima); then 4/92-4/98 at Quantico (one of the famous runway sweeper drivers) ; then 4/98-2/02 at Camp Pendleton - MWSS 372 & MCAS (several trips back and forth).

Ever hear of a guy named ' Jorgensen ' [that'd be me] Last I heard I was still known (by my actions) out at Ie Shima for flipping a govvy doing donuts...lol. (Like I said, I got into trouble once).

Those A/F chicks....trust me...1/2 of them want a ticket out, so DO NOT get married, and DO NOT knock any of them up. Treat them like stamps and carry on

That part about acting like a Marine when you leave that base it no joke. Even though there's a Marine detachment there that teaches, you'd better maintain tha bearing the whole time out, cuz its a different world when you get to a duty station. Act like an *** once and you'll be labeled a 'chit bird' for ever. Trust me when I say I weeded a few out that didn't fit the mold (aka kicked the hell out)...and even had to bust a few of my better guys for ignorant actions (like getting their tongues pierced). Had to be fair to everyone...and the rules are the rules. Alot of the guys liked me cuz I made training fun and I 'pushed the rules' to make the training better (like firehoses charged and ran thru the building or setting small fires in training areas for them to put out)...but everyone was safe (that's a big thing now a days - safety).

AHHHH! I'm rambling....I'm currently working in a Chemical Manufacturing plant (for the time being)...looking for a F/F job near Philly (might move south to Dulles/National and try them out)....also working on a pyrotechnicians certification (yeah, I love playing with fire)

Forum Member

Hey jarheads, just so you know its not the only true brotherhood, try running into a burning building with someone.
    Once a Marine, Always a Marine
    Been there done that. I guess after The Corps, I just never felt as close of a bond to the guys I worked with as those in my platoon or company. I have never had friends in my life like those that I made when I was serving as a Marine with 4 exceptions: my wife (please refrain from hurling or laughing too hard), and two friends of mine that are former Army dogs that I have totally bonded with as brothers in arms.

Forum Member

First in and last out. The marines are the only branch that matters.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

CaptainMikey-Marine or Marines is always Capitalized

rscamaro73-you know a cat named Peterson, J.D.? He's a Cpl, just joined us from the IRR, said he was at Pendleton 3 years until he got out a couple of years ago. Blondish, quiet kid (from what I've seen so far). At some point you must have passed him FAPing in or out-I just hope you didn't get to know him while you were Co. Gunny

We're heading to Quantico on saturday for our annual 2 weeks. 1st week is supposed to be all martial arts-ouch Be glad you got your 30something arse out before that black and blue mess started.

Forum Member

Thanks for getting to that first Top. I hate seeing that word "marine" used in place of the title "Marine" by the twits in the media. Ticks me off big time.

A little NJP for CaptainMikey.

MembersZone Subscriber

rscamaro73-you know a cat named Peterson, J.D.? He's a Cpl, just joined us from the IRR, said he was at Pendleton 3 years until he got out a couple of years ago. Blondish, quiet kid (from what I've seen so far). At some point you must have passed him FAPing in or out-I just hope you didn't get to know him while you were Co. Gunny

We're heading to Quantico on saturday for our annual 2 weeks. 1st week is supposed to be all martial arts-ouch Be glad you got your 30something arse out before that black and blue mess started.
    That name sounds VERY familiar.....I can't put a face to him, but I remember a kid with that name,....blonde.....now its bugging me....lol.

I had started working on my TAN belt a while before I got out. THat was some fun bruising Those 'grippers' they do really work after a couple weeks

A couple guys at the Crash Crew at Quantico still remember me, and night know of a few of the retired guys there in the area ( Gunner Casey, Gunny Pizzuto (P-funk), and Top Becher. I still chat with the gunner and the Top on a crash crew message list. I can pass a link if anyone was interested....

Thread Information