Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar

Default IFSI FFII Distance

Does anyone have experience with distant learning from IFSI?

Me and another guy are thinking about doing their Distance Learning FF II.

If anyone has any positives or negatives about the program it would be great. Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

It's my opinion that the FFII on-line is kind of expensive for what you are getting. I believe it is $500 per module. And you've still got to get your practical evolutions checked off somehow. I know that the Southern Kane Training Assoc. is charging $800 for night/weekend academy and $1300 for M-F, and you walk out finished. I don't imagine North Aurora would work for you, but I can't reconcile the cost difference. I would say if you are willing to spend $500 per mod, take the extra $200 and spend it on a hotel room in North Aurora or Aurora and get it done there.

Southern Kane County Training Assoc

I will say that FSI puts on one hell of a program overall.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

I believe that FF II just became a Cornerstone program. Get 15 guys and it's free.
    Expense is a downside and you still have the practicals to do.
    I'm not saying that it isn't worth the money, but if the budget is tight, then Cornerstone is the way to go.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

We've got 2 guys in the FFII Cornerstone class at a neighboring dept. They drive about 15 miles a couple nights a week. It's free but they do have to go to a test site to take the module tests. In their case, it's a 50 mile drive but only 3 times for the whole class. Like CR said, get 15 people from as many departments as you need and you can get it for free. Cornerstone's supposed to have a bunch of money so get in and get some of it.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

It is $250 per module. Cost is not an issue as we pay for it up front and once you get certified in whatever classes you took, you get reimbursed.

I was told that our training officer is able to sign off on the practicals...

$250 isn't too bad. If you've got somebody to sign you off on the practicals, you're golden.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Originally posted by jaybird210

Southern Kane County Training Assoc

I will say that FSI puts on one hell of a program overall.
    Sorry for going off topic but is it possible to get your FFII without having a sponsor from this place or any place for that matter?
    Last edited by NickIF; 07-06-2005 at 10:03 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

If you try to get it through IFSI, you'll have to have a fire department chief sign off on it, and you can't take the OSFM tests if you are not on a department.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Any state of IL certified Instructor I can teach FFII. They can also sign off on your practicals and sign you up for the OSFM tests. They do not have to be affiliated with IFSI. However, as mentioned, you will have to be with a F.D. and your chief will have to sign for it. He also will have to keep copies of your training records for 5 yrs (I think that is what it is), and he will get copies of your test scores.
    The success of a fire department depends on the willingness of its members to put aside their differences and work for the benefit of the dept.
    www.rescuelounge.com

Forum Member

knowing the right people in the right places is it unheard of having a friend pull strings to get a Chief to sign off on you even if you're not on the department?

Nick, any chief that would do that should be stripped of his authority. That is certainly something I would NEVER do.

There is a reason why the State Fire Marshal's Office requires the people they certify to be bona fide members of a fire department.

I would call them if you have any issues. Or go through your local commuity colelege.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

You never know who you could get to sign it...
    Last edited by BVFD1983; 09-29-2005 at 12:04 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Firefighter certification signed by neighboring chief

Sunday, April 24, 2005

By Michael Drakulich, The Star

A firefighter at the center of a Steger civil lawsuit got the former chief of a neighboring dissolved fire department to sign documents for the firefighter's certifications, according to state documents obtained by The Star.

The firefighter, William Joyce, is a focus in a civil suit filed by former Steger Fire Chief Alan Mannel against the village of Steger.

Joyce has not been charged with any wrongdoing in connection with the matter. He was stripped of his title of captain, suspended from duty, then later reinstated as a firefighter/EMT several years ago.

Joyce's certification became an issue again this spring when Mannel filed the lawsuit. Mannel filed in late March, saying he was fired when he informed village officials he wanted to fire Joyce, who tried to "fraudulently" obtain certifications from the state, according to the suit.

In a memo from the state Fire Marshal's office to Steger Mayor Lou Sherman dated April 15, 2004, it was indicated that Joyce completed course work for Fire Officer I and Fire Officer II certifications.

When Joyce asked Mannel in the fall of 2003 to sign the appropriate paperwork to be filed with the state, the memo states Mannel refused and said he would certify Joyce as a "provisional officer" until Joyce gained one year of experience.

According to the memo, Joyce went to John Mascaro, former chief of the dissolved Olympia Gardens Fire Department, and had him sign the documents.

James August, the fire marshal's general counsel who wrote the memo, stated Joyce "circumvented the process by seeking the signature of a person other than the chief of the Steger Fire Department," August wrote.

"I am concerned about Mr. Joyce's honesty, integrity and character, and the impact it could have on the village of Steger, its citizens and the dedicated members of the Steger Fire Department," the memo states.

The state temporarily suspended all of Joyce's certifications until it could investigate the matter.

Joyce is the son of the late Elmer Joyce, longtime fire chief in Steger.

Following the state's investigation, August said that out of respect for Joyce's father and not to ruin Joyce's fire career, the state would reinstate all of his certifications except Fire Officer I and II.

Joyce was accepted by the state as a provisional fire officer, but the state would not certify him until Steger's fire chief provided documentation that Joyce met all requirements.

Joyce defended going to Mascaro to have the documents signed.

"To my knowledge, he (Mascaro) was still the chief of Olympia Gardens. I was a volunteer with that fire department," Joyce said.

Joyce reiterated that he did not know Mannel was trying to fire him. He said he knew only that he was suspended.

He disagreed with August's letter about his character and said he did not know why August would write such a letter.

Sherman, who said he has still not seen a copy of Mannel's suit, said the issue was a personal conflict between Mannel and Joyce.

Mannel did fire Joyce, but the village board reinstated him after Mannel was fired.

Sherman said the village board did not take Joyce's actions lightly, which is why he was stripped of his rank of captain and brought back as a firefighter/emergency medical technician.

Sherman said Joyce also was given permission by his late father to join the Olympia Gardens Fire Department. But Sherman said he was not aware the department had been dissolved when Joyce wanted Mascaro to sign for his certifications.

Sherman also denied the board was giving preferential treatment to Joyce because of his father.

"The village board voted to reinstate him as a firefighter. He was brought back because he was on the fire department before that. But he was not reinstated as an officer," Sherman said.

Al Martinez, Steger's fire chief, said Joyce deserves his provisional officer status because he completed the required course work.

But there are other steps to being certified as Fire Officer I and II, such as teaching class and being the commander during a fire.

Joyce cannot do either because he is not a fire officer.

But Martinez said he believed Joyce would try to work toward becoming an officer again.

Forum Member

I just came across this old thread and thought I'd explain the Distance Learning program in case anyone else is every looking for info on it.
    First of all, its a really good way to get your FFII if you have a lot of time constraints. The course is designed to take up about 4 hours of your time each week.
    First, you of course must be affiliated with a Fire Dept. and have your chief or training officer's permission to participate. Second, you must have a Certified Instructor I to sign off completion of all your practicals.
    Each Module cost $250, and the bill usually is due about half way through the module. And yes you can pay one at a time. You can even skip around; you don't have to take Mods A, B, C in order.
    With the completion of each module, you must sit for the state exam at a licensed testing site of your choice. They give you a huge list and you pick the site and date best suited for you. At the completion of all 3 mods, you must take HazMat Awareness and turn in all practical forms.
    Each week, and for each chapter, students must attend a chat session conducted by a different field instructor each week. Some are veterans, some retired, and some active, but they are all very knowledgable and very nice! Each one gives you their home phone number, cell phone number and any other way to contact them and are ALWAYS willing to answer questions and help out. One homework assignment a week is conducted also.
    So its a really good way to get started if perhaps work or family take up a good chunk of your time.

The program admistrator's name is Rich Valenta and he is available for contact through IFSI's website.

Thread Information